New Traffic Lights Running - A49N Now GRIDLOCKED

Biomech

Can someone please, for the love of f***, explain to me how the people running this city STILL maintain that they are doing the right thing?

Please, I cannot comprehend the ignorance.

We've had several weeks without lights Northbound on the A49 and traffic flowed perfectly.

Today the city is in gridlock because the lights have been put back on. Queuing starting at the Broadleys on Ross Road (I didn't dare venture up Belmont Road), all the way down to Currys. Locked, cars sitting with their ignitions off.

You do not need a masters degree in traffic architecture to see that the lights are making things WORSE.

Are you people that ******* blind and that ******* ignorant that you think this is acceptable?

For f*** Sake.

I have already contacted the highway agency along with geoff hughes and richard ball herefordshire council officers involved in roads fellow councillors,the leader and cabinet member for transport I have made it clear in no uncertain terms the traffic is unexceptable and far worse than I have ever known the roundabout.

The traffic on the roundabout needs to be sorted ASAP and and I have asked for an explanation from the traffic engineers as to why they have got this so WRONG. I will keep you guys informed and post there responses as they come in.

Email sent this afternoon i had to rewrite it a few times as i was so angry and had to stay courteous I can't wait for the reply.

Andrew

The new traffic lights are now up and running i have just been through them the roundabout is an absolute nightmare worse than ever this needs to be sorted ASAP it is Monday afternoon I would like to know why it is so bad I am no traffic engineer perhaps you could enlighten me.

Regards

CLLR Jim Kenyon

Thank you for the pro-action Jim.

I understand that they - perhaps - need to be turned on in a live scenario. But what baffles me beyond comprehension is why? Why, when we've seen traffic improve without the lights, why are they pushing them back on us? What is it that's going through their heads? I mean that in an honest, intrigued manner, what is the thought process? 9/10 if they clearly communicated what is happening they wouldn't receive half the backlash that they get.

The traffic over the past few weeks northbound through the city has been perfect and today again a complete nightmare! WHY WHY WHY will they not give Colin James's suggestion of turning off the traffic lights at both the Asda junction and Edgar Street junction for a 3 month trial period at the very least!??? I know why, because it will work that's why!

Well maybe they will start listening to me now...but I will not hold my breath

Here are a few pictures I took today, the first picture (top left) was the traffic heading into town this morning at 10.45am (so not even rush hour). 

TL.png

The other pictures are of the traffic on my way home this afternoon showing how bad the queues are not that the Edgar Street traffic lights are back on, no surprise here though!

Which all look a little different to when I took this video last week when the traffic lights were off eh..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNmgyPw5OOc

I haven't driven around this roundabout since the lights were switched back on so cannot comment first hand but I have a question. Is the light phasing just set different to the old set of lights? Or is it the same? Or is it a new system on those lights? 

It's desperate isn't it. We really are in a permanent state of confusion. Without knowing or realising it, we've become the slaves to an ideology and dogma that requires total obedience. The Council, their illegitimate bas.tard child, the Safer Roads Partnership and the Highways Agency are all one of the same. Sprung from the loins of the public service gravey train, they've got a stranglehold upon everything that we encounter during our daily lives that require us to work, rest, work some bloody more and pay for the bloody priveldge of their guidance as they continue to chant their mantra, 'we know best' and we will not do what you want us to do.

As for switching these bloody lights off, it's all been a waste of time. Rather like my bloody posts. Pointless excercises in tapping out bloody vowels and consonants that only ever make me feel better and cry, 'have that you bar.stards. I feel a whole lot better now'.

I mean, imagine if you can that they ever actually sit down around that bloody Plough Lane table and discuss this issue. We'll bloody regret it. First, it'll be, lets pay some brain dead, I've had a full frontal lobotomy Consultant thousands of pounds. Then it'll be, lets measure the volume of traffic that'll be administered over by some friend of a friend who knows a Director of the Council, who, after standing on junctions for the best part of a month, will produce a graph that'll show vehicular traffic is a problem. Then they'll wheel out some Road Traffic Accident victim who, whilst wassailing across Market Street, juggling two mating ferrets and eating a kebab was flattened by a bus when the lights were switched off. This poor fool, will feature upon the pages of the Council website muttering, 'please keep the lights. If they'd been on when I began wassailing across the bloody road, I wouldn't have been bloody flattened by the number nine bloody bus'.

Nothing of commonsense ever gets into their bloody heads and nothing comes bloody out. It's all a waste of time and they can all get stuffed if anything I say is worth a jot of notice. They'll never turn these lights off!

I asked if they will consider turning off both the lights at the Asda junction and Edgar Street for a 3 month trial period years ago and I will continue with my campaign until they at least try it, but I would be happy if the trailed it for a month or even 2 weeks! Come on just try it, what do they have to loose? 

​The Council and Highway's Agency are too embarrassed that's the problem, they have wasted thousands of pounds on a scheme that clearly is a mess and does NOT work! 

​Thanks for your support on this Jim, excellent email.

As I joined the others who were trying to avoid the queue onto the New Bridge, I was thinking, imagine if that bridge has something wrong with it, imagine if that bridge was closed for some reason, where would everyone go? The old bridge certainly couldn't cope with the amount of traffic and the weight of the industrial lorries that need to get through Hereford.

Councillors? Do you have a plan to turn to should the New Bridge be closed for some reason?

