Getting the message across?

megilleland

Hi Roger!

I always think very carefully before I post a single comment. I do believe that as individuals we are all accountable for the content of our posts.

I would certainly never want to post anything deliberately hurtful, or untrue.

It's really not about "bad mouthing" it's more about exposing things,they would rather remain quiet about.

This really is about deeper problems/issues.Things that folk really need to be aware is going on, but could make life extremely uncomfortable. That said, I would stand by every word I have ever posted.

Have you read Flams excellent link?

The fate of a whistle blower in Hereford, is generally not a happy one!

Hence the need for self preservation......but I take my hat off to you!

Hi Roger!

It's really not about "bad mouthing" it's more about exposing things,they would rather remain quiet about.

Difficult is that one. If you are within the Organisation you are unhappy about the detected Net moan will be immediately filed into the 'disloyal' box of the Investigator for that Organisation ... Start point then is probably P45 and hope for the best! And thank you for your friendly greeting! :-) 

Evening Roger - friendly is my middle name!

I do think there is a difference between someone who say, is complaining about the lack of overalls in a DIY shop.....to posters who have genuine concerns, and evidence in some cases, of alleged wrong doing by a local authority, or public body.....don't you??

That's the rumour Grid Knocker!

Please don't try to guess which Cabinet member - I shall take offence if you think I have any features which bear a likeness to Harry - as Bobby has already stated, that his eyes are too close together! And didn't somebody else have ears that were a tad lop sided???

No. Please don't even hazard a guess.

It will only end in tears.

Mine probably.

Nice find Denise, it's sobering to see it in black & white! There was me thinking Public Sector workers were in the middle of a pay freeze! Makes it all the more hard to take when it's common knowledge that for the select there have been pay increases and roles created to the detriment of our County, our children and our elderly!

Seems strange that 24dash.com, published at the offices of Allpay, Whitestone should be blasting fat cat salaries in the public sector. The editor Jon Land, who also sits on the Board of HH may be trying to divert attention away from the big salaries also found in the Housing Associations. Mr P Brown at HH, the Chief Executive takes home, excluding pension contributions £112,311 (2012: £109,572) not much compared to other HAs, but this list gives you an idea of how much the other CEOs are taking home after collecting your rent.

Council has issued this statement on their website under News: 06 August 2014

Herefordshire Council’s chief executive is paid £145,000 a year and not £281,166 as stated in the recent Taxpayers’ Alliance report.

The report is using out of date figures from 2012/13 and refers to the salary for the combined role of chief executive for both NHS Herefordshire and Herefordshire Council.

We publish details about our senior management roles and salaries along with information on our pay and conditions on our website: www.herefordshire.gov.uk/government-citizens-and-rights/democracy/transparency-senior-management-salaries-and-roles.

Is this combined role still in force or are there now two separate posts attracting larger salaries?

HEREFORDSHIRE has just had its biggest ever economic cash boost of £43 million and it appears to have gone unnoticed.

The money was the result of months of hard work by officers and members working with the Local Enterprise Partnership to put a strong bid to the government for three projects – the Inner City Link Road, the road from the A49 to the A465 and the Model Farm at Ross.

These projects are key parts of our plans for economic growth. The roads will facilitate the new houses, businesses and jobs we so badly need.

Our goal of opportunity and rising income for all, especially the young, depends on growing the economy and so this money is wonderful news for Herefordshire.

We have had to make huge savings over the last two years and there are more to be made. But this great news, coming on top of the success of the new retail development and the livestock market, shows that this administration is doing the right things.

For groups set up specifically to oppose these developments it must be galling to see how successful and popular they are. No doubt, like Cassandra, they will now revert to predictions of future gloom and refuse to enjoy the successes. How sad.

Meanwhile, from those of us with a more positive outlook, and on behalf of all Herefordians, I offer my congratulations and thanks to everyone involved in this latest £43 million success.

TONY JOHNSON Herefordshire Council leader

Letter in the HT this week from our esteemed leader.  Little groups set up to oppose successes have had a mention.  Is this really going to gain friends and support?

I will judge how successful this development is over the next few years! Barely three months is far too early to start hanging out the bunting.

We are in the "honeymoon"period at the moment. When the subsidised/free rents have run out, the weather is miserable, and the "Oooh! A new shop!" Excitement has died down, if it's still doing well then, AND High Town is benefitting, as we have constantly been told it will, then I may concede defeat.......but not until then!

So no, Tony, I do not find this "galling" in the slightest!

And by the way, The Cassandra metaphor......you are using it in the wrong context!

