Severe weather Warning!!!

Glenda Powell

The met office has sent out an update on the severe weather  warning issued yesterday. Winds in excess of 70 to 80mph which could bring down trees and cause structual damage across England and Wales leading to power cuts and disruption to transport on Monday morning rush hour traffic.

Environment Agency warns of surface water flooding incidents across most of England with forecasters predicting 20 to 40mm rain fall Sunday within 6-9 hours.The met office has issued an Amber warning meaning "be prepared" this is a developing situation and they advise people to stay up to date with forecasts and warnings over this weekend, and be prepared to change their plans". They describe the storm as "not one you see every year" and said the expected wind strengths would be similar to storms in March 2008, January 2007 and October 2000. It has also said that people should have things in place to protect themselves and their property.

pppffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttt, ppppffffttttt I say!

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. Things like this make my job more interesting and exciting :D
I remember last year having to take a detour out towards Whitbourne on the A44 at about 3am because the Worcester road was 5ft underwater.

There were police rescure vechicles, off road rescue squads, ambulances flooded out - even rescue boats on the roads! 

There's a river on near the A44. it had burst its banks and, literally, the road became a gushing river about 2-3ft deep. I stopped, with no where to go and got out the van to test the depth. It was hit or miss, I nearly gave up... but then 2 lovely chaps in a car came up behind me and egged me on, "you go first and we'll drive in your wake" they said. These patches of violently, side flowing, road rivers occured  about 7-8 times, each time I was heading further into lower ground. With the banks burst, the surrounding fields were under water and I had to navigate the road merely from the position of the hedges. I can't lie, there was one point where it did get a very hairy and the van was nearly swept away; but I soldiered on.

It was fun :)

Great Western Way was still under water at the Barton Road Bridge 2 days ago. A lorry driver from Maygothling was trying to unblock the drain,  but he said there was a problem further down the drain and he couldn't do anything about it. I wonder if Balfour Beatty have got this problem on their books. Cyclists trying to get through are hitting submerged objects and could come off. Everyone else is having to go around the water by using the muddy bank. Been like this for at least 2 months.

Well it's 12.30am and nothing, not even a breeze a little drizzle. All this hyperbole and a complete let down. I imagine out in the sticks a few leaves might get blown off but, as mentioned above, I imagine any problems we'll have will be due to poor drainage not coping with the usual rain.

Great Western Way was still under water at the Barton Road Bridge 2 days ago. A lorry driver from Maygothling was trying to unblock the drain,  but he said there was a problem further down the drain and he couldn't do anything about it. I wonder if Balfour Beatty have got this problem on their books. Cyclists trying to get through are hitting submerged objects and could come off. Everyone else is having to go around the water by using the muddy bank. Been like this for at least 2 months.

Unblocked yesterday at last. You can now see the drain.