Bang on Target - Shops raided AGAIN

Biomech

"Hereford Magistrates heard that the haul of non-duty paid, smuggled, and fake foreign labelled cigarettes seized at European Fresh Foods, Eign Gate, was worth around £13,000 at street value."

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11572114.Thousands_of_illegal_cigarettes_found_secreted_in_a_Hereford_shop/

And, of course, I draw your attention to these threads; Here and this one Here

There may well be mitigating circumstances as to why the punishment appears ( to me ) quite low - suggests to me that the punishment does not send out a warning to these type of shops sell illegal goods to stop .

I agree ... 80 hours of unpaid work won't be a litter pick up the A49 ... He did get some suspended prison tho ... Which is more than the fella from the Zabka shop on the other link. He was up for a second offence and got no prison ... Suspended or otherwise ... All seems a bit random what they hand out at the Court ... 

There may well be mitigating circumstances as to why the punishment appears ( to me ) quite low - suggests to me that the punishment does not send out a warning to these type of shops sell illegal goods to stop .

Morning Ubique,

You are right, as usual. The age old concept of 'Does the punishment fit the crime?' (See The Mikado by Gilbert & Sullivan) is at play here. Shops are commercial ventures, based on profit and loss. If the commercial imperative of making 'bad' money is not countered by a meaningful consequence for 'bad' behaviour, then we will never address this problem conclusively. That's why I'm pressing Megilleland to expand on his earlier post - is there a 'three strikes and out' consequence available in these matters?

I think you will find that the court case highlighted refers to the 2nd link and this was not another raid.

No Colin, this is yet another one, the one in your "2nd link" refers to the raid on "Zabka", this new one is for "European Fresh Foods".

I'm not sure where the "polish" part comes/came into it though

No Colin, this is yet another one, the one in your "2nd link" refers to the raid on "Zabka", this new one is for "European Fresh Foods".

I'm not sure where the "polish" part comes/came into it though

Sorry, I did not realise, so this is a 3rd raid!! The Polish connection is that virtually everyone I speak with about this says 'oh yeah Polish people', when in fact most of the European shops are run by people who are from a different country altogether, Zabka for example the owner is from Iraq.

• 3 weeks later...

26 November 2014

Share on pinterest_share
FROM THE COUNCIL NEWS

A sophisticated system for hiding illicit tobacco has been uncovered by a quick thinking trading standards enforcement officer at Herefordshire Council.

The council’s trading standards team took a case against Mr Kursheed Kadir, proprietor of Zabka at 16 Eign Gate in Hereford to Hereford Magistrates Court on Tuesday 25 November, where Mr Kadir was sentenced to 12 weeks imprisonment, suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to undertake 150 hours unpaid work and to pay costs of £1,118 for supplying illicit tobacco.

The court heard that Mr Kadir, who took over the business last June, was caught in the act of selling illicit cigarettes on 4 July by a council officer who was visiting the premises in respect of an unconnected matter. Council officers then inspected the premises, but were unable to locate where the illicit product was being secretly stored.

On 29 July, with assistance from West Mercia Police, a warrant was executed at the premises and Mr Kadir’s sophisticated system of hiding the illicit tobacco was uncovered. Officers found that a wireless doorbell system was being used to alert staff located on the top floor of the premises, so that they could quickly move the illicit tobacco onto the flat roof of an adjoining building.

A 60cm wide opening had been made in a solid brick exterior wall, so that custom made trays of illicit cigarettes and counterfeit hand rolling tobacco could be pushed through the hole in a matter of seconds. The opening was then hidden behind skirting boards and shelving, so that officers would not be suspicious when they inspected the room. However, due to the quick reactions of a trading standards enforcement officer at the start of the raid and despite being hampered by staff, the officer was able to catch the staff in the middle of sliding the illicit tobacco onto the roof.

Mike Pigrem, head of trading standards and licensing, said “Illegal tobacco has strong links with crime and criminal gangs, so many of the people smuggling, distributing and selling it are involved in drug dealing, money laundering and people trafficking. Selling illegal tobacco is a crime and the council’s trading standards team is doing all within its powers to tackle this growing menace and potential health ‘time bomb’ within the county.â€

Patricia Morgan, Cabinet member for corporate services, said: “The council fully supports trading standards and the police in cracking down on the illegal tobacco trade in our county. Peoples’ health is at risk, as children and young people are often targeted by those who sell illegal cigarettes, making it even easier for them to get hooked on smoking. Cheap cigarettes also make it harder for people to quit and remain smoke free.â€
If you have any information on people dealing illegal tobacco products, please contact trading standards on 01432 261761.

I'm losing track of whats going on at this Zabka shop ... Ali Omar Shukir had it in January and was up in Court for the same tobacco type charge in August. He got 300 hours unpaid work.

This Kursheed Kadir fella seems to have then owned it from June. Subject of this latest case.

But the application for an alcohol license (mentioned on the Zabka thread) is in the name of the latest owner called Zardashit Karem SALH.

There's probably a 'Mr. Big' behind this shop and new managers/owners are slid in as and when required. There's been at least three in 10 months.

Just seems to be a front for organised crime. 

Slightly off post ...but relevant ............when somebody receives 300 hours Community Service = to 7.5 weeks work for an average paid worker I do wonder what they do and how long it's going to take to complete - Roger - advice please.....? Thank you

I'm not sure to be honest. But I seem to think it has to be completed within 12 months. It's more a probation thing which I've never got involved with ...

6. APPLICATION FOR GRANT OF A PREMISES LICENCE IN RESPECT OF ZABKA, 16 EIGN GATE, HEREFORD, HR4 0AB - LICENSING ACT 2003

To consider an application for the grant of a premises licence in respect of Zabka,16Eign Gate, Hereford, HR4 0AB

Additional documents:

• 2 weeks later...

This really isn't good enough.

It isn't much of a stretch for anybodys imagination, to think a shop which has sold dodgy cigarettes, may well sell dodgy alcohol, and the repercussions for someone who consumes this could be very serious.

I am disappointed in this decision, to put it mildly.

Well, they're still at it. They were at it just a couple of days ago. They're selling loads of long and thin Russian cigarettes. Ghastly looking things. Mind, they've been disrupted by the Trading Standards. Now, they do not keep the contraband on the premises. According to my source, they use a near bye house or shop.

The talk in the battle cruiser, which invariably is right, is that this particular shop up Eign Gate is the least of our problems. One shop, a few hundred yards away, is far more organised and prolific and yet they ain't getting done. The conclusion amongst the drunken fools that I mingle with is they are cooperating and getting rid of the competition.

And if this is right, and nobody will confirm or deny it because they can't, it'll be interesting to see how this game of poker ends for all of them who are robbing my Country of its wealth.