Hereford Bypass funding bid turned down

megilleland

Just seen the headlines in The Hereford Times today "City bypass blow". 

The bid related to preparing detailed plans for the section of the proposed western Hereford Bypass which joins the A49 to the north of the city and with the southern link road. However it has been confirmed that the funding for an outline business case, which would have included an option assessment report and route option report, has not been released by the government.

Responding to the Hereford Transport Alliance, the Department for Transport said: "As you  may be aware the Department decided not to approve funding for the the development of the Hereford Transport Package bid.  This particular funding round was particularly over subscribed with over 50 bids from local authorities in England from which only 12 were selected".

I won't be throwing away the bike just yet.

Will make little difference to the plan for a by pass.The new housing Estate in Three Elms cannot go ahead without it

I heard that the bypass makes no difference to the development at the Three Elms site. I heard that the Three Elms site has many more problems around the issue of risking flooding the City Centre and also contaminating the water supplies for Cargill & Heineken. A bypass wont improve how people get in and out of the City centre for jobs, education, shopping, hospital, doctors, cinema etc.  Perhaps if all the money for new roads was used to open up a few railway stations and improve alternatives to using the car there would be a bigger impact on tackling the congestion than a bypass. I read on the Here for Hereford website that the Bypass was just to be used to attract traffic from the motorway network to travel along the A49 and nothing to do with improving the City Centre congestion http://www.hereforhereford.co.uk/2017/01/watch-out-the-a49-proposed-as-an-alternative-for-m5-traffic/ . This seems to agree with what someone in the Cabinet has been saying.

A week or so ago this appeared on a FB site then was quickly removed so I did not have a chance to post it on here.  It will be interesting to hear what Cllr Price has to say on this - he was fairly confident about receiving funding.  Just don't know who to believe any longer.

A bit surprised by Bob Mathews letter in HT supporting A49 Hereford to Ross conversion to a dual carriageway.

But there again he lives in Credenhill

I heard that the bypass makes no difference to the development at the Three Elms site. I heard that the Three Elms site has many more problems around the issue of risking flooding the City Centre and also contaminating the water supplies for Cargill & Heineken. A bypass wont improve how people get in and out of the City centre for jobs, education, shopping, hospital, doctors, cinema etc.  Perhaps if all the money for new roads was used to open up a few railway stations and improve alternatives to using the car there would be a bigger impact on tackling the congestion than a bypass. I read on the Here for Hereford website that the Bypass was just to be used to attract traffic from the motorway network to travel along the A49 and nothing to do with improving the City Centre congestion http://www.hereforhereford.co.uk/2017/01/watch-out-the-a49-proposed-as-an-alternative-for-m5-traffic/ . This seems to agree with what someone in the Cabinet has been saying.

I could bang on all day as to how we could vastly improve traffic flow & the Cities road infrastructure.Like everything else no one takes a blind

bit of notice.Agree with you that the by pass won't help,seems pretty obvious to me it won't but Hereford will and has always grown,more people are born than die,more people need homes,jobs.Most will buy a car and join the rest of us in the traffic q's.If they are to build these houses and I think they will all 1,200 of em then we will need this by-pass to help alleviate the congestion.Doing nothing is not an option,nor is building a bloody railway to Rotherwas.

Many people still fondly imagine a "bypass" as a nice fast road through open countryside, like where the A49 goes round Ludlow. But for Hereford it's unlikely to be like that.

There is a corridor for a "bypass" marked on the plans for the vast Three Elms housing application, so this "bypass" would be a road through housing estates, presumably with lots of traffic light junctions, like around Worcester. Housebuilding  is necessary to help pay for any road.

As Maggie May and Ragwert have pointed out, all the people in the new homes will be adding to those trying to get into the centre of Hereford to shops, schools, hospital etc. Any benefit from the perceived greater capacity of a new piece of road will be immediately cancelled out (and more) by all the extra traffic from all the new homes.

Doing nothing is not an option it's actually the worst that could happen.

We do love our bubble here in Herefordshire but there is a far bigger picture and this road will come whether it be East or West it will come. Personally I would think ahead and go orbital with two lanes and be done with it.

As stated before the national transport infrastructure is in a state of collapse but the truth is that for many of us that rarely travel out of the County we don't want to know about this and are only bothered if it affects our quality of life. Sadly that's the people that we've become yet most of us have children, grandchildren that are affected by our thought processes. We can convince ourselves that we are thinking of their interests but in reality it's a selfish mindset. Survival can only be guaranteed if we tread a path of peaceful co-existence with each other and our environment.Failure to adapt in changing times means extinction and this rule of thumb can be applied to pretty much everything.

I agree that doing nothing is not an option

Unless the City develops, as it has in the past, then it will stagnate and become overpopulated with older people (it is already heading that way). The social cost of supporting them will have to be met by a reducing number of those of working age.

To me we do need more housing and jobs - which comes first is moot. And whilst altering peoples current fixation with the car is great I believe there needs to be a way of getting in and out of Rotherwas, going from the south of the city to the north and going east to west without going through the centre. This will need to be a road - yes with cycle and pedestrian links to and through the essential new housing.

Yes we need to respect the environment in all of this but sometimes some small loss of fields to new development is the price that should be paid not just for progress but to also maintain the standards that we have now.

I agree that doing nothing is not an option

Unless the City develops, as it has in the past, then it will stagnate and become overpopulated with older people (it is already heading that way). The social cost of supporting them will have to be met by a reducing number of those of working age.

To me we do need more housing and jobs - which comes first is moot. And whilst altering peoples current fixation with the car is great I believe there needs to be a way of getting in and out of Rotherwas, going from the south of the city to the north and going east to west without going through the centre. This will need to be a road - yes with cycle and pedestrian links to and through the essential new housing.

Yes we need to respect the environment in all of this but sometimes some small loss of fields to new development is the price that should be paid not just for progress but to also maintain the standards that we have now.

I agree

End of the day it's Hereford , unfortunately when it comes to bypasses we have ended up with the shittiest part of the 5h1t end of the stick and I as a 53 year old will never expect to see it in my lifetime and as I do not have off spring it doesn't really matter when I am gone . Anyone wishing or hoping or believing it will be any different anytime soon .................................. Good luck with that 

For those that don't already know this has been going on since mid 80s , but probably before that ffs