Hereford - Late Food Application

Colin James

I will be interested to see the outcome of this application...

buttery.jpg-pwrt2.jpg

photo courtesy of the HT

Taken from this article in the HT

THE owner of a sandwich shop in Hereford city centre wants to stay open until 2.30am. Susan Barrow says keeping The Buttery trading until the early hours is the only way to ensure the business will survive.

The 54-year-old says she has lost about £700 a week since nearby council offices, including Garrick House, closed.

Initially she is asking Herefordshire Council’s Licensing department for permission to open the Maylord Street shop on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights but, if the move proves a hit, she hopes to extend it to late night Sundays and Bank Holidays too.

“The reason I have applied is because without it I know I won’t make another winter,” said Mrs Barrow. “I’m finding there is too much food around the town. “Also, when I took over about two years ago, I also had the council offices nearby.

“But they have now moved to Plough Lane. “We’ve had a rough time since. I don’t really want to do this but I have no choice.”

She says her small team of staff “don’t mind” the proposals, saying they enjoy working at The Buttery, which has been trading for more than 20 years.

The shop would sell a similar range of cold food to that on offer in the daytime, including sandwiches and baguettes.

The application does not cover hot food which is subject to an early morning curfew in parts of the city centre.

Mrs Barrow said licensed door staff will be provided at The Buttery.

The evening opening hours, should they be approved, would be from 11.30pm to 2.30am from Thursday to Saturday.

I wish her luck with her application as HV have been fighting to allow traders to be able to stay open longer, offering 'hot food' during the early hours in this popular topic but this is a separate application as no hot food is being offered, nevertheless, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

As the council in this county are full of old or the older generation should I say I doubt whether this lady will get her application, for in the minds of the out of touch council anyone staying out to 2am or later are evil and must be up to no good, is it to much to ask for Hereford to join the 20th century, I know we are in the 21st but Hereford is at least a century behind.

"The shop would sell a similar range of cold food to that on offer in the daytime, including sandwiches and baguettes."

Perhaps as she only intends to provide cold snacks, it may be approved??

I like The Buttery.... they are generous with their fillings, and never bat an eye at some of my quirky combinations!

As the council in this county are full of old or the older generation should I say I doubt whether this lady will get her application, for in the minds of the out of touch council anyone staying out to 2am or later are evil and must be up to no good, is it to much to ask for Hereford to join the 20th century, I know we are in the 21st but Hereford is at least a century behind.

I could not of worded any better Jim, you have hit the nail on the head.   :Thumbs-Up: You never know though as no hot food is involved here and we all know that hot food makes people more aggressive and more inclined to be up to no good! lol  :Kissy:

The Council don't give out these late night food licences very easily. Certainly not 02.30 ones. And they are very hot on the 'four licensing objectives'. Below is how the applicant is anticipating how rigorously the Council will look at this application in that respect. The 'security' at the shop is a bit vague but I'm assuming it's going to be one SIA approved guard. No mention of how any extra litter will be dealt with at, and near, the shop. No mention of CCTV. I wouldn't expect the Council to nod through a 02.30 licence based on the written evidence on their website. It would set a precedent for other shops/outlets to submit poor applications and get approved.

Buttery1.jpg

Buttery Licensing Application

I wish her luck with her application as HV have been fighting to allow traders to be able to stay open longer, offering 'hot food' during the early hours in this popular topic but this is a separate application as no hot food is being offered

If no hot food is being offered then you don't need a licence ... Has this been confirmed that the venue only wants to sell 'cold' items? The only point of going thru the Council hoops for 23.00 - 05.00 trading is if you want to sell stuff over the ambient air temperature .... 

If she fails the application then she can get round the rules by installing a hired vending machine for hot drinks inside the premises (operated by coins by the buyer) and cutting out any hot items like steak baguettes or warmed up pies/pasties .... 

The important fact to consider here tho is people like 'hot' food at the end of a night out ... Not a cress sandwich .... 

The hoops are not the councils - they are the law of the land.

