The Matabeau Hereford

Denise Lloyd

Oh really? Then why is The Maylord and Commercial St festooned with empty shops?

Probably because it have never been updated and it was empty way before the new shopping centre opened! Only place to have moved was TK Maxx the restaurant and Lamberts have been closed for years. Toilets are usually always out of order too! 

Oh really? Then why is The Maylord and Commercial St festooned with empty shops?

Remember your ramblings whilst the Old market was being constructed & I'm sure you called it a white elephant on many occasions.

Sick and F**king tired of people like you putting the City down,the moans about empty shops is boring me to death.The way people shop has changed not only in Hereford but ALL OVER THE UK... Get a grip,get over it.

High business rates, in town, online shopping, Amazon, supermarkets to name just few. It's not just Hereford with empty shops, the high street is dying all around the world as consumer behaviour changes. But saying that I've never seen Hereford as busy as it is now.

Everything Harry has written is completely factual. As for it being a white elephant, I prefer to refer to it as a Monument To Stupidity. At just over sixty three million quid of public money to build a retail centre at the very same time as shopping habits have changed forever is reckless, foolhardy and a gift to Stanhope, Britsh Land and Herford Futures who've asset stripped our home City of wealth.

As for the Old Market, footfall is down and as we exchange these thoughts,retailers, small and large who are based down at the OM are considering whether to go, downsize their staff or ride it out and see what happens.

Mark my words, particularly the large retailers, when the juicy financial incentive periods run out that got these brands here in the first place, they'll consider profit margins and abandon our City. This is not bluff and hyperbole! The downturn in footfall, particularly across the entire trading period piece has caused considerable alarm within and these companies are not going to continue carrying large numbers of staff when few people are inside browsing or buying.

As for the places to eat and drink,,,,,they're doing ok but it's all been at the expense of High Town who's still trading proprietors are sitting there, day in, day out often taking in less than a hundred quid a day. Don't tell these traders that times have never been so good.

For them and for us who funded this madness it's been disastrous and it'll come back to bite our fragile economy when the true extent of the stupidity comes home to roost and our youngsters are faced with the dilemma, 'what now and where do we go'.

Still empty today, although noted that the ladies fashion shop that was operating on the corner of Widemarsh Street and Bewell Street is now to become another charity shop for dogs. The other reason that there will be an ill wind blowing through the city next month is the revaluation of the business rates. This can be the death knell for many businesses who will get substantial demands to cough up for this governmental outdated tax. You can appeal against the demand, but the rate tribunals are heavily weighed against the small independent family run businesses who feel they are being treated unfairly.

PHILIP Hammond is exploring ways to ease the pain of a business rate revaluation that critics fear could force thousands to the wall, it emerged yesterday.

Sources said he would not bow to demands to scrap the reform, but was looking to see if it could be made any fairer. 

The proposed change, coming into effect on April 1, has been attacked by several high-profile critics, including senior Conservative MPs. 

The first revaluation in rates for seven years, based on rental values of commercial properties, will see shops, surgeries, pubs, hospitals and schools paying up to 42 per cent more this year and up to 400 per cent more over five years. 

The Government has insisted only a quarter of organisations in England will see a rise, with others due a cut or no change. 

A government source said: “The Chancellor will be looking at ways of ensuring that things can be done a little fairer.†

Critics claim that while many small and high street shops face huge rates hikes, online retail giants will pay much less on their huge premises. 

Mr Hammond delivers his Budget on March 8. The Treasury declined to comment last night.

The VOA sets the rateable value of non-domestic properties and helps to ensure that the rates you pay are correct. Your local council decides the amount of rates you pay and administers rates bills (including reductions).

Service unavailable

We're sorry, but due to high demand, this content is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Get help with this service

Restricted terms and conditions apply.

And this is at 12.30am in the morning. There must be a lot of businesses desperate to find out how deep they will have to dig into their pockets.

Still empty today, although noted that the ladies fashion shop that was operating on the corner of Widemarsh Street and Bewell Street is now to become another charity shop for dogs. The other reason that there will be an ill wind blowing through the city next month is the revaluation of the business rates. This can be the death knell for many businesses who will get substantial demands to cough up for this governmental outdated tax. You can appeal against the demand, but the rate tribunals are heavily weighed against the small independent family run businesses who feel they are being treated unfairly.

The VOA sets the rateable value of non-domestic properties and helps to ensure that the rates you pay are correct. Your local council decides the amount of rates you pay and administers rates bills (including reductions).

And this is at 12.30am in the morning. There must be a lot of businesses desperate to find out how deep they will have to dig into their pockets.

Not only that but Herefordshire Councils plans to install 22 on street parking machines look like they will be going ahead even after a public consultation.

They really do not realise the effect this will have on businesses in the City....Or do they.

This has gone off topic

Can't see how this has gone off topic. You need to see the wider picture when businesses are failing to survive. Business rates are the number one killer.

Matabeau Cafe Ltd
21, Commercial Street, Hereford, HR1 2DE

Description: Restaurant and premises
Total area (m²/unit): 194.8
Price per m²/unit: £650.00
Current rateable value: £48,000

They would pay £23,232 a year = £1936 a week = £276 a day

on top of utility bills, staff wages, insurance, maintenance and a host of hidden charges.

