Planning Application No 162770F Stoney Street Madley

Denise Lloyd

An application has been submitted for an electricity generating plant in Stoney Street Madley.  On viewing the application it was generally felt that this was a small fry operation but the enormity of it is just hitting home to many me included.  To get a better picture of it I suggest anybody interested should read the objections and in particular the one from John and Anne Harrison.  HC have set a target determination date for this PA as Friday 28th October 2016.  It is thought the block housing the generator will be bigger than Madley Parish Church with 10 chimneys at a height of 13 metres - now that will be a blot of the landscape!!

Number P162770/F Historic Reference Number   Current status Valid Type Planning Permission Location Land off Stone Street Nr Madley Hereford Proposal Small Scale Gas Fired Energy Reserve Facility and Ancillary Infrastructure Parish Madley Ward Stoney Street

Herewith a copy of a letter being passed to local residents - name and address withheld and permission has been given for me to publish the letter

Dear Neighbour,

Planning Application  P162770/F

Have you noticed that a planning application is before the County Council to build and run an electricity generating plant halfway between you on Brampton Road and ourselves on Stoney Street?

The ugly block of the generator, in its cladding , covers not far short of the area of the Parish Church and  will be topped by ten chimneys 13 meters  (or 43 feet) high.  It will burn gas to make electricity whenever it is fired up – 4 hours a day averaged across the year.  The smoke it produces will carry nitrous oxides, not good for us but very damaging to fruit and forest trees because nitrous oxides mixed with any rain turn into Acid Rain   It will be noisy always and will have flood lights fixed at 30 feet above ground.

The applicant STOR 112 Ltd have only existed since 19 April 2016, have no accounts, won’t submit any until 2018.  The man handling STOR 112 did not have British nationality until 19 April 2016 either.  The Serious Fraud Bureau at police headquarters in London seems to find the case interesting.

Do look up STOR 112 Ltd – they and the builders are private firms, making a profit at your expense – and then write to the County Council asking them to defer the issue while you can all seek information, (originally the Council notified just one person!) – perhaps even legal advice.  Having this monster in view all the leafless winter months will surely cut the value of your home.

THE COUNTY COUNCIL HAVE SET THIS FRIDAY AS THEIR ‘TARGET DETERMINATION DAY’ FOR THIS CASE – DEMAND A POSTPONEMENT WHILE YOU SEE HOW YOU ARE AFFECTED – AND RAISE ANY OBJECTIONS YOU HAVE.    PLEASE ACT TODAY, TOMORROW MAY BE TOO LATE!

By coincidence this story in the Lyme Regis and Bridport News 5 days ago echoing concerns where villagers and campaigners have submitted more than 330 letters of objection to planners over proposals to build a 20MW gas fired energy reserve facility along Stonebarrow Lane in Hawkchurch on the Dorset-Devon border. The same companies involved with the Madley project.

By coincidence this story in the Lyme Regis and Bridport News 5 days ago echoing concerns where villagers and campaigners have submitted more than 330 letters of objection to planners over proposals to build a 20MW gas fired energy reserve facility along Stonebarrow Lane in Hawkchurch on the Dorset-Devon border. The same companies involved with the Madley project.

This application is being dealt with by East Devon District Council. Over 400 comments and objections - noise appears a problem.

STOR is Short Term Operating Reserve - it would seem the National Grid are inviting tenders to supply electricity via these sites, so it would appear that these applications are entirely speculative by private companies - presumably the land owners expect some reward should they come to fruition, as no doubt does Mr Poole. I hope the architects have been paid for all this work! The lack of technical supporting data is a give-away - I don't understand why this application has been accepted in this form.

http://www2.nationalgrid.com/uk/services/balancing-services/reserve-services/short-term-operating-reserve/

Thank you so very much both TWG and Megilleland.  Herefordshire is very fortunate to have people like you who are prepared to give your time and knowledge for free.  As you say it is a mystery that the Planning Dept have put this application up for consideration - perhaps their pending move was causing confusion but questions should be asked and hopefully our Ward Councillors will step up to the mark. Many residents have been and are being caused quite a bit of upset and worry and if this is just a speculative app that should not have gone this far well it is disgraceful

I may be completely wrong, but are not these power facilities held in reserve to the National Grid to supply power "on tap" as it were, with quick startup. This is to alleviate having coal fired stations, still burning coal, on a standby basis. Also Wind Turbines that supply b*gger all when the wind doesn't blow.  Sorry Denise, I should have read your link first. 

Interesting I've a number of relatives who live in Madley but not one of them have said anything about this PA? You'd also think that HT would of picked up on this & reported it? which makes me think that this has been kept from the wider publics attention?

This is the first I have heard of it as well - and I live less than a mile and a bit from it! Have looked at the plans and the application and really can't see why it has got this far. There a re holes in the application regarding the wildlife - which is plentiful being close the environmental reserve at the earth station, there are definitely great crested newts and plenty of bats about the area.