Parking on Aylestone Hill (and nearby streets)

Roger

I saw today that yellow signs have gone up at Penn Grove Road indicating that traffic regulation is proposed between Moreland Ave and Admirals Close. That's where the commuters/students/hospital people park for free just beyond where the existing yellow lines stop. The details of the restrictions are not yet on the relevant Council page (link here) but they are sure to appear soon and will probably stop people parking on that section of road full stop. I'll be quite pleased if this happens as the current free for all makes driving along there inconvenient and sometimes dangerous.

This follows on from existing proposals to stop all that dodgy parking on Aylestone Hill (lines are yet to be painted) and a Public Meeting which was held at Brockington Towers on 30th January:

Hereford Times Report

When the lines do appear the cars that do end up getting shifted are sure to clog up somewhere else because the drivers' are obviously looking for free parking. Even using the new Council car park at Station Approach for £3 a day adds up to £60 a month (20 working days) which is certainly not cheap.

Certain people think the Council are bringing on these parking issues themselves. Such as causing the fiasco outside the Leisure Centre where all the car park has emptied out onto the adjacent A49 ... 

I fear you're right about just displacing parking problems.

A lot of this is the result of a lack of joined up thinking.  When bus services are scarce and expensive - people drive (if they can).  When the trains are packed and expensive - people drive (if they can).  When people are encouraged to shop in the centre, traffic increases.  When there is congestion in the centre then you can't rely on buses getting through so people drive and find another route.  When you charge a lot for schoolkids and students to use school buses - people drive.  So lots of people for whom public transport is not a reliable and economic option drive into Hereford.  As you point out, people going to the colleges, Hospital, station etc are bound to try to find a cheap way of parking.  When the council and pfi hospital see car parking as a cash cow monopoly, people will react by parking on streets.    This must be extremely frustrating for people who live on those streets but it is inevitable.   Do we want the motorists whose parking causes the problem to not come to Hereford or to park on a different street.  As you say,  paid car parks are expensive for those on zero or limited budget.

The imaginative way of dealing with the issue isn't to keep chasing the problem from street to street but to make public transport a realistic option co-ordinated with the needs of the businesses and institutions.  Joined up thinking - now there's a left field idea - perhaps one day the powers that be may be tempted to try it.

The imaginative way of dealing with the issue isn't to keep chasing the problem from street to street but to make public transport a realistic option co-ordinated with the needs of the businesses and institutions. 

I was behind a DRM bus tonight which was heading up Aylestone Hill. The advert on the back said you can travel all week for £18 between Bromyard and Hereford. Times are quite work/school friendly and the buses always look modern/clean/tidy. Not bad if you live in Bromyard and work/study in Hereford. But there are some really rubbish routes/times/frequencies/buses out there as you allude to ... 

DRM pdf

• 4 months later...

Parking complaints prompt double yellows on Aylestone Hill

2966367.jpg?htype=0&display=1&type=mc2

COMPLAINTS about dangerous parking on Aylestone Hill in Hereford have prompted the council to introduce double yellow lines and mandatory cycle lanes.

Herefordshire Council said it has received complaints and comments over the years highlighting the problems of parking on the busy road.

Safety and congestion issues have been raised prompting the council to take action.

Parking on the eastern side to the north of the mini traffic islands and at the junction around Broadlands Lane has caused visibility difficulties for those coming onto the road.

And vehicles parking on the south eastern side of Aylestone Hill just to the north of the junction with Southbank Road forced city bound vehicles to enter the hatched area.

Spokesman for Herefordshire Council, Michelle Morgan, said: "These are the principal reasons behind the initial consideration of introducing the double yellow lines. However, we also have to consider the migration of vehicles parking in these positions to other unsuitable positions.

"Therefore, after consultation and public advertising of the proposal, the decision was taken to introduce double yellow lines and mandatory cycle lanes that effectively prevent parking on both sides of Aylestone Hill between Aylestone Park and Southbank Road."

Hereford Times

This had to be done.

I wonder how long it will be before the folks who live in Moreland Avenue/Penn Grove Road area notice an increase in vehicle parking in these streets?

I was amused to read in The Hereford Times, that the council are advising that whilst car parking charges would stay the same, and remain in force during the Wednesday late night shopping evenings in the six week run up to Christmas, they very kindly inform us that we may use the council car parks up Plough Lane free of charge, after 4.00pm.

I guess the staff must have an early finish on a Wednesday then..........

I wonder how long it will be before the folks who live in Moreland Avenue/Penn Grove Road area notice an increase in vehicle parking in these streets?

Shouldn't be an issue as all of Moreland Ave is restricted to deter students/Commuters. As is the town end of Penn Grove Road. 

The only problem on Penn Grove Road is on the bend where the lines stop. And the Council have warned that yellow lines are going down on that to stop the parking there as well ...

rgwjdc.jpg

As GDJ said , these restriction , however much they are needed just move the problem elsewhere . I believe that the Council should be thinking park and ride from the edges of the City , I suppose that they won't because they would loose money on the long stay parking in the City .

A good example of moving the problem on is because of the Pay and Display parking at the Leisure Centre , Homer Rd. A good number of people using the Leisure Centre ( not me ) now park on Homer Rd. The Council have now had to put down double yellow lines the City side of the entrance for a distance of over 50m . I can fully understand why - visibility for vehicle exiting the Leisure Centre was restricted . Wether the lines are legal is another discussion point but it has desired effect . Also some users of the Leisure Centre now park on the Business Park by Halfords etc.

As GDJ said , these restriction , however much they are needed just move the problem elsewhere . I believe that the Council should be thinking park and ride from the edges of the City , I suppose that they won't because they would loose money on the long stay parking in the City .

