WARNING - Belmont Pools

Glenda Powell

I have received the following information this afternoon in regard to Belmont Pools.

To The service delivery client team.

Please can you arrange for Belfour Beatty Living Places to erect appropriate warning signs around Belmont Pools. Please DO NOT allow dogs or children to enter the water  or swim, due to potentially toxic blue/green algae ( cyanobacteria) . As the pools are already part of their pos management area I believe this should be part of existing budget.

James Bisset

Parks and coutrside

Herefordshire Council.

post-109-0-90525600-1402640670_thumb.jpg

I have already notified people living round the pools of this information, also a group of dog walkers, from Belmont and Newton Farm also the Angling Club has been advised this afternoon. This algae has only been found when I asked the environmental health to go to the pools, the algae has only just appeared on the pools surface, and the Parks and countryside officer has informed me today. Glenda

Well done Glenda, for getting them up there for a look!

Referring back to your last comment on the previous thread about this, I note in the statement you received, and shared with us, that it states the environmental agency do not routinely check the water.

Perhaps they should??

If this isn't linked to the spate of incidents of dogs being poisoned, then it would appear that there have been two serious hazards to health in the past couple of weeks alone??

It is linked to the dogs dying one of the girls whose dog died contacted the Envroment agency about what was happening and there was apost in the Hereford times about it .Lets hope they do a follow on story about the Blue Algae and every one on here tell people to stay away.

The dog walkers that were round the pools  were warned today by the Angling club members who were there, the people told them they always let their dogs drink from the water and they should mind their own business. So if any dogs get sick by their owners letting them go into the water the owners are to be held responsible THEY HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

They were asked today to put the signs up ASAP, when I went up there this afternoon I did not see any signs,I will go there again on Monday if they are not up I will be getting in touch with BB. As I said earlier the Angling members were telling people while I was there, thats when I heard the dog owners response by saying mind your own business!

I see.

Well, let's hope that no dog or child is harmed over the weekend.

I would have thought getting the warning signs erected as soon as possible, would be a priority??

Particularly given the recent coverage of events.

Colin, hope you enjoyed your holiday in Corfu.  To answer your question to the puppy that died, the vet who did the autopsy on the puppy said his finding were inconclusive. but the owner did say the puppy had drank the water. The algae is very visible it looks like white scum we saw it on Tuesday when I was up there with three residents and the HT, the story and my statement is in this weeks edition. I have asked for bigger warning signs as I do not feel they are big enough, also I want a sign from newton farm direction, Haywood Lane and Westholme road. the signs that are there was put up at 7.30am on Tuesday morning.

Useful easy to read information here:

This Water Talk document covers a wide range of topics related to cyanobacteria, their toxins, and your health:

Background

Effects on humans and animals

Drinking water

Dialysis patients

Recreational water

Fish consumption

Blue-green algal products

twowheelsgood - that is why I have asked for more appropriate signs to be efected.

Ragwert - the Pools at Belmont have never been classed as a pond, they are pools they are deeper than people think and years ago they were surounded by a wood with wild bluebells and primroses. The pools and wood was privately owned.

twowheelsgood - that is why I have asked for more appropriate signs to be efected.

Ragwert - the Pools at Belmont have never been classed as a pond, they are pools they are deeper than people think and years ago they were surounded by a wood with wild bluebells and primroses. The pools and wood was privately owned.

Always known them as pools though the definition of a pool is a body of still water.Belmont pools are part of a brook that ends up in the Wye.

I know someone who was going to buy the pools quite some years ago.I think they are owned by the Welsh club or were

Also anyone know if this algae been tested as not all blue green algae are toxic?

The algae at the pools was found to be toxic when I asked the Environment Agency to test the pools, as the signs  tell you, it is not present all the time it periodically arrives with hot weather, and will go away again when the weather gets colder. see my story in this weeks HT, page 5.

On my ward walkabout I went to the Pools this afternoon and was amazed to see people still taking their dog for walks around the pools without a lead on! when I told them about the danger and the algae they just said yes I know.That to me is irresponsible dog owners by their actions.

• 4 years later...

Can I just inform everyone that this issue has now been resolved. I have been asked many times in the past few month “is it safe for your dog to be swimming in there?” 

Well he has been swimming in the lake for months and he’s fit as a fiddle with no adverse effects. 

Wildlife is teaming, the water is clear and flowing well. The swans have 7 signets and are fully aware of the dogs!! They held back the signets whilst my Max swam to his stick and then turned back to shore, then proceeded no issues. However they do approach the shore for expected feeding from humans and do like to hiss at the dogs- so beware and move on!! 

If you see the outflow blocked with debris please clear it!! It really is lovely around there now. 

Perhaps signs should be placed stating it is safe to swim in!! 

D9CDAC58-5E75-4B98-95FD-0C913C5CFAD1.jpeg