New Joint Police & Fire Station For Hereford

Frank Smith

Gosh this location makes much more sense and a modern building in that location much more fitting with the surrounding area than Bath St. The police will also have easy and quick access, even by bike, onto the Great Western Way as well as good road access to the rest of the County. However, the picture is rather misleading as the junction onto Edgar Street is supposed to have traffic lights on each road. I thought that sheltered accommodation for older people was supposed to go at the Meadow End of the football club https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/development-control/planning-applications/details?id=130888&search=Merton%20Meadow.?

Gosh this location makes much more sense and a modern building in that location much more fitting with the surrounding area than Bath St. The police will also have easy and quick access, even by bike, onto the Great Western Way as well as good road access to the rest of the County. However, the picture is rather misleading as the junction onto Edgar Street is supposed to have traffic lights on each road. I thought that sheltered accommodation for older people was supposed to go at the Meadow End of the football club https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/planning-and-building-control/development-control/planning-applications/details?id=130888&search=Merton%20Meadow.?

Looking like that plan for sheltered accommodation is not to be

And if anyone in planning is looking at this post please have some common sense and DO NOT install traffic lights here,all

it needs is a roundabout.

I like it but we are starting to see a lot of empty commercial space and the current two buildings these services are using will join the list with Bath Street offices and let's not forget the First depot....maybe West Midlands Ambulance Service might fancy that?

IMG_4196.jpg

I took that on Saturday. The car park is hell on earth on a working day! At the Bath Street Offices ..... 

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Found some interesting info on the joint fire & police station.
Proposed site on Merton Meadow was abandoned due to flooding fears.
Site aquired by the police at the back of B&Q will be for both police and fire with a feasibility study for ambulance station being looked at.
Reading between the lines the old police station in Bath St could become Uni accommodation.

Sensible move on the flooding - the much vaunted £4m Yazor Brook flood alleviation scheme doesn't seem to be cutting it, as we have seen over the last couple of weeks. Bear in mind this was designed to withstand a 1:1000 year flood, yet it is under water barely 10 years later. I was told a year ago by Planning that, as far as they were concerned, the whole of the ESG 'Urban Village' was still a flood zone and they would not "encourage submission of an application until this has been addressed through a holistic approach across the Edgar Street Grid".

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4060.jpg

5 hours ago, ragwert said:

.If you go to the back of B&Q car park the field in front of you is the land they have bought.Think it was Wiggins sports field

I used to play football for painters & that was our home pitch it had a slight slop on it from one goal to the other...if we won the toss we always choose to kick up the slop in the first half.

• Smile 1

On 01/03/2020 at 22:47, ragwert said:

Found some interesting info on the joint fire & police station.
Proposed site on Merton Meadow was abandoned due to flooding fears.
Site aquired by the police at the back of B&Q will be for both police and fire with a feasibility study for ambulance station being looked at.
Reading between the lines the old police station in Bath St could become Uni accommodation.

When we campaigned to save the old boy’s school in Bath street one of the reasons stipulated by HWFRS was that they need to be within 2 minutes of the city centre...so if indeed they do relocate behind B&Q surely it will take longer than 2 minutes to reach the city centre from that point?

Not that I have any objection to them relocating behind B&Q it’s more the fact that they lied to try to justify their reasons for moving to the old boy’s school location at the time thankfully they saw sense & pull the PA in the end.

20 hours ago, Cambo said:

When we campaigned to save the old boy’s school in Bath street one of the reasons stipulated by HWFRS was that they need to be within 2 minutes of the city centre...so if indeed they do relocate behind B&Q surely it will take longer than 2 minutes to reach the city centre from that point?

Not that I have any objection to them relocating behind B&Q it’s more the fact that they lied to try to justify their reasons for moving to the old boy’s school location at the time thankfully they saw sense & pull the PA in the end.

Indeed, and the representatives I spoke to at the exhibition of the Bath St proposals were absolutely adamant that the police and the fire brigade could not and would not share a building - they had tried it at Bromsgrove, it hadn't worked and that was that. Until the next time it seems.