A good example of moving the problem on is because of the Pay and Display parking at the Leisure Centre , Homer Rd. A good number of people using the Leisure Centre ( not me ) now park on Homer Rd. The Council have now had to put down double yellow lines the City side of the entrance for a distance of over 50m . I can fully understand why - visibility for vehicle exiting the Leisure Centre was restricted . Wether the lines are legal is another discussion point but it has desired effect . Also some users of the Leisure Centre now park on the Business Park by Halfords etc.

The lines are legal ...

Holmer Road Traffic Order

It will probably just move people to the next nearest free spot. Somewhere like Perseverance Road ... It's just like a balloon. You squeeze it and it'll bulge somewhere else ... Of course if they weren't greedily charging at the Leisure Centre there wouldn't be a problem ...

The Council use of the word 'mandatory' (cycle lane) is confusing - it doesn't mean cyclists HAVE to use them. It does mean that traffic attendants can enforce a mandatory cycle lane ie ticket any vehicle blocking it (other than allowed exceptions). Whether there was a need for a cycle lane there is debatable - particularly as it abruptly stops just before the roundabout with Venns Lane. I fear it was a handy way to achieve another half a mile of 'cycle path' at no cost and draw down some  Government money rather than add real value - double yellows would have achieved much the same thing. A side point - why don't the council follow their own policy of 'conservation' yellow lines in conservation areas? I've raised this before with councillors to little avail.

Whether there was a need for a cycle lane there is debatable - particularly as it abruptly stops just before the roundabout with Venns Lane. 

I'm always walking up and down Aylestone Hill and it's rare to see cyclists using that cycle lane. It's a bit pointless as you suggest. I did see a car parked across it for 8 hours tho the other day. No ticket issued.

I have got issues with the bit by the entrance to Churchill Gardens. It diverts cyclists off the road to bypass the lights. Straight into the path of anyone using the crossing or leaving Churchill Gardens. It's always struck me as being potentially dangerous. 

10sgqva.jpg

This path was a disgraceful squandering of our money - cycle groups were not consulted, it is dangerous and simply does not work. It was thrown down simply as a box ticking exercise. I rode it once when it was new just for a laugh.

Pedestrian refuges like the one pictured (and on the other side of Aylestone HIll) always cause a problem for cyclists because vehicles won't slow and attempt to squeeze past, pushing you into the verge/railings/pavement. I always take the dominant position ie the middle of the lane to stop that happening. Preferable to being squashed by an impatient 4 x 4 mum on the school run.

Hi Biomech,

Parking up at the colleges for students is extremely limited. As you can imagine, the catchment area for students attending is pretty wide, and the area very rural, so many drive. I absolutely love what that have done with the college revamp, and am surprised that at the same time all of these works were taking place they didn't use the opportunity to try to improve the parking situation.

I believe yellow lines have been added in quite a few of the streets in the neighbouring residential areas, but as has already been pointed out, this just shifts the problem.

It would be great to perhaps have a college car park, designated for students with permits, a little further out, and perhaps encourage them to walk the rest of the way in.

When I was at college the parking was free all around college - has this changed now?

Hereford Campus Parking Might be slightly out of date because clamping is illegal ... 

The residents of Whittern Way are always moaning about clogged streets. I don't think there are restrictions there but I haven't been that way for a while ... 

Aylestone Hill itself is now restricted ~ as are all of the nearby streets north side of it ... so I suppose the student parking problem will just move to the nearest free area ... which is probably the Whittern Way area ... 

Parking up at the colleges for students is extremely limited. As you can imagine, the catchment area for students attending is pretty wide, and the area very rural, so many drive

Been a long time since I was at college - but we never had any issues then - and we car pooled, you know, being broke students and that :P

Must be all the foreigners ;) ;)

• 4 months later...

Double yellow lines have appeared today ~ running along Penn Grove Road from Moreland Avenue to the junction with College Road. Also in Admirals Close. Limited waiting has been created between Admirals Close and Moreland Ave on the outside of the bend which is the other side to where the commuters used to park. So basically the issues there may have been eased. But a good few cars will now have to find a new spot to park for free. 

Roger, And when you reach that junction of College Road and Penn Grove, glance a little to your left and toward the City and look in awe and wonder at the once beautiful avenue of trees.

They ain't so beautiful now. Just as the branches were bearing new buds and provide us all with a fine example of natures beauty and a habitat for all our wildlife, the Council have directed a team of tree surgeons to hack them all into dreadful pieces.

Any of you who travel this way, take a look and ask yourselves, 'was this a good thing to do to some wonderful trees'?

I was behind a DRM bus tonight which was heading up Aylestone Hill. The advert on the back said you can travel all week for £18 between Bromyard and Hereford. Times are quite work/school friendly and the buses always look modern/clean/tidy. Not bad if you live in Bromyard and work/study in Hereford. But there are some really rubbish routes/times/frequencies/buses out there as you allude to ... 

DRM pdf

Its the same price as Ross on wye  to Hereford £18 week

Roger, And when you reach that junction of College Road and Penn Grove, glance a little to your left and toward the City and look in awe and wonder at the once beautiful avenue of trees.

They ain't so beautiful now. Just as the branches were bearing new buds and provide us all with a fine example of natures beauty and a habitat for all our wildlife, the Council have directed a team of tree surgeons to hack them all into dreadful pieces.

Any of you who travel this way, take a look and ask yourselves, 'was this a good thing to do to some wonderful trees'?

Same trees as St Nichols church Bobby.

They have to be cut right back though its a long time since they were cut back last.

Can't fail to notice that can you?! I'm not a tree expert so maybe someone can say if the extensive pruning was well timed. I think 'deciduous' trees are best pruned when asleep so if they were budding then that sounds like bad timing. Parking is an issue on College Road tho. Did the tree surgeons have access issues?