Road signs ignored

ragwert

So I'm working in East Street which should be pretty quiet as to the amount of vehicles using it because
it's a road you cannot go down as it has no motor vehicles signs at its entrance in Broad Street.It is just access only meaning you can only go down East Street if you need access to properties in East Street.
But not only is it ignored by the general public it is also ignored by Taxis,Balfour Beatty vans & police cars.
To say the residents down there are angry is an understatement and from what I have been told all their concerns fall on
deaf ears.

A few years ago, the police did an exercise, whereby they plonked a couple of officers on the corner of Barclays/The Queens, and stopped and challenged all motorists that were turning into East Street.

I would suggest that was repeated, but of course, there aren't enough spare officers to be doing that sort of community policing.

The same exercise was performed on Moorfield Street, the number of motorists that treat Moorfield Street as their own personal shortcut / Private Drag Strip used to be astounding!  Probably still is, but I've moved...

I'm guilty of using east street as I'm sure a lot of people are? To be honest I use it to gain access to castle street as it's quicker than going round the ring road.…but it's not the only road sign ignored in Hereford has anyone noticed that traffic coming out of maylord orchards are not supposed to turn right to go down widemarsh street buses & lorry as well as other motor vehicles use it but there not supposed to!

I'm guilty of using east street as I'm sure a lot of people are? To be honest I use it to gain access to castle street as it's quicker than going round the ring road.…but it's not the only road sign ignored in Hereford has anyone noticed that traffic coming out of maylord orchards are not supposed to turn right to go down widemarsh street buses & lorry as well as other motor vehicles use it but there not supposed to!

Looked at that earlier.When you want to turn right into Widemarsh St from Blueschool St you can only get three vehicles before the box junction so if there are any more vehicles wanting to turn right they are stopped from doing so by the box junction.

I think the part of the box junction on the right turn lane should be removed.

Not including exempted vehicles you can only use that entry into East Street if there was absolutely no other route to go about doing your business in East Street or beyond. Which immediately cuts out anyone who could do stuff by driving down Offa Street and turning left to go past the back of the Town Hall. This includes everyone on the school run into Castle Street as well. If you think about then you can do virtually next to nothing in the first bit of East Street in your vehicle unless it's picking up in the M&S loading bay.

I don't know exactly when they changed the sign but they have and it now has the same 'no motor vehicle' round symbol with the words 'except for access and taxis' underneath. It would have coincided with the new traffic order that came in on 30.01.15. There has just been some minor tinkering with the wording to specifically give exemption to Taxis. And a taxi is not a private hire vehicle. It's a 'hackney carriage'. There are other exemptions as well but if you put them all on the sign it would be six foot long and very confusing.

But not only is it ignored by the general public it is also ignored by Taxis,Balfour Beatty vans & police cars.

Certain BB vehicles will be exempt. All Police cars are exempt if they are on Police business. Which includes if the driver just fancies a drive down East Street because they're bored.

Can be quite dangerous for the unwary crossing over from Church Street  in the direction of the cathedral.  I'm amazed some unfortunate tourist hasn't stepped out into the road and been hit by a car.

My missus a long time ago hit a cyclist cycling across the Church St crossing and he ended up smashing through the passenger side window ending up on my mother in laws lap..I kid you not.

One of the Jickles twins high on drugs of all people.

One of the Jickles twins high on drugs of all people.

Incredibly intelligent pair. I've seen lengthy writings' (I think by Mark) and I was very impressed with what I read. Obviously a few issues going on but there we go ...

On the subject of East Street you've probably got a 1000% more chance of getting a Council Parking Ticket than getting stopped in East Street by the cops for that sign thing. Even then it would probably be a telling off. And that would probably only come after a publicity stunt to say stops might be happening. I think the last time for that was 2008. People aren't bothered quite frankly. Hundreds of offences every day of the year.