Work Begins On New Skate Park

Colin James

The work on the new skate park in the fields at the top of Newton Farm has begun. Contractors had already fenced off the old park and have starting dismantling it today. This skate park was built in the 90's and is well used and in much need of replacing. 

The project is being funded by Hereford Housing as it is their land.

Skate Park 1.jpg

I have just received this from Hereford Housing.

Work began today on the refurbishment of our skate park in Newton Farm! 
Wheelscape - who designed and built the highly popular skate park on Holmer Road - will be taking away the old metal ramps and installing a free flow concrete design. 

The refurbishment of this park will help raise Hereford in to one of the top five skate destinations in the country. Value For Money savings made by colleagues throughout Herefordshire Housing Group have made this exciting project possible.

Skate Park.jpg

Skate Park2a.jpg

Herefordshire Housing Newton Farm Skate Park FB Page

Having just spoken to the officer in chargeof the skate park at Herefordshire Housing he told me the funding came from Value For Money (VFM) it will be similar to Holmer road park but on much smaller scale (size same as it is now). There will be no extra lighting at the moment, I also asked for play equipment for 3-11 year olds, but he explained they need to go after funding again. I have told him if there is anyway I can help please contact me. He said he will keep me informed now. The skate park will be officially opened this December.

Having just spoken to the officer in chargeof the skate park at Herefordshire Housing he told me the funding came from Value For Money (VFM) it will be similar to Holmer road park but on much smaller scale (size same as it is now). There will be no extra lighting at the moment, I also asked for play equipment for 3-11 year olds, but he explained they need to go after funding again. I have told him if there is anyway I can help please contact me. He said he will keep me informed now. The skate park will be officially opened this December.

I spoke with Peter earlier and he explained that they did not need to go to planning provided they only use the same foot print as the previous skate park, hence why no additions or lighting at this stage, however, he is keen to set up a local group and will also assist with trying to source additional funding from any schemes/grants that are available, which is really good to hear.  :Thumbs-Up:

Most of the teenagers that use it are not from Newton Farm, we found this out when there was trouble up there with teenagers drinking, three of which came from Hinton area. When the police interviewed the girls they found the drink was vodka in a cider bottle which she brought the drink from her home. Residents called me to the site as I was then the councillor. The original teenagers back in 1997 who are now grown up looked after the site because they went after the funding for it.

Most of the teenagers that use it are not from Newton Farm, we found this out when there was trouble up there with teenagers drinking, three of which came from Hinton area. When the police interviewed the girls they found the drink was vodka in a cider bottle which she brought the drink from her home. Residents called me to the site as I was then the councillor.

Hinton is down the road. The locals need to get a grip of their area. 

Roger I was pointing out that not all teenagers from Newton Farm are vandals

Agreed. But the locals have got to get a grip of a situation where stuff is just getting trashed and dumper trucks are getting interfered with. Hinton and Newton Farm are adjacent pretty much. The people who live there have to sort it out. If they want to live with out of control kids' then carry on .... 

The new skate park is being built by the same company who built the skate park in Holmer Road.

After an extremely close tender process we would like to announce that Wheelscape (http://www.wheelscape.co.uk) have won the contract. For those not in the know Wheelscape are the design and build company that created the fantastic skate park on Holmer Road in Hereford.

Hi Pete Redding.

Interesting news...

Have you made any contact with Hereford Dirt Riders?  They have a group on Facebook and were responsible for the (greatly) improved track at Westfailing Street.

My serious BMX track racing days are behind me I think, but, I do still like to have a bit of a burn around every now and then...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...