Cassandra was the one who could predict bad things happening, but nobody believed her! But her warnings were always true and valid!

Take heed Tony! Here is a Cassandra prediction for you......this time next year, you will not be voted back in!

Cllr Johnson

For the Leader of Herefordshire Council to specifically ignore questions from the people who unwittingly voted you into the position you now hold and abuse, it must be galling to see how unpopular you really are! How sad and very unprofessional for someone holding a Public Office to take to Social media to vent at the publics right to free speech!

I myself do not have any future prophecies of doom and gloom, I will leave the fortune telling to you since it requires a very good imagination and you clearly are delusional!

For now Councillor perhaps you can answer the following question? Which in case you've missed it, it's on the same page as your outburst/ letter.

Rather than blowing the trumpet of your over priced suits please explain to the people of Hereford, why -

Hereford Council has failed to deliver on promises to rejuvenate High Town?

I was also saddened to read about the poor young man who has waited four years on the a Housing List only to be removed under the new legislation! Maybe you could explain to him why several members of staff under your administration managed to jump that hurdle!!

Can you also advise who we complain to about your unprofessional outburst? This is not the way we expect you to behave....

• 4 weeks later...
Hereford Times Thursday 4 September 2014 in Letters

WE are about to submit our Core Strategy to the Government Inspector for examination and readers will be aware that we have just been awarded a £43m grant for infrastructure.

Our strategy has been and remains focussed on improving the county economy which has been historically affected by low wages and high house prices, where the young leave for jobs elsewhere or don’t return after university.

We must help existing businesses to grow and attract new ones. That means more and affordable homes, employment sites and projects like the new university. Our plans for the county up to 2031 identify major housing and employment sites for over 16,000 homes and 7,000 jobs in the county. Over 4,000 of the jobs will be at the Enterprise Zone.

This growth will need new infrastructure, much of it funded by the government. The £43 million recently awarded grant for transport packages will improve access in the south and centre of the city and help attract the new employers.

The city centre package will support brownfield development of commercial and housing needs, improved access to the rail station and enhancements to streets.

The south package will improve access to the Enterprise Zone and bring transport improvements in the residential areas south of the river. Given the importance of the A49, we have worked closely with and cooperated with the Highways Agency to develop these packages.

Initial findings of the agency's strategic review of roads confirm our concerns – slow journey speeds, poor reliability and resilience on the A49 in Hereford. It concludes that traffic capacity improvements will be required to support further future growth.

We will continue to work closely with government agencies and, taking into account the environmental impact constraints, plan to deliver a western-aligned relief road as an integral part of that infrastructure programme.

Economic growth is the future of the county.

CLLR TONY JOHNSON, Leader, Herefordshire Council

After moaning that the HT won't put over a positive view of the council, they have published the above pronouncement tucked away in "Letters" from our esteemed leader. Economic growth refers to the size of their wallets.

• 1 month later...

That's all fine and dandy Glenda. However when your employers take an extremely dim view of any criticism - constructive or otherwise - people do need to be careful. There have been many, many issues raised on these pages which would never had been aired if it weren't for the fact posters can comment anonymously - or should we all keep our heads down and say nothing about what we know is happening??

Perhaps that would be best.

You are quite right, you are one of the few councillors who respond to the many queries - however, even you dodge some of the more contentious issues.....what has been happening at Barrs Court for example.

Some of us may choose to remain anonymous.....but on the whole, councillors choose -and rather carefully in my humble opinion - precisely which topics they will and will not engage with.

This was the post that posed the question.......

I suppose the point I'm trying to make, is that it is neither right nor wrong whether you choose to post anonymously.....just as I respect the fact that you post under your name, I would ask that you respect the reasons that some of us have for posting anonymously!

I have given you a green press, to show there are no hard feelings!

Stupidfrusration: I was not aware we have met, to answer your question and it is my opinion no one elses no at the moment we have not got the money to answer 2,3,4,5,6, my answer is yes to all simply because the traders have said yes to your questions.Flamboyant - from your response I have a feeling you are an employee of the administration, so I do understand why you post under this name.Dippy- like Flam I think you are also an employee, I may be wrong only you can tell me that. In regard to Barrscourt I am asking my own questions and when I get an answer you will be the first to know.Bobby - I do know who you really are, because we met to have a chat.

And this post contains the response!Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...

I have no clue Megilleland.

It wouldn't be anything to do with the proposal to ditch the cabinet system, and bring in some sort of new committee system would it?? Shouldn't that idea be up for discussion at the next full council meeting, as it got bumped off the last one??