Decision notice. The Bullying of Disabled Council Staff

WirralPC

I thought you were gunning for me earlier Bobby.

Imagine the waves of relief washing over me, as I scanned down the page, and the penny dropped that it's Bad Bill Norman still in your sights.

I hope you have your day in the ring with him, cos my money's on you, sir.

It'll be like a rematch between Jack Bodell and Sir Kenneth Clark.

Bill's quotes from the bard, and rapid fire rhyming couplets will be as nothing in the face of your stinging left jabs and vicious right uppercuts.

There'll be blood all over the canvas and none of it yours.

When I made a complaint to the Council about an ill thought through road upgrade guess who backed each other up on the openness and transparency of the venture? Yes, this little clique - all of whom were suspended on full pay, all of whom were cleared with “no case to answerâ€, all of whom were in key posts, but were able to be made redundant through an amazingly well timed structural reorganisation and all of whom carried off the pay offs as quoted by Paul Cardin.

Deputy CEO Ian Coleman – paid £86,000

Director of Law Bill Norman – paid £146,000

CEO Jim Wilkie - paid £111,054

Director of Technical Services David Green – paid £103,000

Deputy Director of Finance David Taylor Smith – paid £68,000

Bloody Bill bloody Norman. One hundred and forty six thousand bloody pounds. Good grief! Course, last night I had a spot of the usual didnt I. We were laid in bed watching a late edition of Pointless. It's her favourite programme isn't it. Every bloody day we sit there and everyday she says, 'I hope there's a question on spices. Im good on spices'. Course that is the only bloody area of humankind and our affect upon the planet this woman knows anything about. Bloody spices!

Anyway she was nibbling on a custard slice and waiting for the question whilst I was feasting upon my nose bag that contained a kilo of Cornish Clams, when Alexander Armstrong posed the question that related to interesting facts about the peanut.

When I saw the option that mentioned a former American President who used to grow and harvest the bloody peanut, I started gibbering, 'Jimmy! Jimmy! Jimmy as my addled brain searched for the surname Carter. Course she shouts, 'Tarbuck'. I said, 'bloody hell where did that come from'. Then, clearly cognisant that Jimmy Tarbuck never entered the political arena of American politics, she shouts, 'Jimmy Connors'. I said, ' he's a bloody former Tennis player. Let me bloody think'!

Course it was all interrupted wasn't it! All of a sudden there was a tap, tap, tap on the window. I thought, 'Odd that! Tap, tap, tap on the window and here's us holed up on the fifteenth floor'. She says, ' I wonder who that is. Have you any idea'. I said, 'bloody hell! Im as much in the dark as you are. I've no idea who it is'. Course, despite her saying lets ignore it, I was more curious. I mean living on the fifteenth floor two bloody hundred feet up in the air and there's a tap, tap, tap on your window, you'd be an odd sort if you chose to ignore it. I was interested. I wanted to know who it was that was outside two hundred feet up in the air tapping on my window.

Anyway, I hung me nose bag up on the hook I call me hook for hanging me nose bag on, got out of bed, pulled back the newspapers that blocked out the windows to find Bill bloody Norman clinging on to my window sill. I said, 'Bill bloody Norman! How on earth have you climbed up to the fifteenth floor without a ladder'. He said, 'I scurried up the drainpipe with the intention of fighting you. Let me in. Im losing me grip'.

What was I supposed to do? Me on the fifteenth floor and him clinging on to my window sill. It was obvious. I said to her, 'pass me that pointy stick. That one there. The one I use to taunt the ferrets. Pass it here you sweet pudding of delight'.

Yes! I began to poke him. Gently at first and then much harder as it became clear he didn't want to experience the forces of gravity and tumble to the ground. Anyway, after beating him for several minutes and shouting, 'clear off Bill. This is a good home. A family home that places great store on being able to watch Pointless without being disturbed by a tap, tap tapping on the window' he suddenlyreleases his grip on my window sill, screams, 'Jimmy Carter' and then began his fall.

As to the outcome of the fall and not being bothered either way because I couldn't be bothered to witness the terrible hurtling toward the ground, I simply turned round, stuck the newspaper back on the glass, got into bed to hear that Jimmy Carter was the lowest answer and the next question did not relate to 'spices', which, given the circumstances was a huge disappointment to my dear wife.

