Mower Servicing

Roger

image.jpg

Has anyone on here had an issue with this sort of thing ? I dropped my small petrol mower off at O.H. Mower Services on Plough Lane on 29th May 2015 for a service as it was 'spluttering'. I was quoted 'one to two weeks' as the timescale and left my number. 

No contact so had to ring twice today to get some sort of timescale. I was told next Tuesday at the latest (by the very friendly sounding lady) as the mower had just sat there for two weeks ~ in storage. Reason given was 'short staffed' at the workshop. The firm date was offered when I said I was coming around to collect the machine to go somewhere else!

Price quoted was £56 plus parts by the way .... 

Blimey!

That does seem a bit pricey...... and the customer service sounds like it leaves an awful lot to be desired....!

Have you thought about investing in a goat???

They do a brilliant job of keeping your lawn down, and are good company too!

Hi all :)

It seems this is an on going problem with named service. I dropped off petrol hedge trimmer about 4 weeks ago, the man who dealt with hand held gadgets being unavailable. I to spoke to a very nice lady who would ring back as again so called man who deals with it was not there. No phone call. I wonder if this man exists? I am off to collect it first thing tomorrow as I have no quote no nothing and a very over growing hedge!!

Personally Roger I though you might be a Mountfield kind of guy!

A few years ago a mate of mine had a similar experience but it turned out that during that two week turnaround the bloke in question was servicing his mower then using it to cut lawns without ever buying one himself! He found out because one day he went to pick his kids up at the X wife's place and there he was doing her lawn which incidentally he was paying for as part of a settlement!

Cracking idea don't you think!

Update on my poor hedge trimmer!!

Upon contact today to say I'm collecting it I received a call back from a young man who kindly told me nothing useful! Upon opening it and seeing nothing so far would need to venture further in which may take an hour costing £32 and not being able to tell me a quote apart from parts cost from £3-£19 and can't look at my trimmer until next week. I think I'm giving up collecting it and buying a new one 😤 reason given was time of year a lot of people wanting things fixed?

Personally Roger I though you might be a Mountfield kind of guy!

That mower pic is not my own mower but an internet image of an identical one. A McCulloch that cost me £150 about 3 years ago. Quite flimsy build quality. My previous mower was a Mountfield M4 Major (very intuitive GK) that I obtained for free, second hand, in 1982 from Bufton's mower shop on Gravel Hill in Ludlow. It gave up the ghost in 2012 having never been serviced. All I did was put a new spark plug in occasionally and I had to get a new exhaust housing once as the old one blew apart. I did that meself. I reckon it could have been 5-10 years old when I had it so possibly went 40 years ... Very solid and made of alloy.

86_1.jpg

File photo .... 

Update on my poor hedge trimmer!!

reason given was time of year a lot of people wanting things fixed?

Everyone knows it's a seasonal demand. Rather like a chimney sweep. A sudden rush of work just before people want to fire up the wood burner. But stacking up a huge amount of work to maximise their profits over time is not going to endear them to many people. I don't want to wait until November for my equipment. I'm due a phone call tomorrow and the machine is being collected regardless on Wednesday. 

Hi all :)

It seems this is an on going problem with named service. I dropped off petrol hedge trimmer about 4 weeks ago, the man who dealt with hand held gadgets being unavailable. I to spoke to a very nice lady who would ring back as again so called man who deals with it was not there. No phone call. I wonder if this man exists? I am off to collect it first thing tomorrow as I have no quote no nothing and a very over growing hedge!!

As said before buy a goat.

Great for hedges too!

I too have acquired grass. And not that type!! I shall be resurrecting my trusty power devil mower £69 Argos special probably 10years ago. Been stored for 8!!

But I'll service it myself. Failing that, I'll buy a goat, great burglar alarm too! Watch this space.

I forgot to mention .... When I dropped off my mower off at O.H. Mower Services I unexpectedly bumped into the truant officer for a large school in Leominster. Small World! He's an old work mate. He was simultaneously dropping off a mower for servicing. I've asked him what the sketch was with his machine and he say's tonight that he's not heard a scooby doo! I've told him to pick his machine up. They are obviously time wasters at that business. 

