It would be good to see a Police Officer in High Town during the day

Ubique

Have been in the area of High Town , Hereford between 1100 and 1400 for the last two days - very busy with Parent / s with children , high number of families , holidaymakers etc .cyclists and motor vehicles wiz zing through after the 1030 closure ! All that's lacking is the visible presence of a Police Officer . There will always be a very good reason why but the sight of a Police Officer in uniform gives reassurance to the law abiding members of the public.

I am sure that a couple of posters will give good and valued reason why there are no Uniform Police Officers in High Town area but I will refer back to the last line of the previous paragraph.

And on a similar vein - I was going past St Peters Church the other day and some of the regulars were on one of the benches shouting and swearing at the top of their voices.

Perhaps I should of said something?

The lack of respect for the city and people in general is part of the overall decline we have and are seeing. And grass  cutting and maintenance of the streets and buildings are part of this.

How do we take our city back?

The Inspector for the City Centre is Nick Semper He is very active on Twitter and I'd be staggered if he did not read this Forum ... Just send him a question!

I do not do Twitter - this type of communication is about my limit. However it's been suggested that Insp Sempet may read these posts so , as suggested I will ask him the question .

Insp Semper......

During the busy times of the day when there is a high number of families with children etc in the High Town area is there a Police Officer or PSCO allocated to the area ? I accept fully that there might have been but was diverted to an incident on both days .?

During my two spells in the area, Monday and Tuesday I did not see any uniformed Police Officer or PSCO . saw plenty of families , quite a number of unaccompanied young children , drunks etc as well as the usual number of cyclists riding full pelt through the Pedestrian Area coupled with a number of cars , both of which I believe are not allowed after 1030 am . The presence of a Police Officer or PSCO must help to prevent certain types of crime and anti social behaviour , I also think , maybe wrong , that the definition of a Police Officers role is amongst other duties is " the prevention and detection of crime "

My daughter and I were in High Town yesterday (Tuesday), and did not see any representation of our fine Police Force. However, whilst driving back home down Grandstand Road, we passed two Officers on push bikes wearing full kit, helmets etc. in this heat. Needless to say, they were not exactly speeding, but fair play, they were out there. As a codicil, there is very little crime or obnoxious behaviour around here. Down to bike patrols'?

To see two Police Officers together during the day in a peaceful part of the City does not , at first glance appear value for money or good use of limited resources . However one might have been showing the other Officer the ropes , ie his patch etc. or tongue in cheek one was teaching the other to ride the pedal cycle ready for the Cycling Professional Test ( only joking ! )

The Guardian 21st July 2014

Home Office presses ahead with West Midlands poll triggered by death of Bob Jones despite fears of low midsummer turnout

The Home Office has disclosed that it will cost at least £3.7m to hold a byelection next month to fill the vacancy triggered by the sudden death of Bob Jones, the first West Midlands police and crime commissioner.

The new police minister, Mike Penning, has told MPs that 1,208 polling stations across the West Midlands will need to be in operation on 21 August for the byelection to take place.

The Home Office also intends to spend £700,000 ensuring that a pamphlet is sent to every household in the region publicising the candidates after criticism from the Electoral Commission about lack of public awareness when the first police commissioners were elected in November 2012. . . 

. . . He added that the money could have put 158 police officers back on the beat.

Maybe this is why there are less policeman on the street locally.

One Commissioner or 158 bobbies on the beat. No contest at all in my humble opinion.  Going back to the original post, having been in town on the weekend, it seems the only time that officers were present was when there was a home game for Hereford United. Now, without risk of upsetting the followers of the round ball game,( instead of the proper oval shape), will the demise of the club enable Officers to be relocated to local disturbances or crime.

The Police are exactly the same as our Council. There is no difference. They're all singing from the same hymn sheet. When Nick Semper chose a different route from our Roger and decided to try and climb the pole to vast wealth and a pension you'd strangle my wife for, he had to sit before the great and the good and delivered a pile of rubbish that was sweet on the ear, easy to swallow and was dressed up in a lovely shiney corporate frock.

The Police stopped promoting 'thief takers' the day they decided to model themselves on the bloody New Labour business model that's seen Bretherton, Hughes and all the other sycophantic fools dug themselves in and beneath our flesh.

I promise you two things. Firstly, its true and secondly Nick Semper has had to play a game he and others have no control over. They simply sit there spouting bollock's and accept that this is their reality and if they don't do it someone else, equally as ambitious, will jump into the seat and say whatever they want to hear.

