It would be good to see a Police Officer in High Town during the day

Ubique

I walked into town today from Aylestone Hill ... Big bunch of drinkers' sat on the usual large grave at the top end of the Burial Ground at 2.40 pm ... Getting a sun tan as it was a sun trap at that time ... Had a hair cut at West Street ... Then walked back about 3 pm ... 2 of the usuals had arrived with cans outside the Baptist Church ... And the same bunch of drinkers still on the large grave. I then saw my first cop who was in a car going outbound by Wetherspoons ... At a regular speed ... No disorder at all ... But no cops on foot at all either! Maybe they were all at the duck pond? 

I did notice tho that the old Insurance shop by the Charcoal Grill is now a Gents Hairdressers .... It proudly displayed on the window that it was £12 for a cut ... 

Ridiculous price as I walked to West Street and paid £6 ... I think it has been stuck at that price for a few years but the place is always busy ... 

Having said that I went in today and it was empty ... Hair Guys were reading newspapers' ! 

Hereford Times Friday 8th August 2014 in News:

THE front counters at all Herefordshire's market town police stations are to close.

West Mercia Police has today confirmed the desks at Bromyard, Kington, Ledbury, Leominster and Ross-on-Wye will be taken away from the beginning of next month.

The front counters at South Wye in Hereford and Peterchurch will also shut.

They will all be replaced by an intercom system connecting the public to a police 'call-taker'.

The force, which also covers Shropshire and Worcestershire, says the move is part of a "more modern and effective way " of operating its services.

Hereford's front desk will remain open every day.

“The public access our services in many ways, but we have seen the number of people calling at public counters drop in recent years," said chief superintendent Amanda Blakeman, who led a review into 'public contact and front counter provision' which prompted the decision.

"Our review will close some public counters across West Mercia but our analysis of demand has provided evidence which has allowed us to take these steps without impacting the level of service enjoyed by communities.

“This is an opportunity to deliver a more consistent, professional service, which will enable more officers to be deployed where and when they are needed the most in our communities.

"There are a range of methods for public contact and service including calling 101, the introduction of 24/7 contact points at stations to connect callers to the police, 115 Safer Neighbourhood Teams, monthly community meetings and drop-in surgeries."

Across the force, a total of 21 front counters will close from September 1.

The police say areas where front counters are to close will see Safer Neighbourhood Teams step up patrols as well as increasing community meetings and forums.

"The police must be accessible to people," said Bill Longmore, police and crime commissioner for West Mercia.

"I am keen to explore how we can continue to do this in a way that suits the different communities we have in West Mercia, whilst making the most of the resources we have.

"We are currently exploring opportunities to share resources such as front counters with partners wherever possible."

Hereford's front desk on Bath Street will remain open from 8am-8pm six days a week and 10am-4pm on Sunday and bank holidays.

Apologies to Dippy

Press 1, if you are being mugged
Press 2, if you would like to report something stolen
Press 3, if you are being raped
Press 4, and so . . . 

"We are currently exploring opportunities to share resources, such as front counters with partners where possible."

What about having a "front counter" at somewhere like Asda?? They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and would make contacting the police on a "drop in" basis, very easy for many folks! They already have the dental access and medical walk in service based nearby....why not the police as well??

Utilising places such as pubs/ libraries/supermarkets, into more multi functional community areas could be great!

PS - No apology needed Megilleland!

Years ago there would have been a duty sergeant at each police station from where the local bobbies would go out from each day. So are there any no other persons in these offices who could take front of house enquiries. If there are not then I can see these building assets going to be sold off pretty quick if the £30 million cuts are necessary.

Don't you get a feeling that all these cuts that are being made are being diverted to other causes we are not really aware of.

I want the cops on the street, not brewing tea waiting for someone to come to the desk to complain the cat is stuck up the tree. There are so many ways of contacting cops, phone, email etc that we do not need a guy waiting for something to happen.

In South Wye we have a CSO based at The Hereford Academy during term time, while several times a week they appear at ASDA. There has'nt been someone on the desk 12 hours a day a South Wye police station for years.

Hereford Hospital has a police desk, but no one seems to use it.

With very little crime compared to most other places in the country, I think it is a waste of money to have all front desk personed.

I had no idea that the police DID run a surgery at Asda!

When I suggested that in my earlier post, I wondered if the idea would be ridiculed! I had no clue it was up and running! Is this a regular thing then?

The police "cupboard" at the hospital, always appears to be locked! I think they get called down there quite regularly though.

Chris Chappell , i am sure that you will find that the person on the Front desk / counter is a member of the Support Staff , I surrendered two,Section. 1 firearms a year or so, ( found when my father died ! ) ago,and it was a Civilian who initially saw meI he had to call in a Police a Officer to confirm that they were safe .

If I am wrong and it was a police officer who initially saw me ,who them had to call in a firearms trained Police Officer I am amazed that the West Mercia Police are just entering the 21 Century . From my enquiries and research ( same thing ) a number of other Forces went down this road many years ago , using supermarkets , hospitals , library etc etc with signs saying when the contact point will have a human being there ready to receive the Members the Public who have no other means of communicating with te Police .