Update: To cut a long story short they appear to have started work on my machine today. Done all the work you would expect but then found a warped carburettor that was basically the cause of the spluttering as it was letting in air through a gap that shouldn't be there. I went down and saw the mechanic and he appeared very genuine. He ordered the £18 part (not on their shelf unfortunately) but he missed the cut off for the one day delivery for tomorrow so very possibly Thursday for a resolution. 

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone! I know this is a year old but I've come across this and I can't help but comment. I hope some of O. H. Mowers disappointed customers are still on here and get this message as I am the girl who works in the office. I know we messed up (I am in no way disputing it was inadequate service) but I do hope to try and explain and apologise!

First off, I may be biased, but OH Mowers is a great company. And I really mean it, I wouldn't work anywhere else. We all care about the business and customers so much (why else would I be writing this hey) and I do believe that the majority of our customers are overjoyed with our service. This time last year, we lost our main mechanic. He had been with us since the beginning and we had been left with just an apprentice, who bless him tried his best, but without the experience there was no way he could do all of the jobs that Tal (The chap who left) was doing. So alongside everything he usually did (2 strokes) Oliver, the boss, was landed with everything the apprentice couldn't do too. I have to admit it was a real mess. Everybody is wanting their machinery yesterday at the busy time and we just couldn't keep up. We tried our best and turned away custom where we had to, but obviously we didn't do good enough...

We are still just a trio, me, the boss Oliver and Ty the 'apprentice'. I believe that we have got a good balance now. Oliver spends his life at work to try and get things done quickly and keep everyone happy and Ty has improved massively.

As for the 2 stroke expert I referred to. That is oliver, he really is one of the best. But at the time he was juggling way too much work to keep up and focus on what was important. We know it was bad and we're still on the look out for another member of staff but to find someone who actually cares about the company they work for and who is enthusiastic about lawn mowers is very hard!

Anyways, to cut a long story short, Oliver business is his world and he really shows that in his work. Nothing will ever be perfect but we can only try and every day isa learning curve. We actually take note of problem's and make sure we do what we can to resurrect them. I hope you all never have any problems in the future, and if you would give us another chance, come down and have a chat, we're a real friendly bunch as long as we've had our coffee!Ha ha

Thank you for listening and, sorry for our mistakes. Beth :)

I hope some of O. H. Mowers disappointed customers are still on here and get this message as I am the girl who works in the office. I know we messed up (I am in no way disputing it was inadequate service) but I do hope to try and explain and apologise!

Apology accepted! I was only getting really frustrated as my garden grass was getting ludicrously long while the mower was away! Welcome to Hereford Voice! 

Thanks for your replies guys! I hope you got your mower sorted in the end Roger?

We have learnt that it is better to have a few annoyed customers turned away than to take it all on and let everybody down!

I appreciate your kindness. Anybody on this thread is very welcome to 10%off oils and accessories as a good will gesture (sounds a bit like I'm trying to promote now lol - but just want to show were sorry)

Thanks for your replies guys! I hope you got your mower sorted in the end Roger?

It was a warped carburettor. Fixed perfectly. Still going! It was a cheap mower and when a new, similar, one is £150 and to fix an old one with service ends up as £90 odd quid you can see why people just sling them!   :tongue_32:

Well I'm glad to hear it is going well now! 

That's the thing, it's a fine line between suggesting someone just replaces their mower or gets theirs going.. Personally, I'd probably buy cheap mowers and replace them rather than a decent one and keep it maintained. But then again, it'd probably be so rubbish that I'd end up throwing it out of a window and doing what others suggest and get a goat. haha

Services do work mind, we put a lot into them, sounds like a lot of money (£56) but to clean everything, clean the fuel system and carb, replace parts, sharpen blade, change oil etc etc, it does makes a huge difference, but is it worth it on a £90 mower?? We will never suggest repairs on a machine if we think it will outweigh the cost of a new machine, but a decent mower is usually more! :)

I Never thought I'd put so much thought into blinking lawn mowers!!  :Grin: