5p Charge For Carrier Bags From Oct 5th

Colin James

I hope people realise that is is law and not done by the supermarkets to make money, in fact it is the government who will benefit from this, as that 5p includes VAT.

So people, do not complain to stores or blame the checkout operator as they can not do anything about it, in fact giving a free bag will be against the law.

Sainsburys 5p bags will be bags for life, they are a bit thicker than the single use bags, but the same size. 

So bring the bag bag when it wears out and you will get a new one. So single use bags in Sainsburys will be no more.

I know this because I work there.

I don't know what the other supermarkets are doing, but I don't think any other supermarket are doing bags for life for 5p.

I think it is a good thing to be honest, too many people wanting a bag for a news paper or for one small item, also the English law for bags is not as strict as in Wales and Scotland. 

People will get used to it.

There are a few very specific exemptions. You will not be charged for plastic bags if you're buying:

• live aquatic creatures in water
  • unwrapped blades, including axes, knives, and knife and razor blades
  • uncooked meat, poultry or fish
  • prescription medicine
  • unwrapped loose seeds, flowers, bulbs, corns, rhizomes - as in roots, stems and shoots, such as ginger - or goods contaminated by soil, like potatoes or plants
  • unwrapped ready-to-eat food for animal or human consumption - for example, chips, or food sold in containers not secure enough to prevent leakage during normal handling

I'm not sure how this will work at the self serve. How will the machine know how many bags are being used or not being used? Will it have to ask?

Although, if you go to the garage at Sainsbury's the chap behind the till has been trying to charge 5p for a bag since September 5th...

Really? We only got the bags in a couple of days ago, maybe he got mixed up. i only know a couple of people in the Garage and I know for sure they would not do it.

i will ask about that tomorrow at work if I remember.

I'm not sure how this will work at the self serve. How will the machine know how many bags are being used or not being used? Will it have to ask?

At our place they are going to put the bags in a box under the machines and you take what you want and I think you either scan them as they will have a bar code or you just enter the amount you have got. 

My words was, yep that will work, not.

But remember, if anyone decided that they was not going to pay for their bag and not bother to scan it and get found out, that is theft, is it really worth it for 5p?

At our place they are going to put the bags in a box under the machines and you take what you want and I think you either scan them as they will have a bar code or you just enter the amount you have got. 

Good point. I've got a Morrison's plastic bag in the cupboard. Never noticed before but it's got a bar code on. I suppose it could be confusing if I take it back into Morrison's on the 5th to re-use it and they they think I'm stealing it if they didn't see me pull it out.  :tongue_32:

I have been paying for M&S bags for ages, they are bigger, and stronger, the one you get from Tesco are rubbish very thin and if you fill it to the top it then splits when you walk away from the till, you need two one in side the other to make it strong. I recycle my Tesco bags by putting the rubbish in them before they go into the black bags.

I asked in Tesco this evening what about self service and I was informed that you will have to ask for a bag, then pay. Bags will not be there to just help yourself too.

I think we might very well have to wait to see how this shakes out in a few days as that suggested practice seems time consuming. My guess is that it will end up depending on trust in the self service user to grab the bag and scan it. You will never have cameras and staff worrying over carrier bags (that are free today) when the vodka and cheese is going missing in different parts of the store! 

Good point. I've got a Morrison's plastic bag in the cupboard. Never noticed before but it's got a bar code on. I suppose it could be confusing if I take it back into Morrison's on the 5th to re-use it and they they think I'm stealing it if they didn't see me pull it out.  :tongue_32:

You have a point there, I presume they will notice that it is not flay and got creases in, where the new ones will look new.

They have been doing this in Wales for ages. Occasionally I have used the big Asda up on the top of the Heads of the Valley road near the Tydfil and I have never seen trouble at the check out!

If there was to be a revolt and anarchy over such dastardly deeds it would be here at Merthyr where a few weeks ago I saw diesel at £1.08.

Checkout_getty.jpg

I used the Hereford Morrison's self service tills tonight. There are 4 which are soon to increase to 6.

Anyhow. All of the carrier bags have been removed from every self serve till. I asked the monitor fella what happens if I needed one? He said he would have to go away and get one (or however many I needed) and then come back and scan it through the till himself to make sure it was paid for. Or he would give it to me and stand at the till to watch me scan it. He said that they would be fined if they didn't follow the rules' to the letter. It had been ruled out to trust the customer to select a bag as previously and then scan it.

We quickly worked out he had to do that for all 4 tills on top of authorising booze and dealing with the screens dealing with all the 'take the last item out of the bag' error message type stuff. 

As I left all of the other three tills had people just balancing stuff on top of each other in the now bag less bagging areas. 

2928052.large.jpg

Some shops have vegetable aisles with the really thin bags on a roll (with handles). The one's you put yer sprouts in. They are technically 'carrier bags' .... There is going to have to be some serious monitoring of the self serve area of shops to make sure none of those slip through the net! 

charge.jpg

bags.jpg

Govt. Website

2928052.large.jpg

Some shops have vegetable aisles with the really thin bags on a roll (with handles). The one's you put yer sprouts in. They are technically 'carrier bags' .... There is going to have to be some serious monitoring of the self serve area of shops to make sure none of those slip through the net! 

charge.jpg

bags.jpg

Govt. Website

If you put say some loose baking spuds,  the bag is free, but if you put some prepackage carrots in you will have to pay for the bag.

I was in Asda tonight at the kiosk. The woman in front of me was buying a magazine and 4 x 500 ml cans of lager and she asked for a bag. The Asda lady serving reached underneath the counter and produced some unbranded micro thin bags on a roll and handed one over which looked 50/50 if it could ever handle 4 big cans and so the customer asked for a second to 'double bag'. That added up to 10p.  :tongue_32: