Decision notice. The Bullying of Disabled Council Staff

WirralPC

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this because......

There was a rumour,which Glenda confirmed was true, that frontline staff were being made form The Customer Services Department, where all this stemmed.

Now, there is another rumour, that a new management post has been created within this same department, which will also be at the cost of more front line staff.

A couple of questions.

Is any councillor keeping a careful eye on which members of staff the axe will fall?? I have asked this previously in post 84 and 88, but did not get a response.

Why is yet another management role being created, and at what cost??

Thanks Dippy !  But I have a horrible feeling that Herefordshire's elected members are to varying degrees...

o sidelined and removed neatly from the picture

o too embarrassed to admit they've been left looking foolish

o too ashamed to admit they've failed these vulnerable employees

o wanting all the bad news to go away

o busily concentrating on filling out expenses and claim forms

o complicit in unseen dodgy deals with senior officers and scared of their "contribution" being exposed

So I'd be very surprised if any of them have the courage to be free and frank with their public.

I can be annoyingly persistent sometimes, Paul! I shall keep bumping this thread, until someone decides to answer!!

These looming redundancies in Customer Services, need to be kept a careful eye on. The creation of a highly paid role within the same department needs an explanation.

During this restructure not 1 single person above front line staff lost their job and now we hear they've created a new post! This is and has always been the norm for Geoff Hughes Directorate. No amount of exposure or complaining will ever prevent this from happening. Two front line members of staff will lose their jobs to pay for this new post which they will label essential for what they are calling the new model of delivery aimed at saving the tax payer money and delivering better services!

Plough Lane is fast becoming the playground of the suits, this is where they all gather to lunch and pat each other on the back for delivering us from doom! The previous IT scandal which resulted in the Crookall Report is a joke by comparison!

Has anyone seen the Chief Exec of Herefordshire Council? I think he's done a Lucan! Or perhaps he's been working from home it is a long way to travel after all.

And as with all these things, this'll gradually disappear, nothing will bloody change, it may as well have never been reported on and nobody will ever know just exactly what our elected leaders ever bloody did to try and put right the wrongs of this tragic episode in recent Public service history.

Stick their heads in the sand, close their minds to anything that'll create any unpleasant friction, hear and say buggar all and pretend to themselves it never bloody happened. This is the way of things. Nobody ever bloody learns and round and round we go stumbling from one steaming cow pat to another.

The best that we can hope for? Some new suit comes in, replaces the bloody invisible man Alistair Neill and he says, 'lessons have been learned and I apologise for all the hurt that was caused', knowing full bloody well that it was never anything to do with him, nowt will land on his head and he goes home looking like some holier than bloody thou Saint. Theyre all cut from the same cloth.

I know this, if I was a Councillor Id never let go of my grip. I wouldn't bloody stop. I ain't just saying it, I know that I would never stop. In fact, even when it was all resolved and all parties involved in this chain of events were satisfied that it had been properly resolved, still, even then Id moan about it. So, why can't our elected leaders do the same thing? Why haven't they got enough fire in their bellies to grasp this rotten stinging nettle and shake the establishment up and gain some respect and admiration.

They won't! They won't because they don't care enough and like most nowadays, they can't be bloody bothered!

We are directing our anger at the wrong opponent, we must try and remember our elected members are not required to know! Staff issues are purely the responsibility of the Cheif Executive. Elected representatives only rubber stamp proposals to cut front line staff!

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11503917.Herefordshire_Council___political_leaders__not_required__to_know_of_bullying_allegations_and_related_settlements/

In The Guardian 22nd November 2014 by Andrew Smith

Whistleblowers speak out because they feel they have to, often at great personal cost. But years later, do they think it was worth it?

Who are the whistleblowers, and what makes them do it when most of us don’t? The Hollywood-created image is of the awkward outsider; brave, but destined for maverick isolation anyway. In short, not like us. But most of the people I meet in the course of writing this article are essentially conservative. They spoke out because they felt they had to. The real story lies in what happened next. (read on)

As one person who made a comment about the article said: "What a bunch of sh!ts we humans can be".

In The Guardian 22nd November 2014 by Andrew Smith

As one person who made a comment about the article said: "What a bunch of sh!ts we humans can be".

I would have liked to comment on this article, but got banned after I dissented 18 months ago - even though dissent is not an offence in the Guardian's open forum guidelines.

http://wirralinittogether.wordpress.com/2013/05/31/how-to-be-moderated-out-censored-prevented-from-contributing-to-the-guardian-open-forum/

Fantastic article Megilleland well spotted!

Paul I totally identify with your list, which from what I have heard and read seems to be the norm.

Whistleblowers don't speak out because they are going to get anything from it, they speak out because it's usually the right thing to do. It's usually people with an in-bread moral code or a strong sense or right and wrong. I would add that the mangers you accuse are usually told of your complaints well before any investigation takes place and your name and accusations are not kept confidential they are passed around the organisation. The other thing to remember is no one will thank you for it, you will be shunned by people you believed to be good people, who believed as you did.

I suspect any Councillor who did take up the challenge to look into this saga was told a pack of lies which they swallowed hook line and sinker! I could be wrong, when the truth comes out and trust me it always does, if that is the case I hope they remember.

What a brilliant report. Well written, and it truly captures how life changing whistle blowing can be for individuals.

Michale Paduano, the Midlands Today reporter, has done several stories on the Coventry cardiologist. Lets hope he is not soon reporting on a Herefordshire whistleblowing scandal.

