Refurbishments

flamboyant

Question from Councillor WLS Bowen

Question 8

Accommodation Strategy

Can the Cabinet Member please confirm:

a) What is the total cost of refurbishing the Shire Hall for the use of Herefordshire Council?

b) What will be the total cost of refurbishing the Plough Lane site?

c) What is the expected receipt from the sale of Brockington?

d) How much has been spent on Hereford Town Hall?

e) If the Shire Hall received a new, energy efficient heating system.

Answer to question 8

a) The works are not fully complete, current forecast total scheme spend is to budget being £2.8m

b) The works are not fully complete, current forecast total scheme spend is to budget being £4m

c) £1.5m. It should also be noted that there will be significant revenue savings generated by moving operations from this building.

d) The Town Hall is not scheduled for refurbishment within the current accommodation strategy.

e) The refurbished area is now served by two new highly efficient condensing boilers. The rest of the Shire Hall remains serviced by existing boilers which will be upgraded in future phases.

Answer to question 8

c) £1.5m. It should also be noted that there will be significant revenue savings generated by moving operations from this building.

Interesting they say they will make significant savings on moving buildings how will they do that after spending nearly £3 million on the shire hall? council maths at work again is it???!!!

I knew Cllr Bowen (Independent Cllr)  was going to ask the questions,  he the chairman of the general overview and scrutiny committee so possibly why they gave him the answer. considering the size of Brockington I do not think they are asking enough for it the original building was two separate properties and the ground it stands on is massive although people are not aware of it the building stands in the middle of the plot of ground, there is equally as much ground at the back as is visible in the front. It used to be the police head quarters for many years.

I think AV is correct about the covenants attached to Brockington.  But the thing I find utterly sickening about this scandal - for let's not mince words, folks, it's a scandal - is that these jokers, these no-hopers, these paper-pushers who can't even co-ordinate a new rubbish collection service - feel entitled to spend £6.8-million on themselves!

Am I right in thinking that the Council get an estimated £1.5M from selling Brockington and have to spend £2.8M doing up the Shire Hall to move there? How long will it take to recoup the £1.3M difference with the revenue savings they hope to make by losing Brockington? 

Tut tut, Roger!

Oh ye of little faith! Those two new energy efficient -sorry, HIGHLY efficient - condensing heating systems will save a penny or two! It's all been money well spent on this most deserving of groups, I'm sure............!!

Meanwhile, back in the real world........

Its not clear that those costs include consultants, in which case they probably don't, in which case add a further 20% - £1.66m.

How 'significant' can those revenue savings generated by moving operations from Brockington be? Smells like bs to me, something we're very familiar with where council costs are concerned.