I am over my three score and ten - have only visited the Police Stn, once , as above , to surrender two pt 1 firearms so the course taken by the Constabulary - good decision to have the City Front Counter staffed .

I was horrified, and greatly saddened to read that an elderly lady died in hospital after being knocked over by a cyclist in the pedestrianised area of Hereford city centre.

My sympathies go out to her family, and I would hope that there is enough CCTV to be able to prosecute the person responsible.

Dangerous cyclists MUST be clamped down on.....no more warnings. A hefty on the spot fine. Frog march them to a cash point if necessary, or telephone their parents if they are young, but the message that his is unacceptable really needs to be hammered home.

Very sad to hear that the lady had died after being in a collosion with a cyclist in a " pedestrian area " during the time when vehicles are , apparently not allowed nor should cycles be ridden - I accept fully that the complete story of this sad incident has not been made public yet so one must not jump to conclusions - however .......

Will be interesting to see if the Constabulary will now deploy Police Officers and / or PCSO in High Town area during the busy day time hours. Having said that , during the morning of the 6th Aug I saw two PCSO near to the Post Office talking to 3 youngsters who were sitting on a bench . The two PSCO's were standing with their hands deep in their uniform trouser pockets - looked a complete mess, showing no authority - perhaps I am old fashion enough about me to know how to show authority and how to address the complete cross section of society . Having hands in pockets in uniform is slovenly and shows a lack of training etc.

I was horrified, and greatly saddened to read that an elderly lady died in hospital after being knocked over by a cyclist in the pedestrianised area of Hereford city centre.

My sympathies go out to her family

My condolences to all concerned. RIP

I thought this event might spawn a new topic ... I think it's worth one ... 

Ultimately I think it is down to how that central space is managed. It seems to me that it's a chaotic area of town that has permanent movement with pop up this and pop up that going on, vehicle movements as unpredictable as the weather, and a hit and miss tolerance/enforcement of cyclists ... 

Plus you could probably factor in that certain people don't understand the signs or are just oblivious to them ... After all ... Commercial Street is a street ... 

Topic on HT currently getting over 30 replies ... 

The two PSCO's were standing with their hands deep in their uniform trouser pockets - looked a complete mess, showing no authority 

That role is a fudge/mistake (by David Blunkett) and does not exude Authority or attract respect ... Just my view ... 

Notice that the Police strength has increased by 2500 Officers since it was first announced - I suppose that as the time draws nearer the Plan and deployment does require tweaking , it would be very embarrassing if protesters found a weakness in the plan .

Would not like to give an estimate as to the cost.

Below from BBC website........

Policing the Nato summit in south Wales next month will be "completely uncharted territory", said the officer running the security operation.

Assistant Chief Constable Chris Armitt said 9,500 officers from across the UK would be drafted in, including 1,500 from south Wales.

The 150 visiting heads of state and ministers will require armed protection.

Around 10,000 support staff and 2,000 journalists will be attending.

The visitors will be staying at hotels from Swansea in the west to Swindon in the east, and at locations including Bath, Bristol, Gloucester and Chepstow.

The focus of the summit on September 4 and 5 is at the Celtic Manor hotel in Newport, but events are also taking place in Cardiff.

'Discreet'

ACC Armitt has been seconded to Gwent Police from Merseyside for the operation, and has been in post for eight months.

He said the 67 heads of states and the foreign secretaries who are both subject to armed protection under international agreements meant the summit would be uncharted territory for UK policing, but added the armed policing would be "discreet".

I can only guess that the budget for this will not impact on individual forces ... There must be a centralised separate fund for it ... But obviously the abstractions are going to impact on some day to day stuff ... Obama will probably have his own vehicular transport flown in with his own armed team ... 

I can only guess that the budget for this will not impact on individual forces ... There must be a centralised separate fund for it ... But obviously the abstractions are going to impact on some day to day stuff ... Obama will probably have his own vehicular transport flown in with his own armed team ...

Wondering if the Protection Officers who are attending with their Principal will be armed ? If so wondering if they require UK Firearms Certificates - I know that it's tongue in cheek question but .......... If push come to shove it will be a very dangerous location to be in if one does not know who who a good guy and who ain't .

I accept fully that there will be a number of UK Police Officer carrying firearms - and so there should be - but foreign Police Officers in the UK - not good - in my humble opinion - some might say - what do I know - nothing !

Im pretty sure you know a fair bit Ubique!

But - it will be interesting as to what goes on around the outskirts of the Mannor.

Im sure there will be one or two meetings in "pubs" or private places where other countries all talk with each other face to face.

Now - perhaps we can all get together and get those pesky Russians in a room and have a chat.

Once again a thread has wandered off topic. This was about policing the City Centre. Where are we up to with that?

The situation with that is on the internet ...link Two PC's listed ... As a dedicated SNT for the City Centre lumped in with an area that is quite vast ... 

Not the whole 'response' story obviously but makes you think!