Every single public service is infected and it'll be sometime yet before the wheel turns and we get back to seeing 'operational heavyweights' leading our troops rather than these dull and uninspiring idiots that are churned out ready to do whatever they are asked to do, which is, in the main, to be fu.ck.ing passionate about whatever the latest gimmick is.

Ain't it truly desperate!

Roger, please back me up on this;, at one time in the dark distant past, (1980's), there were four 'foot beats' in Hereford City, all converging on High Town. Officers allocated to these 'beats', were required to be in High Town for 15 mins at a time, to ensure a continuous presence. In the '90's. a specific 'High Town Officer' was appointed to deal with any problems, and be a 'focal point' for all the shop owners, and to be a 'walking, talking signpost' for visitors.

I know things have changed, CCTV, signs on the floor, (even though half the lettering is missing, (stolen because there is no High Town Officer?)) etc. officers wearing shorts, black 't'shirts and the like instead of uniforms and ties - remember them?, but standards have, to an aged onlooker like me, appear to have dropped dramatically. Hey ho, such is progress!!

I can remember, during weather like we have now, scorching hot, being told, 'OK lads, shirt sleeve order, but you keep your ties on, and your helmets!'

Now you all know, I was in 'The Force' too!!

I do miss seeing the policeman outside Marks and Sparks........

That said, it's not just High Town where there isn't a visible presence......I can't remember the last time I saw a policeman or woman walking around Whitecross! Perhaps they aren't necessary? In which case, I say "Great!" That means I must live in a pretty safe place!

Like Two Wheels though, I do miss the presence on the CSO's. They were a regular sight at one point, and definitely gave a visual reassurance to more elderly or vulnerable members of the local community, as well as cracking down on pavement cyclists!

They had also built up good relationships with the local schools both primary and secondary, and after my initial reservations about their role, they did seem to make a positive difference!

Assuming that Nick Semper doesnt read this, perhaps you should mail him directly Ubique?

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/saferneighbourhoods/herefordshire/hereford-city-southside-and-rural

herefordsouthside.snt@westmercia.pnn.police.uk - is the group e mail.

If you ever have reason to contact the police, which I have a few times, I would assume his e mail is - nick.semper@westmercia.pnn.police.uk 

I must admit, I have met him a few times, and he certainly is not dull and spouting bolloc$s as mentioned above, in fact - I personally found him to be the most forward thinking copper I have come across in a long time.

Dear stupidfrustration, perhaps Insp. Semper is extremely forward thinking, but could you ask him what has happened to the good old favourite 'Breach of the Peace' an offence contrary to Common Law, which I believe is still in force, or the 'Town Police Clauses Act', also in force, and the Public Order Act, again, I believe still in force, all of which are there to prevent unruly and antisocial behaviour, or is it that the Police Service cannot be bothered anymore?

Different Police Force, I think. Bob Jones was PCC for the West Midlands Police. Bill Longmore is PCC for West Mercia Police. Hereford is within the West Mercia area.

Correct. But it illustrates a point that these commisioners are not value for money. As Nigel says no one has ever heard of Bill Longmore.

Below is the reply that I received from Insp Semper - I have replied to him stating that I am unavailable this week but hoping we can meet next week .- will update this post after the meeting.

Dear David,

Thank you for the email.

I would be delighted to meet you at your earliest convenience so that I can give you a comprehensive answer to your question.

Are you available today? I am working from 07:00 to 19:00hrs and will be based at the Bath Street Police Station.

Perhaps you can call in for a chat?

Kind regards,

Nick S.

Dear stupidfrustration, perhaps Insp. Semper is extremely forward thinking, but could you ask him what has happened to the good old favourite 'Breach of the Peace' an offence contrary to Common Law, which I believe is still in force, or the 'Town Police Clauses Act', also in force, and the Public Order Act, again, I believe still in force, all of which are there to prevent unruly and antisocial behaviour, or is it that the Police Service cannot be bothered anymore?

Sorry bambi - I don't have that kind of relationship - I've met him a couple of times and thought he was a good guy is all.

However I am very impressed with the speed of his response above.

Re my meeting with Insp Semper - due to both our commitments (which I will not bore you with ) the meeting will not take place until mid August . I am happy with that .

At the meeting I will ask him Bambi' question ( means nothing to me ) but it appears that the Insp. will know. Bambi , can you please message me with the point that you are making ? It will help me ask the question and the Insp to answer it - thank you.

