A New Free Cashpoint

Colin James

I noticed today, that the telephone box at the back of the Butter Market looked like it was being removed and a new cashpoint machine (free withdraws) was being installed. I am surprised that a cashpoint is only just being installed now in this area, long overdue.

cashpointhereford.png

Even on a damp day like this it shows that a redbrick building can be attractive (except for the green roller door) - Thanks for alerting me to what is in front of my nose.  I really should look up and around me more often rather than scurrying along in a hurry - I had never really noticed what the building looked like from that side.  Shame that the new Debenhams couldn't have the same kind of detail and texture in its large brick walls.  No doubt the city fathers will ensure the new cashpoint is place in an unobtrusive and sensitive way.

The cash point at LLoyds is one minutes walk away. I never really perceived an issue in that area ... Similar to the relatively new cashpoint outside Beddards ... If it wasn't there you could walk to the Nationwide/Halifax one minute away ... But walking has gone out of fashion! But it's another opportunity I suppose to draw out cash that you can't really afford to spend! 

There has never been a cashpoint this side of the Butter Market, i have always been dumb founded that there was never cashpoints installed in Maylord Orchards

Have to agree Jane, I could never work that one out. A few times we got caught out and had to walk back into town, then the desire to go back had gone.

I would have thought perhaps the King Street/Bridge Street area of the city was more in need of a cash point, I don't think there are any along there!

I am just pleased it doesn't charge.....it infuriates me that the cash point at the garage on White cross Road charges £1.99, to take out my OWN money!

It really is daylight robbery!

I would have thought perhaps the King Street/Bridge Street area of the city was more in need of a cash point, I don't think there are any along there!

I am just pleased it doesn't charge.....it infuriates me that the cash point at the garage on White cross Road charges £1.99, to take out my OWN money!

It really is daylight robbery!

How anyone could argue for a free cashpoint on King Street is beyond me! There is a free one at the end of Broad St. ! Whitecross is also mainly residential. I don't think the general population would expect to have a raft of machines in side streets. Plus ... Anyone ordinarily using a 'fee' machine needs their head read .... 

Well Roger......you're not the first to suggest that!!

I don't make a habit of it.....but when you need cash fast, I'm afraid that's the closest one for me!

My point being, that I think ALL cash points should be free - nobody should have to pay to withdraw their own money!

• 1 month later...

I saw one of these being installed in Falmouth recently - clearly, BT have done a deal with someone to replace phone boxes with money boxes, retaining a basic stand in the rain phone on one side. If they weren't festooned with writing they wouldn't look ok, but in a conservation area surrounded by listed buildings, somewhat garish. Perhaps they've done a deal with the council as well. Such is progress I guess.