Plans for new GP super surgery to go on display

megilleland

I do think it is important that we remember what was promised for this area of Hereford City by councillors/ESG/Hereford Futures etc, as the Hereford Area Plan is supposedly being developed to determine the future of what was our "fair city". The promises of the last few years seem to have been completely empty (should I be surprised?) and instead this administration with its transport officers have well and truly created a mess of this important regeneration area and "once in a lifetime opportunity". Instead they have created further congestion/gridlock without actually building any new homes in the area and still spent £millions over budget. Where are all the cycle ways promised over the years (e.g. Broad St; St Owen St, City Link Road, etc.) ? The canal trust were talking of a great sounding scheme using the tunnel under Aylestone Hill (at my age avoiding cycling up that hill would be a bonus) into the Canal basin by the train station, linking into Withington, etc. They cant do it without the money (the development at Holmer Trading Estate came back and negotiated out this funding for the canal trust) but now it seems that they cant do it as the canal basin seems to be another car park/mass of tarmac. 

WE have been promised replacement trees in High Town for those taken down for the bull (Where are they?) Trees promised for lots of areas, including the tree lined boulevard that Blueschool Street is to become with its cafe culture and all the traffic moved to the link road. WE must remember this in the next local elections as all the promises are empty and this Herefordshire Council has sold us all out and delivered nothing of the masterplan that didnt line the pockets of developers that are not in the least bit interested in the future of Hereford. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SON OF GRIDKNOCKER said:

Re Maggie May's excellent comment above, the official definition of Green Infrastructure is: "The concept, in land-use planning terms, which highlights the natural environment."

Quite apart from the fact that contractors needlessly felled a number of mature trees which stood beside the old W H Smith depot; and the fact that not a single tree was planted along the 800 metres of the absurd Link Road to Nowhere; I have been unable to identify anything whatsoever in the visuals of the box-like Super Surgery which indicates that anyone involved in this project has the slightest interest in the natural environment!

Saw them planting a load of trees both sides last week which will probably be pulled up once all the building work starts.

Feeble Responses.  When one reads the paucity of thought contained in John Bothomley's 85-word stream-of-consciousness submission on behalf of Hereford Civic Society; or looks at the pusillanimous contribution from Natural England (sic) - "Summary of Natural England's Advice: No Objection" - one is drawn to the conclusion that HC's Cabinet must be laughing their socks off.  Opposition? What opposition?

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, SON OF GRIDKNOCKER said:

Feeble Responses.  When one reads the paucity of thought contained in John Bothomley's 85-word stream-of-consciousness submission on behalf of Hereford Civic Society; or looks at the pusillanimous contribution from Natural England (sic) - "Summary of Natural England's Advice: No Objection" - one is drawn to the conclusion that HC's Cabinet must be laughing their socks off.  Opposition? What opposition?

Gridknocker , when I read the No objections comments I came to the same conclusion as you BUT your written thoughts are bang on .

Thought that Mr MILLN ( think that's his name ) Objections were again very well thought out and should give the Decisions  makers something to consider ( no I'm not joking ) .

On 01/06/2018 at 21:01, Maggie May said:

This is not just a surgery it also includes a retail element (could be a pharmacy?) and an area for "expansion".

The plans also claim that this application will "increase green infrastructure" to the City Link Road. To me there is minimal "green infrastructure" being proposed when they are seeking so many car parking spaces albeit it is an improvement on the industrial expanse of tarmac where the canal basin should have gone! Another opportunity lost - this proposal bears no relation to what was being proposed as part of the whole ESG plans we were told about when this area was all to be developed   ESG Proposals here. These proposals were for a 21st century development putting cyclists/pedestrians above cars and providing park & ride and bus services, from a new bus station alongside the railway station. Can nothing of this vision be salvaged?

The entrance to this large car park will also sever what was supposed to be a protected cycleway. The design does nothing to enhance the setting of the railway station and the proposed "transport hub" in the pictures in the design and access statement make this look no more than a few modern bus shelters - what about bike hire? Taxis? AS the application says "the transport hub (design unknown)" Why? I thought the transport hub was an integral part of the City Link Road project and was supposed to be delivered if not designed by now.  

