Pontrilas election

flamboyant

Hi Flam, You are braver than me! I have been chewing my nails,and rolling fags - which I have meant to have given up and been too nervous to ask!

When does polling end? It's usually about 10.00pm isn't it?

And then the count,which in all probability shouldn't take long...another few hours,and we should know.One way or the other....

Dippy, The turnout throughout the daylight hours was very low. Given the weather, the darkness in this area, I suspect only the most determined of voters will have made the effort. This may be an advantage to those good people who, year in year out, no matter what the crisis, tend to vote with their party and in this case, it may well be the Conservative Party. I hope not for everyone's sakes, but Im not confident that enough people out in the sticks will be as concerned as us.

Fingers crossed, something upsets the dynamics. We'll hear soon I think.

Anyone got any updates on Pontrilas? I have everything crossed but nervous this is not gonna go well!

Hey Flam!  Historic win for IOC, pushing the Tories into third place (teach them to use Big Girls Blouse Jesse as their Cheer Leader!).  Along with Stuart Broad's dazzling 5 for 65 at The Gabba, this has to be the best news of the week!  Well done Wizard Wonky!

Now hopefully this is out the way we can have some grown up talks with the independents there are some excellent councillors amongst them and we need to set differences apart and start working closer together!!

Not just 'working closely together' Councillor; get one or two of them to defect (just like Alan Seldon) to The Only Truly Independent Party In Town!

A close friend was acting as an IOC Teller at one of the Pontrilas Polling Stations yesterday, quietly confident that Wizard Wonky would win (he'd checked in 12 voters and had 'had the nod' from 10 of them on their way out). 

Any road up, who should turn up but Cllr Sebastian I'm-really-a-very-superior-being Bowen, who proceeded to give my friend an abrieviated version of his letter in this week's Hereford Journal ("IOC aren't independent at all and did you know they're financed by property developers" etc et-boring-cetra).  So my friend just turned on his heel and walked away, leaving Bowen in mid-rant.  Serves him right, pompous tw@. 

Mind, whilst Im happy with this outcome, I wouldn't like to think the other political groups will start scurrying around and putting up less benign practitioners of the dark arts thinking this is how to win an election. If ever Im asked to support a Witch, a Warlock, or considerably worse, The Incubus or the dreadful Succubus, then, if my view is worth a jot of bloody notice, they can all get stuffed.

We are a people of good nature. God fearing folk who diligently recycle their waste and I'll be damned if we suddenly open our polling booth doors to agents of the Devil.

Bit more information for you - the turnout was 32% which, sad though it may seem, is quite a high turnout for a by-election. Jon Norris for IOC took 46% of the votes cast - virtually exactly the same percentage as the Tory took last time round. Independent candidate wobbled around on their share going down slightly from 32% last time to 28% this time.  Despite all of the mud slinging, both in the press and on the doorstep, IOC canvassers kept their nerve and did not fight back. We kept it absolutely clean, which is really tough when the nastiness is turned on you, but you bite your lip and try to give the positive reasons why people should vote for us - and it obviously worked. WELL DONE TO JON!