This adds to the point I've been making that herefordshire council does not need to build a new link road from the railway station to the Pizza Hut for the housing development,developers could do that "I've never been to a house without a road in front of it" we could save that money and spend it on a weight restricted bridge for local traffic only and have it going from the road to no-where on the Rotherwas roundabout across to the Hampton park road in Tupsley I believe that would take at least 20% of the traffic currently using the new bridge away from it and ease traffic congestion far better than that planned road after all it does not matter how many roads you build you still only really have one decent road bridge "Worcester has three" very close together is that to much to ask for thoughts please!!

Jimmy, at the conclusion of your piece you ask for 'thoughts'. My good colleague I've no idea, sadly neither have you and worse, those at the helm have less idea than both you and I. It's truly desperate for us in Herefordshire.

As for your suggestion Jimmy, yes, it makes sense, but when did sense, commonsense rational thinking and forward thinking imaginative ideas ever play a part in the thinking of this unholy Cabinet.

Some might say, 'goodness, he sounds despondent this evening'. Well I bloody am! I've just read the latest post from Megilleland regarding £850 thousand pounds redacted bloody payments and its buggared up my nights bloody sleep.

I mean this £850 thousand could be for anything. Anything at all and this bloody Council ain't for telling us. Bloody Hell!

As I joined the others who were trying to avoid the queue onto the New Bridge, I was thinking, imagine if that bridge has something wrong with it, imagine if that bridge was closed for some reason, where would everyone go? The old bridge certainly couldn't cope with the amount of traffic and the weight of the industrial lorries that need to get through Hereford.

Councillors? Do you have a plan to turn to should the New Bridge be closed for some reason?

Going back when the IRA were more active in the UK and the SAS camp was on the Ross Road, if I remember correctly, there was a bomb scare and apparently the bomb was on the Greyfriars Bridge (New Bridge). I remember Hereford being more or less closed as EVERYTHING came to a stand still.

We definitely need a second river crossing, I like Jim's suggestion or have another bridge further out towards Breinton.

A bypass would be nice too..

This is the email i just recieved this afternoon what do you guys think?

Good Afternoon Cllr Kenyon,

Thank you for your email below.

We are aware that there are problems with the new traffic signals on the A49 at Edgar Street, Hereford. Unfortunately the BT line connected to these signals, which links it to other traffic signals in Hereford, is not working due to a fault. This means the lights are operating on an automated fixed system and are not optimised to operate according the specific traffic flows at any given time.

However our contractors are working with BT to repair the line and we are monitoring the situation on a regular basis. Once the line is fixed and the signals have had a short time to optimise the timings to best suit the local traffic conditions, the arrangement will operate alongside an additional lane to increase capacity and help reduce queues on the A49 southbound approach to the junction.

We are confident road users can look forward to some real benefits from the scheme but we apologise for any delays or inconvenience this may cause in the interim. We are working hard to try and resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Harvey

Service Delivery Manager

Highways Agency | The Cube | 199 Wharfside Street | Birmingham | B1 1RN

Oh. My. God!

A couple of things spring to mind!

1.They are "monitoring" the situation! That always rings alarm bells!

2."We are confident road users can look forward to some real benefits...."  Like what, celebrating getting another year older whilst sat there????!!

It is beyond! A timescale please! When - precisely- will this be sorted!!???

And well done Jim for all you are doing about this, and the updates!!

It's been suggested by Colin and others that they should consider switching the traffic lights off , appears to be a very good time now to try it. They are suggesting that it's an unknown fault at a unknown location so it could be some time before we can take advantage of the. "Real benefits "

It's been suggested by Colin and others that they should consider switching the traffic lights off , appears to be a very good time now to try it. They are suggesting that it's an unknown fault at a unknown location so it could be some time before we can take advantage of the. "Real benefits "

Now is the perfect time especially with all the road works and building going on, why wait until everything is built and open? Like its going to happen then...

I have a meeting at the town hall with Jesse Norman and a few other campaigners next week, so fingers crossed.

No real idea Biomech - I do recall that when Belmont / Asda roundabout used to flood, there was some sort of plan to open up the Lines/ Great Western Way so that emergency vehicles could get frome North to South and vice versa, but I have no idea what would be put in place for the great unwashed.

A very long diversion seems the probable option......

I fired this email off this afternoon regarding the lights

Hi andrew

I have just "driven" the roundabout at 1400hrs today where coming from the direct of whitecross and Belmont /Ross road have improved there is still some congestion along Newmarket street which stretches right back to st Owens street and A49 along Edgar street theses lights seem to change very quickly perhaps a little bit of tweaking can be done because I do think there will still be issues during the rush hour period finally the new direction sign near the trees is fine but perhaps a signs showing the three lanes and where they are going to take you may be helpful as there is still a lot of confusion and people are not using the third lane as they should.

Regards

CLLR Jim Kenyon

You'll love this, although be unsurprised...

I was in a petrol station earlier about to pay, the guy in front of me asked the cashier "So what's happened on the A49? Has there been a crash or something?". At this point I had to interject with, "sorry, you're not from around here are you?", he said no, at which point I dutifully informed him that what he experienced was pretty normal and that if he was heading through town it would probably get worse.

He later replied that he "certainly won't be coming through here again".

On a related topic, I went to Worcester today, snuck out the back through Home lacy, Dormington, Whitestone... much quicker than going through town.

Anyway, 40 minutes to get from Worcester to Hereford, 18 minutes to get from Franklin House to the Tesco Roundabout.

A grand distance of 0.3 miles (http://goo.gl/maps/pbL7R)