Support Your Team, Hereford United.

bobby47

Whatever the rights and wrongs of our Clubs current predicament, and the wrongs are many in number, I ain't boycotting my team any longer. I'll be damned if I do! From hereon, I'm going to watch a game and being labelled a 'scab', a 'rotter' and a 'stinker' holds no fears for me.

They can do what they like to me. I'm going back to watch Hereford United and I'd urge every single one of you to gather up your common sense, stop being lead by fools who've little of no association with logic and rational thinking and return to support the youngsters who are wearing our teams colours.

The Leases that are at the heart of the problem? Now, I couldn't care less. It's now of no concern to me and if in the fullness of time my attendance supporting my team turns into a huge mistake on my part, then still, I couldn't care less. I'm going to watch my local team before its all to late.

And the lads who choose to boycott the Club? Well I ain't scared of them either. They can do whatever they wish to me and still I'll continue to hand my money over and go into the Street to support my team.

They can deploy there finest lads to monitor my movements from the Commercial, into the Old Burial Ground, and witness me staggering along Blackfriars Street full of ale shouting,'I'm going to watch the game' and its of no concern to me.

They can surround me, tie me up in United scarves and with the aid of a long wynch and hemp rope they can hoist me upwards and tether me to the floodlights and it'll be of no concern to me. In fact, rather than bemoan my predicament I'll shout down, 'thank you lads. A little bit higher please. I can't quite see the Merton End of the ground.

And even then it won't stop me. Never! They can scale the floodlights holding a bucket of Lugg water and a Cattle Prod and subject me to intolerable cruelty as I hang there submitting my ravaged body to fifty thousand volts of electricity and I'll howl with laughter throughout the terrible ordeal, screaming, 'we've just won a corner. Give me more voltage. I'm having the time of my life up here. Thank you all so very bloody much'.

And several hours after the game, when some Steward spots me hanging upside down tethered to the floodlights and finds it within himself to show me a little mercy and cut me down from my suspension, I'll do what I normally do.

I'll stagger back home, sink a few more pints, buy my large mixed kebab, rush home and still have enough energy left to tell my wife why she was so lucky to have found me amongst all the other idiots that were so readily available some forty years ago.

Stop being lead by people who know even less than you. They are wannabee's who want to run a football club and its you that'll pay the ultimate price of having no Hereford United to support.

Go back to the ground. Stand in the place they you've stood in for years and support what might be the last few weeks of Hereford United.

Think for yourselves instead of being carried along on a wave of bile, spite and hysteria that'll only serve to speed up the decline of our football club and see us playing Sinkums in some top of the table clash at Aylestone Park as our team battles to get promoted from League Three in the Herefordshire County League.

Bobby - well said in your own inimitable way.

I have been to all the home games this season, standing on the Meadow End where I have since 1965. The football is not of the highest quality but it is honest endeavour and much better than the tripe Davey, Pitman and Foyle served up.

If I see you tethered to the floodlights have no fear there will be no rotten eggs or tomatoes from me just freedom for you. I just hope for your sake that if they do tie you up they manage to get you facing the pitch and not the OLM!!

A/V, I can't for the life of me understand why we've allowed ourselves to go down this route. It's as though everyone has been whipped up into a frenzy. Its madness. We've no cards to play. Our fate is not in our hands so we might as well enjoy our local team while we've still got it.

You and I both have exchanged our terse words whenever we've disagreed. Our exchanges are nothing compared to the bile and spite that they heap on one another on Bulls Banter. Reading the threads you'd think it was a vast game of Cluedo. Conspiracy theories over the leases and who did what, when and with what. The normal conclusion is Mr Keyte or Mr Agomba did it, did it deliberately and did it to spite us all. Course, nobody thinks for a moment about the impact this is having upon the kids who now represent our Club. There's no thought about the consequences of our actions, and the word 'business' is completely lost on all those who claim they want their Club back, never thinking for a moment that it was business that's saved us before and it'll be business that saves us again.

At the root of the problem regarding the current ownership is the emergence of Mr Mark Ellis who was a gift from God for all those who yearned to dislike and mistrust the new proprietor. This young chap came in, and keen to impress and convince all he knew what he was doing, he embellished his antecedent history thus making himself and his colleagues easy targets for ridicule and criticism. Instead of thinking, 'oh well he's been silly and he's exaggerated his achievements' we went for the jugular and from thereon the hysteria spread and woe betide anyone who dared disagree with the howling mob.

For some, they now yearn for the Club to go belly up so that we can play at Aykestone Park in a new stadium and go by the name of Hereford Thistle and rejoice in the knowledge that 'we've got our Club back' and, even though we've buggar all left and it'll take a century to ever get back to where we fell from, they seem to be happy about this.

It's madness. We were knackered yesterday. We're knackered today and I'm certain beyond much doubt that well be knackered tomorrow and next week, so why continue with the boycott? It now makes no sense at all and the sooner some of our group start applying logic and reason to their thinking the better it'll be for all the support of the legendary Hereford United.

It sounds like a civil war of words has broken out on bulls banter bobby? That's not going to help the situation wot it needs is someone with money & I dare say most who use bulls banter have not got the capital to take the club on & move it forward? mark Ellis thou may have? & it's sounds from wot your saying that they have shot him down in flames? Not a good move if that is the case?

