When Roundabouts Were Roundabouts...

Colin James

When roundabouts were roundabouts and we had no traffic lights and not that long ago.

Wikipedia's definition of a roundabout is the same as mine funny enough

roundabout is a type of circular intersection or junction in which road traffic is slowed and flows almost continuously in one direction around a central island to several exits onto the various intersecting roads.

Belmontroundabout3.jpg

Highways Agency please see below;

This is how it works

UK_Roundabout_8_Cars.gif

Belmont Road Roundabout Photo's curtesy of Old Hereford Pic's

Belmontroundabout1.jpg

Belmontroundabout2.jpg

That is so cool! The problem is you have short memories it didn't work before! In the mornings the only thing that allows traffic out of Belmont road is traffic heading off the bridge and up the Belmont Road otherwise the Ross Road takes precedence and traffic is too heavy in rush hour to keep Belmont Road flowing. Back in the 80s when I was taking the kids to school at Kingstone coming back traffic was backed up to the Clehonger turn! The Belmont Road junction and the Ross Road junction is too close together to work unless the traffic heading out of town increases. Not sure how you would pull that one off! 

Sorry Colin I disagreed please don't do a Hereford Times on me I like it on here!  :tongue_32:

That is so cool! The problem is you have short memories it didn't work before! In the mornings the only thing that allows traffic out of Belmont road is traffic heading off the bridge and up the Belmont Road otherwise the Ross Road takes precedence and traffic is too heavy in rush hour to keep Belmont Road flowing. Back in the 80s when I was taking the kids to school at Kingstone coming back traffic was backed up to the Clehonger turn! The Belmont Road junction and the Ross Road junction is too close together to work unless the traffic heading out of town increases. Not sure how you would pull that one off! 

Sorry Colin I disagreed please don't do a Hereford Times on me I like it on here!  :tongue_32:

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinions, however, I cannot say that I agree. I have lived in Hereford all of my life and also South Hereford in particular, the traffic in this city has never been brilliant but it was always better back then that it is now, I appreciate that there are more cars but even with that taken into account traffic always flowed better without lights.

There are roundabouts and roundabouts (and perleaze don't mention the words Milton Keynes or I'll have a hissy fit) and I'd suggest that the Asda roundabout - designed by our jackbooted friends at the We-love-trees Highways Agency, must rank at the bottom of the Beacham's Powder League Table.

Spanish roundabouts are a different matter altogether.  For starters, their diameters are usually greater; signage is clear and precise; where traffic lights are fitted, they are only switch on for emergency use and - this is the best bit - they've always got something interesting perched on a mound in the middle.  I've seen iron shunting engines. Gaudi-like abstract mosaic murals and even a twice-life-size bronze of a naked mermaid, though I admit that that probably results in extra rush-hour traffic accidents.

So to distract the visitor's gaze away from the hideous cliff-like excrescence at the end of Edgar Street (which I'm convinced grows taller every weekend), couldn't Tesco be persuaded to erect a giant bronze statue of an apple in the roundabout's centre?  And do away with the traffic lights. 

I agree with Colin 100%, lived in Redhill all my life and traffic is definitely smoother flowing when there were no traffic lights, where Ross Road meet Belmont Road is a bottle neck but nothing like it is nowadays. So lights out for me too  :Happy_32:

I am with you. Colin has a valid point, turning off the traffic lights I think would work but it has to be worth trying it, I like his idea's of the traffic lights being part time too, they do not need to be on after 7pm any day of the week.

I agree traffic was much easier back then, traffic lights defeat the object to me. 

You only have to look at what happened in Ledbury Rd and the utter mayhem these lights have caused since they were installed.

Rat running through Whittern Way has become unacceptable.

Also become a great teaching aid for children and parents teaching their children to cross the road on the red man.

Not only Whittern Way, but Pilley Road and Clifton Road is a horrendous rat run now, not to mention all the houses on Ledbury Rd and Folly Lane who are subject to the noise and fumes of 100's of standing cars waiting for the lights to change. I've complained about these lights elsewhere on this site - put there on a whim of one councillor with no consultation, they've blighted 100's of lives ever since. Time to get rid, they do no good for anyone and create issues further into town with long waves of traffic holding up traffic from feeder roads.