Recycling Aluminium Foil?

philbates

Can any one out there tell me where aluminium foil, aluminium trays etc, can be recycled? I e-mailed the council a few months ago with this question and received a standard long winded reply which in a long winded way said, we don't do it and no real reply to the question why not, it seems criminal that in this day and age we are throwing valuable metals into landfill. I could take it down to Portsmouth, my home town where it can be recycled through a church charity but it is not often that I get down there.

Residents can now recycle aluminium foil at special bins in supermarkets and waste sites in the county, helping to fulfil a promise to a local organisation working with people with learning difficulties.

The joint initiative between Herefordshire Council, the county’s ‘green’ organisation EnviroAbility and aluminium recycling company Alupro, will tackle the problem of dealing with the material which can’t be recycled through the existing household waste system.

The first of the new distinctive yellow and black bins has been sited at Sainsbury’s in Hereford and nine more bins will be located at other supermarkets and household waste sites in the county.

You can read the full article here Phil.  :Happy_32:

My aluminium goes in the green recycle bin at home. If they can't recycle that then they are using the wrong systems. 

They can't Roger. See the Envirosort Website 

Metals:

Q. Can I put large metal sweet and biscuit tins in my recycling?

A. Yes you can put large metal sweet and biscuit tins in your recycling. Please ensure the tin is empty and place the lid on the tin. Remember there is no need to squash the tin.

Q. Why can I no longer put foil in my recycling?

A. There are a number of reasons why you can no longer put foil in your recycling. Firstly, it acts like paper in the sorting process making it difficult to separate. It also accounts for a negligible amount of the commingled recycling (approx 0.001%) and would take up valuable storage space at EnviroSort which can be more beneficially used for other materials.

It takes a vast amount of energy to smelt aluminium in the first place, but, once done, it is 100% recyclable, and can be recycled indefinitely. It is grossly irresponsible just to bin it, when its more about envirosort making a profit than adapting their system to sort it.

I am sure in time they will. Why do you ALWAYS see things in poor light, your glass is always half empty instead of half full, never happy! We never had recycling until a few years ago in 2009 and I am sure in time even that will improve, so whats wrong with profit? Its not a bad word you know, they need profit in order to improve and employ. This is actually something really good and you still complain.  :Angry:

I am sure in time they will. Why do you ALWAYS see things in poor light, your glass is always half empty instead of half full, never happy! We never had recycling until a few years ago in 2009 and I am sure in time even that will improve, so whats wrong with profit? Its not a bad word you know, they need profit in order to improve and employ. This is actually something really good and you still complain.  :Angry:

Yes I have noticed too. Come on dude it's not all doom and gloom

philbates said "it seems criminal that in this day and age we are throwing valuable metals into landfill" following an unhelpful response from the council. I agreed with him for the reasons stated and gave an alternative which could help, as did Frank Smith. I don't think that’s doom and gloom. It’s a forum - people complain -  that’s (partly) what they're for.

People misread others pointing out failure as complaining. My glass is always both half full and half empty - it's balanced. So when I "complain", it's actually because whatever I'm "complaining" about is failing. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it......... like wise, if it is broke, fix it. :)

Recycling has been around a lot longer than since 2009. Councils don't do it for altruistic reasons - they face massive EU fines if they don't achieve certain targets and PFI funded and profit driven recycling plants are there to exploit that. Silver foil was probably one of the first items to be recycled, starting decades ago, and its great to see the article linked in Frank Smith's post, where good work by local people is put ahead of blind profit to shareholders. 

It takes a vast amount of energy to smelt aluminium in the first place, but, once done, it is 100% recyclable, and can be recycled indefinitely. It is grossly irresponsible just to bin it, when its more about envirosort making a profit than adapting their system to sort it.

I don't think anyone suggested just to bin it did they? it was merely pointed out that the current recycling does NOT cater for foil so DO NOT put silver foil or metal cartons into the green recycling bins, however, there are several places that you CAN recycle foil, Frank has highlighted these places in his reply.