It's a gift, Bobby! There is no other way to describe your offerings!

And don't you worry about cuts.....I am trained to deal with any of your first aid requirements!!

(Just message me to complete the medical history questionnaire  -  it should only take three hours of your time, and I will need an up to date list of all your prescribed medications!!!)

Just to dot the i's and cross the t's.....could you also sign a disclaimer form???

Only to say that you are happy to be treated by someone with my questionable and limited skills.......after the last "incident" I have been advised this is now a must.

A gift Dippy? Well you could argue that its a curse. To be so full of sh.it and be able to articulate it is extremely strange isn't it. Me? I wouldn't call it a gift at all. Far from it. It's a bag of pigswill that never ever empties and I never get any peace from it. It's a relentless conveyor belt of complete and utter boll.ocks and I'd sooner be without it thank you very much!

If Bill Norman has fallen to the floor below Bobby’s apartment and is lying there in a daze dreaming of £ signs could someone toss a load of cement over him and turn him into a second Hereford statue then move him to a position outside Hereford Station where he could for ever more watch the gravy trains come in and go out, his punishment being that he could no longer board one. 

Whilst pertaining to statues I loved the piece about the Ryeland sheep statue for Leominster.  My old neighbour from Herefordshire days keeps Ryelands and we quite often helped bring the lambs into the world so I have a soft spot for them.  It is sad hippydippy that the Hereford Times closed comments after your mention of a possible statue of Smudge outside the fire station. Excellent idea, if I remember it correctly Smudge was an arsonist bunny who went rampant through the Herefordshire countryside.  He absolutely deserves a statue.

Ah Smudge!

Yes, Smudge was indeed the star of many a HT story!

Those heady days over at HT, when we had such fun!!

Random stories and even more random comments, on subjects such as an impromptu breakfast survey, when a pacamac might be needed,

and who can forget the abandoned pumpkin on the postbox??

Happy times indeed!

And the cabbage that kept sprouting in the fridge drawer– that brought a halt to my tapping for days waiting for the outcome as I thought the Triffids had finally arrived in Herefordshire.  Yes, such happy halcyon bygone days. 

(Sorry dippyhippy I became dyslexic about your name earlier.)

26 September 2014 Herfordshire Council News:

As the county prepares to meet new regulations to keep vulnerable adults safe, Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board is pleased to announce that Ivan Powell has been appointed to the post of Independent Chair of the Board.

The Herefordshire Safeguarding Adults Board (HSAB) brings together individuals and representatives from various agencies to work in partnership and develop best practice to keep vulnerable adults safe.  Herefordshire’s Safeguarding Adults Board has been up and running for some time, although its role will become more important over the coming months to meet the Care Act (2014) regulations.

Born and bred in Herefordshire, Ivan is well known throughout the county as he was formerly in a number of high profile roles with West Mercia Police.   He joined West Mercia Police in 1982 where he served in a range of roles working his way up the ranks until he eventually retired earlier this year. 

As Superintendent Head of Performance, Force Crime Manager and Commander for Herefordshire, he gained experience in child protection, domestic abuse and hate crime.  He was a member of the Health and Wellbeing Board, Community Safety Partnership and Families First Steering group, as well as chairing the multi-agency groups tackling domestic abuse and alcohol harm reduction.

Ivan is delighted to be taking up the role of Independent Chair, Safeguarding Adults Board.  He said: “I am familiar with many of the committed and professional individuals and organisations who work in the vital area of safeguarding adults across the county, but look forward to meeting and working with new colleagues too.

“The portfolio is not without its challenges.  Keeping vulnerable adults safe is everyone’s business.  I see it as my role to make sure we work effectively together to meet our commitment to the county’s most vulnerable people who need our support.  This involves keeping them safe from harm, making sure they have a voice and that they are treated with dignity.â€

With all the news of a lack of police involvement in investigating child abuse in Rotherham, Nottingham and Scotland lets hope this chap is the best appointment.

Hereford Times: Tuesday 30 September 2014 in News by Bill Tanner

Statement outlines council position on awareness of bullying allegations

HEREFORDSHIRE Council’s political leaders are “not required† to know the details of bullying cases within the authority.