Just a thought - if anybody else has a question relating to Policing within the City centre please message me and I will ask .

Good bloody grief! So Nick is a nice chap. Who bloody cares. They're all very nice nowadays.its the way of things today. Lots of nice people telling you how nice you are and how they'd love to become your bloody friend.

Well I've no wish to meet another nice Police Officer. Give me a right tw.at every single day of the week. Give me someone who aches to arrest people for wrongdoing. Give me a psychotic, mean spirited horror of a human being who, when I report that some primate has burgled my house,they'll move heaven and earth to detect the crime, tell me who did it to me and give me the opportunity to sit in the Court gallery and scowl at them as their 'brief' explains to the Magistrate why they chose to rob me and my bloody kin of our trinckets of wealth.

Bobby - I must now disagree with your postings - however - I don't have a problem with other people opinions as long as people understand my opinions . Then I don't have a problem to walk away and say 'you're entitled to your opinions'.

I have " Communicated " with Insp Semper and I do believe that he is a genuine guy . He appears to have the right attutide to his role in society and the cherry on the cake is that he is a Veteran .

Bobby , this is posted with the greatest respect to you - but , we beg to differ .

Best wishes and stay healthy

D

Ubique, Absolutely no problem my dear and good friend. Mind, if you stagger out of the Commercial and Nick decides to discharge his taser unleashing fifty thousand volts and makes you wish you'd never ridden the lightening bolt, don't come telling me, 'whilst he lit up every bloody blood vessel in my frail body and burnt the roof of my mouth to the bone,he was only doing his job and he was so nice doing it to me'.

I'll tell you now, if Nick ever comes up to me and unleashes that vast amount of voltage upon me I'll be writing to the local Commissioner demanding Nick has his Taser taken from him. Whatsmore, if he doesn't Taser me and instead decides to spray me with CS Gas or even thrash me with his Baton Im going to be asking him why?

Bobby , all noted - one day I will post my experience with dealing with the Bill Longmore the PCC. Doesn't make pretty reading . I never voted last time , nor will I the next time , they are a very big quango costing us a lot of money .

( I would have told you now but Mrs Ubique and I are halfway through a BBQ with a number of friends - some are playing draughts with cans of beer ( mine) - you know what that means ! )

• 2 weeks later...

You definitely won't see a policeman in High Town on the 4th/5th September. NATO are meeting at Celtic Manor, Newport and no expense spared.

Details of road closures around the Celtic Manor which will host September's Nato summit of world leaders have been announced.

The resort will be closed for the event of 4-5 September and over 12 miles (20 km) of security fencing is already being put up on-site and in Cardiff.

About 9,000 officers from 29 forces in England and Wales are being drafted in to police the summit.

US President Barack Obama will be among the world leaders attending.

Assistant Chief Constable of Merseyside Police Chris Armitt, who is leading the policing and security operation for the summit, said: "We are also working hard to ensure where security barriers will be in public places that access routes will remain open until the very last minute.

"So I am grateful to the public for their continued support and understanding and apologise in advance if any of our activity causes any disruption or inconvenience to them."

Nato summit road and footpath closures
Closures around the Celtic Manor will be in effect from 22:00 BST on 31 August until 07:00 BST on 6 September.

Catsash Road will be closed from the junction on Belmont Hill on the B4236 to the junction with Roman Road

Bulmore Road will be closed from the Bell pub in Caerleon to the junction with Abernant Road

All footpaths that cross the Celtic Manor Resort will be closed for the event, including Usk Valley Walk and pathways coming from Chepstow Road, Langstone, Bulmore Road, Catsash Road, Abernant Road and Roman Road

All the footpaths will have notices placed at the start of each closed section informing walkers about the closure

Fencing work is set to start on Thursday in Cardiff. Bute Park, North Road, Castle Street and Duke Street are all set to be finished by 21 August before fencing goes up around Roath Basin between 22-29 August.

The last time Britain hosted the Nato summit was 24 years ago in London. The event in Wales will also mark the 65th anniversary of Nato.

Also 38 schools to close for Nato summit.

38 schools to close because of the NATO summit???

Good grief! Would it not be better to have all the little darlings under lock and key, I mean studying hard, and being fully supervised in the classroom, whilst the great and the good are gathering?? Surely there would be less likelihood of a John Prescott "egg incident" with all local teenagers engaged with the national curriculum????