The biggest Scam so far

flamboyant

I did glance at that item earlier elsewhere. The receipts look decidedly old .... But if you toggle around the link you can see that stuff was purchased at PC World in Hereford. I think you could buy it cheaper on the web. But I suppose it might be keeping shop staff in a job. 

I am sorry but I'm not sure it matters when it occurred, the facts are still the same. Are you saying that because this happened two years ago it's ok because they are not doing it now? Even if that were true, I'm more interested in the calibre of a man who would think these expenses were appropriate particularly as those very people listed are still serving Councillors. Maybe someone should pass those expenses claims to the Auditors and ask if they think it's ok? I am not sure I would have signed off in Tony Johnson's petrol allowances.

Maybe if we had a council leader who lived in Herefordshire, and not Worcestershire, his mileage claim would be a lot less!

The Heckler has done a truly magnificent job, I hope every single person in Hereford has a darn good look at this!!

Cllr Powell, Cllr Johnson was claiming huge amount!s of money in fuel allowances I know he lives in Malvern, do you know what type of vehicle he drives is it a 2/3 litre engine?  Also were Councillors allowed to claim for more than one vehicle? He appears to have claimed fuel for two different vehicles on the same day. I also note there was a claim for fuel purchased from a garage in Strattford but no supporting evidence for what he was doing in Strattford. I am not saying he wasn't in Strattford on legitimate Council business but for claims such as these which are open to scrutiny all supporting evidence should accompany the claim.

I am sorry but I'm not sure it matters when it occurred, the facts are still the same. Are you saying that because this happened two years ago it's ok because they are not doing it now? Even if that were true, I'm more interested in the calibre of a man who would think these expenses were appropriate particularly as those very people listed are still serving Councillors. Maybe someone should pass those expenses claims to the Auditors and ask if they think it's ok? I am not sure I would have signed off in Tony Johnson's petrol allowances.

I agree completely.

It shouldn't need rules for councillors to not claim for their home telephone bills, sandwiches, ipads, imac air computers etc - they should be the sort of people who instinctively know what is right and wrong.   If you are the sort of person who claims `everything I can get away with` you shouldn't be a councillor.

Next time you hear Cllr Johnson insisting `we must only spend on the statutory minimum services` consider whether his own claims reflected the minimum possible spend and a mindset of economising.

I guess it all comes down to how the council is run. If it is run as a business, these are all claimable items, if it's not run as a business, then no, they shouldn't be claiming for so much.

It would appear that they are taking the benefits from both models and non or the restrictions

I am surprised they are allowed to claim mileage as well as fuel and it looks like one claimed for filling up 2 different cars on the same day.  Quite honestly I would not have the gall to claim for a supermarket/filling station sandwich if I was on the money they are on.

I am surprised they are allowed to claim mileage as well as fuel and it looks like one claimed for filling up 2 different cars on the same day.  Quite honestly I would not have the gall to claim for a supermarket/filling station sandwich if I was on the money they are on.

Denise I think that there is some weird rule that they claim for mileage but have to prove they bought petrol - they don't claim against the petrol receipt.  This is presumably to prove that their cars don't run on fresh air.

What struck me looking at Johnson's first document was that he was going to Brockington on consecutive days for very short meetings and claiming mileage for each visit.  If he was using his own money he would make sure that he held several meetings per visit.  For example 12/6/2012 - a 45 minute meeting with Jo Davidson who is based at Brockington, and the following day back again to meet Jarvis and Morgan.  On 26th, 27th and 28th of that month - three round trips for a total of 5.5 hours of meetings - probably with pretty much the same people each time.  This is not the behaviour of an individual or organisation that is really trying to economise.  

Perhaps one of our Hereford Voice councillors could say how time is accounted for.  Would Johnson have charged for his travel time, or per visit or is there a flat rate allowance to cover all necessary meetings?  Does anyone have the responsibility of ensuring meetings etc are scheduled efficiently?

btw - did anyone else notice HCC's appearance in Private Eye the other week over the school transport vote fiasco - perhaps that was what led to Johnson's tirade in the Hereford Times.

GDJ you are absolutely right just looked again at the receipts Thanks for the clarification. I still disapprove of these costs but as Cllr Powell has already stated they are no longer allowed to claim Mileage to and from work I guess it's not such a great disaster if someone e has the odd sandwich 

Cllr Marcell Lloyd Hayes a Mac book air !!!   :Angry: 

Can't you just hear the chat between Marcell and the member of staff at PC World..Excuse me young man what is the most expensive laptop you have?.

A Mac book air pro of course madam.Oooo,I'll have one of those thankyou. 

Just a way of explanation as asked for:-

Each Cllr has a claim form for a month say March you fill it out for each meeting you attend in that month, which is paid to you the following month, therefore what you claim in March you are not paid until April. you have to state the following on the form:

1. date of meeting

2. approved duty.

3. Start point and address

4. Place of meeting

5. finish point and address

6. number of miles travelled , also whether taking another cllr as passenger and their name.

7. mode of transport rail, bus, taxi etc

8. a receipt for money claiming.

If you attend a meeting you are not a member of i.e cabinet or scrutiny you cannot claim. You cannot claim substance costs (food)unless you are attending meeting away from Hereford and your attendance has to be approved, if you stay over night it must only be in 2* accomodation and travel on trains is second class only.

As an example a few weeks ago I attended cabinet meeting where the budget was being discussed as I am not a cabinet member I could not claim travel allowance, and you are no longer able to ask questions at that meeting only through your group leader.

Hope that explains the procedure for everyone here.