Unusual aircraft over Hereford

megilleland

• 7 months later...

British invention way before its time .

The Fairey Rotodyne was a 1950s British compound gyroplane designed and built by Fairey Aviation and intended for commercial and military applications.[2] A development of the earlier Gyrodyne, which had established a world helicopter speed record, the Rotodyne featured a tip jet-powered rotor that burned a mixture of fuel and compressed air bled from two wing-mounted Napier Eland turboprops. The rotor was driven for vertical takeoffs, landings and hovering, as well as low-speed translational flight, and autorotated during cruise flight with all engine power applied to two propellers.

post-862-0-04136900-1459870018_thumb.jpeg

Hmmm not sure if that is what I saw this morning? Although I have seen it previously. This was a "private" jet being flanked by a mod heli. I say private jet but thinking a very small commercial jetliner! That was at 830 this morning. Flying fairly low and close! Royalties maybe? I know smallish planes can still land at sterling, not sure about pontrilas though. going the wrong way for shobden!

• 3 months later...