Ms Barrow does not want to sell hot food - her choice and decision. She has been advised that she does not need a licence to sell cold food - application withdrawn. She can stay open 24/7 if she chooses but can only sell cold food between 11pm an 5pm. Not the councils rules - its the law of the land, put in place by law makers and MP's who were elected by the likes of you and I - democratic decision....

The hoops are not the councils - they are the law of the land.

Ms Barrow does not want to sell hot food - her choice and decision. She has been advised that she does not need a licence to sell cold food - application withdrawn. She can stay open 24/7 if she chooses but can only sell cold food between 11pm an 5pm. Not the councils rules - its the law of the land, put in place by law makers and MP's who were elected by the likes of you and I - democratic decision....

Between 11pm and 5pm? do you mean 11am-5pm? I am confused here, if no licence is required she can stay open 24/7 yes? As for law makers, I have no problem with requiring a licence to sell HOT FOOD but its the LOCAL COUNCIL that have in the past refused trading in Hereford after 0130 hours, I will not be voting this council in again for sure. 

My mistake - problem with typing and not wearing my specs...

Late night refreshment is 2300hrs (11pm) to 0500hrs (5am).  That is the only time that a licence for food is required.

Incidentially I am aware of a number of venues who want to extend their hours to sell hot food, I also know they have been given good support advice and guidance on how to go about it - this advice and guidance if followed will not doubt satisfy the police.. I am also aware of one place who sells cold food late at night, who want to sell hot food - they I know have been given the same positive advice

However as at this time NO-ONE has actually stepped up to the mark and made an application.

Remember the city centre is covered by a special licensing policy due to the concentration of licensed premises etc (look up S182 Licensing Act 2003 guidance to get a better understanding).  This basically means that applicants have to show how they will promote the licensing objectives and not undermine this policy - ask the various venues who have either been granted later hours or a new licence for details. 

It is not an impossible task to get a later licence...

Ms Barrow does not want to sell hot food - her choice and decision. She has been advised that she does not need a licence to sell cold food - application withdrawn. 

That'll save her quite a bit. No need to sort out potential extra litter and no need for that costly guard she said she was getting. 

Remember the city centre is covered by a special licensing policy due to the concentration of licensed premises etc 

That has been discussed a fair bit in a different thread. I don't think we got to the bottom of whether the CIZ has been expanded yet or not. The map has been posted a couple of times about the proposed new area but has it been ratified? 

The CIZ is part of the councils Licensing Policy. 

The new policy with the new extended CIZ has been approved. 

The policy is now valid for 5 years (previously 3 years).  Limited public and trade representation was made during the consultation period - no-one made any representation about the CIZ. (Wait for the shout I didn't know about it.....)

I have checked the council website.  The new policy has not been placed on the website - the draft policy is available to view - towards the back is the CIZ section with the mapped zone that was requested and has been approved as the area covered by the CIZ.

My mistake - problem with typing and not wearing my specs...

Late night refreshment is 2300hrs (11pm) to 0500hrs (5am).  That is the only time that a licence for food is required.

Incidentially I am aware of a number of venues who want to extend their hours to sell hot food, I also know they have been given good support advice and guidance on how to go about it - this advice and guidance if followed will not doubt satisfy the police.. I am also aware of one place who sells cold food late at night, who want to sell hot food - they I know have been given the same positive advice

However as at this time NO-ONE has actually stepped up to the mark and made an application.

Remember the city centre is covered by a special licensing policy due to the concentration of licensed premises etc (look up S182 Licensing Act 2003 guidance to get a better understanding).  This basically means that applicants have to show how they will promote the licensing objectives and not undermine this policy - ask the various venues who have either been granted later hours or a new licence for details. 

It is not an impossible task to get a later licence...

Thank you for all of this information, they don't make it easy though do they, the emfasis appears to be weighted towards being refused, Hereford is stuck in the middle ages with miserable old buggers running the show unfortunately.  

Thank you for all of this information, they don't make it easy though do they, the emfasis appears to be weighted towards being refused, Hereford is stuck in the middle ages with miserable old buggers running the show unfortunately.  

I cannot say that I disagree with you, the sooner this council is removed the better, we need fresh ideas from younger people, its no wonder the city is dying.

• 2 weeks later...