Unity is wot is need now not division within the supporters themselves,that doesn't achieve anything only that of a negative impact if the fans want the club to survive they need to rally altogether!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hereford United Football Club  

03 September 2014

•  

"HUFC frequently asked questions 3 September

Herefordshire Council is a creditor of Hereford United Football Club (1939) Limited. During the recent attempt to set up a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), the council was listed as one of the club’s creditors.

The council took no part in the CVA, as it considered that other creditors were likely to be more affected by the outcome. Whilst the council is owed money by the football club, the amount would not affect the financial viability of the local authority. However, this might not be the case for smaller creditors, where the amount owed could be the difference between remaining in business or not.

The council has not joined in the current legal proceedings by other creditors seeking the winding up of the club. If those proceedings are successful, the council will recover the same percentage of the debt owed as the other unsecured creditors.

The council will continue to seek payment for the outstanding debt, which to date has not been settled."

So £65k would not affect the financial viability of HC but it would have paid for a bit of grass cutting or gone to help some  really desperate elderly and vulnerable.  How relaxed the finance team of HC are. But there you go it is not their money they are handling so a different view is taken and that's probably why the Council is in the mess it's in.   

Hereford United Football Club  

03 September 2014

•  

"HUFC frequently asked questions 3 September

Herefordshire Council is a creditor of Hereford United Football Club (1939) Limited. During the recent attempt to set up a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), the council was listed as one of the club’s creditors.

The council took no part in the CVA, as it considered that other creditors were likely to be more affected by the outcome. Whilst the council is owed money by the football club, the amount would not affect the financial viability of the local authority. However, this might not be the case for smaller creditors, where the amount owed could be the difference between remaining in business or not.

The council has not joined in the current legal proceedings by other creditors seeking the winding up of the club. If those proceedings are successful, the council will recover the same percentage of the debt owed as the other unsecured creditors.

The council will continue to seek payment for the outstanding debt, which to date has not been settled."

So £65k would not affect the financial viability of HC but it would have paid for a bit of grass cutting or gone to help some  really desperate elderly and vulnerable.  How relaxed the finance team of HC are. But there you go it is not their money they are handling so a different view is taken and that's probably why the Council is in the mess it's in.   

I did see that write up by Bill Tanner in the HT about this ...

I don't think anyone would argue that the Council are not just dealing with your average punter here ... And an unpaid £65k bill is obviously not going to send the Council to the wall ... 

But to the General Public it sends out the wrong message ... Loads reading the local paper won't care less about football and will just wonder why £65k owed is not being chased more urgently ... There may be a reason but it certainly is not transparent to me ...

As others have pointed out [elsewhere] the Council chase up pretty sharpish the Council Tax defaulters and if anyone deprived the Council of £3 for parking at the new Rockfield car park they would get a penalty notice from the Council and if that wasn't paid then the Council would be like a dog with a bone sorting that default out ... 

All very unsatisfactory ... 

• 2 weeks later...

Came across this Commons Chamber Debate

Commons Hansard: 4 September 2014

Jesse Norman introduces the debate with reference to Hereford United and other MPs contribute their concerns for non-league football. An interesting debate telling us how bad things are for our youngsters aspiring to play football and the position communities are left in when things go wrong. The FA has a lot to answer for.

Ah but ....................

As per the HT a little while ago HC have done a u turn on the debt so that their can be redevelopment etc etc  I am unable to copy the link perhaps somebody cleverer than I can do the honours!  

HEREFORDSHIRE Council has joined the winding up order against Hereford Unitedsaying it seeks “full recovery†of all monies owed to it by the club.

But the council remains willing to enter talks on deferring payment if it can assume full responsibility for redeveloping the club’s Edgar Street ground and its respective ends.

In a statement the council said it now had to balance its wish to see football maintained at Edgar Street with its responsibility to recover monies owed.

Hereford United Football Club (1939) Limited was informed of the council’s decision today (Monday).

Until now, the council has not been listed among the club’s creditors.

The council confirmed that it was still willing to discuss deferring payment with the club – over a set period of time - if the council assumes responsibility for redevelopment of the ground and ends.

If this is agreed, the club will allowed to “focus on footballâ€.

The council has been taking legal advice on its stance towards United since the Hereford Times revealed that the council was not previously a party to the winding up order because the £65,000 owed in rent arrears, business rates and legal fees didn’t affect the authority’s “financial viabilityâ€.

Hereford Times

Just a rehash of the Council statement. All seems a bit seedy to me. Could easily be interpreted in a cynical way. Carrot offered to win a potential bigger prize. Should a Council be acting in this way? 

HMRC seem to be playing this down the middle as a bog standard debt and I buy into the idea that HUFC is not a regular debtor to the local Council ~ with the obvious Community interest but there is a danger that this unseemly to-ing and fro-ing could give the impression that the Council is delving into the bribery/blackmail area ... 

I must be missing something! Surely, the idea behind the boycott is that no funds are delivered to the present owners of HUFC1939 (the controlling company), 'cos they are officially practised crooks. If that company goes bust, the Council and the FA will have the opportunity to grant a Phoenix club (presumably run by the Supporters' Trust) the chance to run Hereford United (or whatever name is given) in the wider interests of the community - as opposed to the avarice of a bunch of chancers