The council has confirmed its stance in a statement issued more than week after the Hereford Times asked for formal responses from former council leader Cllr John Jarvis and current leader Cllr Tony Johnson as to how much they knew of bullying allegations “hushed up†by secret settlement and severance payments.

The payments were bound by confidentiality clauses meaning little detail can currently be made public.

Cllr Jarvis and Cllr Johnson did not respond in person.

Instead, the council issued a statement that reads:

“Herefordshire Council has a zero tolerance approach to bullying, whether in the work place or towards any external individual or group.  Fortunately, cases of bullying in the council are extremely rare and any allegation would be taken seriously with any substantiated claim resulting in appropriate action being taken.

In regards to any past allegation or investigation, whilst we would not comment on an individual case, such an allegation or investigation relating to a member of staff, both in 2012 and today, would be a matter for the chief executive, the monitoring officer, the head of HR and the relevant service areas senior management to address in line with council HR policies and common law.

There is no requirement for the leader of the council to be made aware of individual case details.  Equally if a member of staff left the council's employment following an investigation, whilst it is likely that the chief executive would inform the leader of such an outcome, financial and exit details in line with council policies would not normally be discussed.â€

Council group leaders have said they either had no formal - or informal briefings - on the bullying allegations or related payments made to resolve them in 2012 and 2013 or did not recall being given any indication of circumstances.

Cllr Alan Seldon, former chairman of council’s overview and scrutiny committee has said that, during his term of office, he  had “no hint†from any officer over the allegations or related payments made to resolve them in 2012 and 2013.

Nor could he  recall being given any information on the allegations or the payments by a senior councillor.

As such, the overview and scrutiny committee – intended to function as a watchdog for cabinet decisions taken in either open session or behind closed doors – was never given any opportunity to analyse and question the way the allegations were handled or resolved.

A combined total for the related pay outs is thought to run into six figures.

As reported by the Hereford Times, the council refuses to release even a ballpark figure for the payments and is backed by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) in refusing to release all but the most basic details of the allegations and resolutions. 

This ruling means  sum spent on settlement and severance payments to resolve allegations said to involve between 10 and 20 staff cannot be confirmed.

VIII. Duties in respect of the Authority’s Standards Panel, Audit and Governance Committee and the Monitoring Officer

15. The application and guidance on the application of this Code shall be a matter for the Authority and for the Authority’s Standards Panel, Audit and Governance Committee and, as appropriate, the Monitoring Officer, acting in accordance with their terms of reference.

16. Members shall co-operate, at all stages, with any investigation into their conduct by or under the authority of those persons and shall not seek to intimidate or attempt to intimidate any person who is or is likely to be a complainant, a witness or involved in the administration of any investigation or proceedings in relation to an allegation that a member has failed to comply with his or her authority’s code of conduct.

17. No Member shall lobby a member of the Authority’s Standards Panel or Audit and Governance Committee in a manner calculated or intended to influence their consideration of acomplaint of a breach of this Code otherwise than in accordance with the arrangements laid down by the Authority.

So is the Monitoring Officer acting on his own without the co-operation of council members?

Purpose of this Committee

The purpose of this Committee is to ensure the accountability and transparency of the Council’s decision making process.

The principal roles of Overview & Scrutiny Committees are to:

* Help in developing Council policy;

* Probe, investigate, test the options and ask the difficult questions before and after decisions are taken;

* Look in more detail at areas of concern which may have been raised by the Cabinet itself, by other Councillors or by members of the public;

* “call-in†decisions – this is a statutory power which gives Scrutiny Committees the right to place a decision on hold pending further scrutiny;

* Review performance of the Council; and

* Undertake external scrutiny work engaging partners and the public.

Looks like councillors should know what is going on if they are doing a proper job.

Yep,

My copy of the Eye was delivered today. First story in the Rotten Boroughs page is titled "Hereford Bull" and describes this whole sorry saga and Paul's role in exposing it.

Well done sir.

Yes well done that man

I can honestly say I've never bought a copy but I think that I will go & get this issue!

Thanks to everyone for your very kind comments. I don't think we're anywhere near the finishing line just yet.

There should be a few more twists and turns to come. I think Bill N must have packed some Wirral style "machinations" in with his luggage.

There'll be a surfeit of sore heads. All energy that is created cannot be destroyed and we'll see where the havoc is wreaked as they play themselves out.