Health & Social Care Payments

Chris Chappell

I am investigating whether people in receipt of benefits from the council or health are being treated properly. I hope that you and/or your family & friends can help me.

I have received reports that some disabled people are not disabled enough to get full financial support despite being unable to feed themselves, toilet or wash themselves, needing two care workers several times a day to turn them or change soiled clothes. I do not want to put ideas into your heads so will say no more. Want you to tell me!

I have reason to believe that some professionals are expected to put their professional judgement on one side, a criminal offence, and report that clients do not need the financial support they deserve.

Please ask your family, your neighbour, any one you know who is/ has received any form of disability benefit, but now is being means tested, what they have been told.

I can not explor this without you, so thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you.

Would you mind if I posted this on a forum on Facebook I think the people on there would have a few comments to make!  Perhaps people would prefer to reply privately could you include your email address please.

The whole care industry requires a major overhaul some of the things I have seen going on shocking.

I work in a registered residential care home. 17 residents to 5 staff! That is all the funding can provide! Most have profound learning difficulties and present challenging behaviour 90% of the day. They have received "books" to fill in, to assess whether the residents are fit to work! Most can't even make toast! Each one of these forms will take over an hour to complete, I phone up DWP and explain the implications involved and to send someone round to assess the place in one go, as we don't have the time to fill them in. They don't respond. The residents have been placed there by authorities in the first place as it is a safe environment for them! Only now are we in the process of being allocated 1-1 time with each of the residents, many of whom have been there 10+ years. Absolutely absurd, they should be chasing those that are milking the system. And to top it off we are dealing with 4 or 5 local authorities none of whom communicate with each other.

Hi Denise, it would be very useful if you could get this on FB. You may be aware that I am not awfully good with FB etc so it would be very useful if you could do this for me. My email address is; cchappell@herefordshire.gov.uk

Could you also mention I hold two surgeries a month one one first Saturday of the month starting at10.30am at Hinton Community Centre and on the third Thursday each month at the Kindle Centre for an hour starting at 6pm. Although what people tell me on FB or HV I really do need to talk to people one to one to get the facts! Every thing is confidential of course.

Many thanks.

Dillgaf,

Oh dear, hear of this sort of thing all the time. Nothing surprises me any more but we can not allow this to go on, it's time to fight back for the vulnerable. If you can let me have some facts etc I can use it when I hope the Social Care and Health Scrutiny Committee take this up.

I agree Chris but there are also many who claim and are not disabled are you interested in investigating those people too?

Chris C all done on Facebook.  Yes please an full investigation in the care system is very  long overdue.  As Bill Thomas has also added there are a lot of cases of people and families working the system fairly well and they should also be fully investigated.  Cars huge expensive televisions unnecessary calls when the family members are sat in the house perfectly capable of putting a meal in the microwave oh yes it all goes on in some homes. 

I agree entirely about many people claiming and when I believe I have come across such a person, I report it. However, do not want that to get mixed up with those who do need help and may not be getting the assistance they need. The council did have, until recently, their own investigation team however these people have now been transferred over to DSS. They still investigate fraud for council. The NHS has its own anti fraud investigators.

Thank you Denise Llood for your FB page.

I agree Chris but there are also many who claim and are not disabled are you interested in investigating those people too?

I think you will find there are plenty of them. I have never seen so many disabled parking spaces in Hereford, so are we to believe there are more disabled people now than there were 10 years ago, or just more scammers?