I was wrong about one thing. I had thought Hereford Voice was an open forum where everyone's opinion was respected - not a mouth-piece for abusive trolls like Ragwrt!

nah, only if you agree with other people on here, if you do not agree you are in the wrong.

you have to love Hereford, you have to be positive about Hereford, you have to say how great it is.

Not saying it is a mouthpiece for trolls, but i do not think it is a place where they like you having your say.

Remember your ramblings whilst the Old market was being constructed & I'm sure you called it a white elephant on many occasions.

Sick and F**king tired of people like you putting the City down,the moans about empty shops is boring me to death.The way people shop has changed not only in Hereford but ALL OVER THE UK... Get a grip,get over it.

Grow up, people have the right to have their say and if you do not agree with so what? 

I do not agree with what you say, but I do not go and throw my toys out of the pram, you sure you are not part of our council as they seem to do that when they can not get their way.

Accept it, Hereford is awful, roads falling apart, pavements with holes in so big that when it rains  you get huge puddles, a stnech from Sun valley,  #~Traffic jams that puts fumes into the air that people like myself have to breath when we  walk around.

A town centre that is falling apart, with few shops worth bothering with, a so called new shopping centre with even less shops worth bothering with a load of  glorified  fast food shops.

The only semi decent thing that have come to Hereford is the cinema, and that is run by the wrong company.

To top it off, Hereford have put in for the city of culture, that is a laugh, oh yes and do not forget the so called university and that huge blot on the landscape they want to stick up in Rotherwas. 

Hereford is a dead end City, with a dead end council that have no idea what they are doing apart from spending our money on dead end projects.

Maylord is awful not all Maylords fault, but with Argos gone, there is even less reason for me to go there, the pound shop and Wilkos are really all that is left in Maylords.

TBH, I now do more of my shopping online apart from food, get it from amazon, and it is delivered even to Morrisons or my post office, cheaper as well.

Re-reading this post, one thing strikes me...

You say that you're sick of people running Hereford down, fine, I get that and agree to a point.

You complain about someone not agreeing with the OLM and being bored with the empty shop debate...

But as you go on to say, the way people shop has changed all over the UK.  This, just as Hereford opens a new multi million pound shopping area (i won't call it a shopping centre, or mall it's not big enough) where the new tenants are being given sweeteners to encourage them to locate there.  So...  What happens when the deals run out?  Will the shiny new centre stay full of all these lovely new shops? Or will they pack up and leave?

At the moment, nobody knows, but your dislike of the empty shop debate isn't going to go away any time soon.  Adrian Symonds and others are right about Maylord Orchards, go and wander round the atrium now and it is a depressing place to be, cheap shops, tired facade, no pride, it's sad to see...

My apologies if this is still off-topic, but it sort of has links to the wider debate of the demise of The Matabeau, if you look hard enough.

Re-reading this post, one thing strikes me...

You say that you're sick of people running Hereford down, fine, I get that and agree to a point.

You complain about someone not agreeing with the OLM and being bored with the empty shop debate...

But as you go on to say, the way people shop has changed all over the UK.  This, just as Hereford opens a new multi million pound shopping area (i won't call it a shopping centre, or mall it's not big enough) where the new tenants are being given sweeteners to encourage them to locate there.  So...  What happens when the deals run out?  Will the shiny new centre stay full of all these lovely new shops? Or will they pack up and leave?

At the moment, nobody knows, but your dislike of the empty shop debate isn't going to go away any time soon.  Adrian Symonds and others are right about Maylord Orchards, go and wander round the atrium now and it is a depressing place to be, cheap shops, tired facade, no pride, it's sad to see...

My apologies if this is still off-topic, but it sort of has links to the wider debate of the demise of The Matabeau, if you look hard enough.

Off topic again but we have had empty shops for near 10 years now.Hearing about them bores me.I don't just say about people changes to the way people shop it's fact,we

just do not need the amount of shops that we have in Hereford (around 320) Turn some of them into residential,Worcester have.

At the risk of antagonising the trolls on here who refuse to accept that the Old Market has had a negative effect on the historic city centre and who believe 'Hereford has never been busier', the owner of Outback Records in Church Street this week announced their closure after 50 years. In the Hereford Times article she was quoted as saying the demise of Outback was directly attributable to a 30% drop in footfall since the OM opened! Anecdotal but a story being repeated throughout the city.

Listen to this Radio 4 Money Box programme broadcast today on business rates which takes effect 1st April 2017 and imagine what the outcome will be for some independent traders in UK town centres. I don't think it matters whether your rates go up or down, but how you manage/budget for them in running a profitable business - some people are in for a big shock.

At the risk of antagonising the trolls on here who refuse to accept that the Old Market has had a negative effect on the historic city centre and who believe 'Hereford has never been busier', the owner of Outback Records in Church Street this week announced their closure after 50 years. In the Hereford Times article she was quoted as saying the demise of Outback was directly attributable to a 30% drop in footfall since the OM opened! Anecdotal but a story being repeated throughout the city.

Negative effect lol

And as for the record shop most of her comments say this...

The thing that really persuaded me to say, 'This is the moment,' partly because I am getting on and I couldn't find anyone to take it on. And also because of the new parking restrictions in the centre of town and the loss of free parking in Castle Street, which will made a big difference to our older customers.

She also said this regarding Fodder taking over the Outback premises..

Ms Townson said this helped her make the final decision to close, adding: "I am really pleased they are coming in."

So now who's the troll?