Whilst I welcome in theory this larger health centre I still believe it is in the wrong place, is an unacceptable design and will mean even more of the opportunities that Cllr Roger Phillips waxed so lyrically. AS the ESG says "Roger Phillips, Leader of Herefordshire Council, which instigated the development scheme, said, “Herefordshire Council recognises the important economic, environmental and cultural impacts the project will have, both on the city and the county. Opportunities to redevelop a major part of an historic market city are very rare and I urge everyone to examine and comment on the Masterplan, the success of which is so vital to the future of our county.”

I see that a Jeremy Milln has made a very detailed objection, making reference to the Historic England report and condemning the design and location.

Did you read this email from the agent to Kelly Gibbons? I don't think he's happy with Matthew Knight comments on the design!

https://myaccount.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents?id=1b583854-5cff-11e8-b537-0050569f00ae

• Like 1

I do think it is important that we remember what was promised for this area of Hereford City by councillors/ESG/Hereford Futures etc, as the Hereford Area Plan is supposedly being developed to determine the future of what was our "fair city". The promises of the last few years seem to have been completely empty (should I be surprised?) and instead this administration with its transport officers have well and truly created a mess of this important regeneration area and "once in a lifetime opportunity". Instead they have created further congestion/gridlock without actually building any new homes in the area and still spent £millions over budget. Where are all the cycle ways promised over the years (e.g. Broad St; St Owen St, City Link Road, etc.) ? The canal trust were talking of a great sounding scheme using the tunnel under Aylestone Hill (at my age avoiding cycling up that hill would be a bonus) into the Canal basin by the train station, linking into Withington, etc. They cant do it without the money (the development at Holmer Trading Estate came back and negotiated out this funding for the canal trust) but now it seems that they cant do it as the canal basin seems to be another car park/mass of tarmac. 

WE have been promised replacement trees in High Town for those taken down for the bull (Where are they?) Trees promised for lots of areas, including the tree lined boulevard that Blueschool Street is to become with its cafe culture and all the traffic moved to the link road. WE must remember this in the next local elections as all the promises are empty and this Herefordshire Council has sold us all out and delivered nothing of the masterplan that didnt line the pockets of developers that are not in the least bit interested in the future of Hereford. 

I see that the landscape officer has written a brief email supporting the historic buildings officer and querying the mass of this building. I agree with all that this officer has said. The existing GP surgeries have been around for such a long time, I dont think a delay of 6 months to get the City scape/masterplan for Hereford is that much of an issue when this opportunity is a "once in a lifetime" to make a huge difference to our city. The GPs dont even know where the 5,000 university students and their "campus" is going. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, SON OF GRIDKNOCKER said:

Views of this topic topped 1000 this weekend. Yet only 8 representations about this controversial planning application have so far been lodged, with less than a week to the closing date for submissions (14 June).  What does this tell us about our apathy?

Probably that the Council website wasn't working for this planning application at times last week? Also, if you dont know the link how would you know where to find it on the Council website? It has only been made easy for Hereford Voice readers because of the link kindly provided earlier in the post. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...

I cycled past this today - it's very, very big. No thought for cyclists by closing the shared space along the side of the road (the red sign says 'cycleway closed'). I have to say the Link Road is one of the most dangerous pieces of road I have cycled - signing is non-existent, turning right is a death wish, really, every councillor and officer involved in the delivery of this should be made to cycle it end to end in both directions to see just what an appalling and dangerous mess it is.

IMG_2714.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2019 at 00:43, megilleland said:

And the crossings for pedestrians are very poor, especially the ones between Royal Mail and the Railway Station.

This road is going to be gridlocked with traffic once all the building has finished. Should of been a roundabout on this junction with a pedestrian crossing on each road leading to it & a 20 mph speed limit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2019 at 19:01, twowheelsgood said:

I heard whisper a little while ago that this junction was to be redesigned, hopefully not by the hopeless bunch who messed it up first time round.

That junction is a dogs dinner. The priority coming out of the railway station or from the Royal Mail side is basically a guess. The light phase is set for a collision as the green phase is simultaneous for both. There's been a major smash there already.