Councillors could do with being emailed this report - perhaps then, they would have a better understanding of the effect this has on peoples' lives, and rather than saying we don't need to know, they could start shouting, We HAVE to know.

I am still waiting patiently for a response from any councillor about my previous questions.

I'll give it a little while longer.....then I shall start pm'ing them.......draw it to their attention!!!

Well Dippy, I fear that your plea for an answer and your failure to get one probably, more than anything, illustrates just why bullying within the Council is allowed to flourish. Why would they worry? If I knew my political masters wouldn't 'go to war' over it and I was a bully Id probably feel comfortable knowing that nothing would happen to me because nobody cared enough.

Hi Bobby.

Depressing isn't it??

However! I am not going to stop asking awkward questions just yet!

A look at the members list, tells me there are several councillors registered to this forum. I intend to message them all individually.

Have they all forgotten that elections are looming??

Are they not bothered about the outcome of this whole sorry saga??

I don't know - but if they don't respond to my politely worded request, then I guess I shall have the answer to that question at least.

Hi Chris, firstly - thanks so much for your reply, but.......

Yes, you have forgotten that elections are looming, and No you are not bothered???Surely that can't be right, Chris???(That's a weak attempt at humour, by the way - I do realise you meant it the other way around!)

Can you elaborate on your thoughts??

As the ONLY councillor who has grasped hold of this series of questions, I would really love to hear just a little bit more......please??????

I can see you are still  logged on to this page.....could I just get that assurance???

I intend to ask other Councillors  the same question! I honestly feel that the more who are taking an active interest in the outcome of this, the better.

Another thought......were you answering the questions from my post(225)??

In which case your answers would tally up as.....

Yes.....councillors are keeping a careful eye.

No.......the staff involved have not been made redundant.(Which would be brilliant news!!)

Could you just clarify????

Hi, Yes I am keeping an eye on where the redundancies are being made. I meet regularly with Unison to discuss these and similar matters and No I am not aware of any of the 'Bullied' being made redundant. Councillors would not normally be told who or where the redundancies are made. This might be reported to the Group Leaders at their regular meetings with the CE, but other wise Councillors would not formally be told. A friend of mine, who I knew when she and I were in our teens, only told me she had been made redundant three weeks after she had left her job.

I know bloggers think we should be more on top of this but it is difficult and there are other things we need to do. The union are best placed to monitor what happens and I rely on them to keep me informed.

This week I have tried to help an elderly lady with her husbands probate. Sorting out a manhole cover that has fallen in at a house on a new estate. Attended for four hours the Call-In for the by-pass then went straight across the road to attend the City Council meeting. Visited Hinton Community Centre to congratulate the great work going on there with the boxing which is giving so many young people an opportunity to feel worth while. Visited a 97 year old constituent to check she is warm enough and done one of my regular visits to the Academy where I am a governor. Read several notes of meetings, had a compliant and been asked for assistance about a planning matter. Done one of my walking inspections of my part of my Ward.

And it's only Thursday morning! I will worry about the election when it gets nearer, if folk want me to continue they will get the opportunity on May 7th.

No reason other than to highlight the staff we know have been bullied as opposed to those that may have been but not aware of! Have friends who say that there may have been bullying in a department/office, but I have to deal with facts and unless evidence is brought to me it is difficult to know for sure!

Hope the Wirral is a little warmer than Herefordshire this morning.

Hey Dippy , at least one Cllr has put his head above the parapet - just - .

I just get the feeling that if this allegation is not covered in the Cllrs Job Description it's nowt to do with them - and that is so wrong .

Was going to write more but some might say that I was having a rant - I will leave that to my friends who can rant better than I .

No reason other than to highlight the staff we know have been bullied as opposed to those that may have been but not aware of! Have friends who say that there may have been bullying in a department/office, but I have to deal with facts and unless evidence is brought to me it is difficult to know for sure!

Hope the Wirral is a little warmer than Herefordshire this morning.

Perishing !

Would freeze the spherical objects off a primate composed of metal and zinc.

Hi Chris,thanks so much for clarifying that, and being the ONLY councillor to respond!

I truly do appreciate it!

I shall still pm other councillors, as I do believe that this whole situation does require monitoring closely.

It sounds as if you have had a very busy week!

Once again,thankyou!

Hi Chris, it's me again!

Just a thought, but I will be cheeky and pick your brain!

I posted a few days ago, that there is talk of a new management role being created in this department, have Unison offered up any view on this development to you, seeing as how some of their members may still be facing the chop?? I realise you may not be privy to this, and if so - no worries, but as they say, if you don't ask you won't know!

Sorry to lumber you with even more questions, but at the moment, it seems you are the only Councillor willing to talk to me!!

(Note to self......put Chris on the Xmas card list!!)

Many thanks for your time......and I hope your weekend is more relaxed than your weeks been!

There was an episode of Father Ted in which Father Jack (the old, brain addled alcoholic one) was going to have to speak to some bishops.   Ted, with great difficulty taught him two replies to use to questions.  The first was "Yes" and the second was:

"That would be an ecumenical matter".  

It worked because it sounded right in most situations.  (you can google it on youtube).

I always think of this when any councillors try to deflect criticism over the bullying (and the customer services aren't the only department to suffer) by claiming it's not their job or responsibility to know what is happening.  They say:

"That would be an employment matter".