Is it all hitting the fan?

flamboyant

Page 2 of the Journal makes interesting reading. There's been a moment of clarification and I sincerely hope it doesn't lose momentum! 

Independent party Councillors are calling for an end to cabinet rule! Well done Cllr Mathews, Bowen and Hardwick. Now take it a step further and engage with front line staff and let them give you all the evidence you need to bring about this change. 

That one step will save Herefordshire Council the millions it needs to make our Council and our City something we can be proud of!

Having been exposed to the abilities of Councillors Johnson and Morgan and seen at first hand their limited grasp upon logical and strategic thinking, it's imperative that this new approach is implemented and developed quickly.

For my part, having been at the Kindle Centre and been witness to them and their limited ability to string together a coherent thought and sentence, its clear to me that they are both clueless people who should be positioned well away from any lever of power.

If these two are typical of those that sit within the inner circle of power then its no wonder we are in desperate fiscal trouble. It was truly shocking to see these two struggle with the simplistic issues that you and I could easily deal with without any discomfort.

My friend Flamboyant is right to bring this to our attention. They must go. It's to late now but at least we can be given the opportunity to mitigate this disaster that they have delivered to us.

The Ltd grasp brigade will meet tomorrow to decide on the fate of yet more of our services. Panic not they will be following the recommendations of some new rising stars! The Library assistant now presiding over customer services assisted by a team of newbies who to their credit have managed to bluff their way through and convince the cabinet that they actually know what they are doing!  News flash 'they don't' they are steering you into a disaster!

Surely the Balfour Beatty saga has awoken you from your slumber,  I mean who saw that one coming? For those not in the know Balfour Beatty will not have any phone lines until the 14th Oct! Herefordshire Council can't contact their own contractors!

Isn't it time to regroup? At the very least you should be serving the public's someone's head?

I totally support my Independent colleagues on this, the cabinet and this administration has got to go. I also fully support the tax paying public in their views, as someone who is having to listen to the excuses for their actions they are saying on a daily basis, with no thought for the people they were elected to serve, their excuses are wearing decidely thin!!!

Cllr Powell, just when I was about to give up , you posted and have temporarily restored my faith by echoing the sentiments of the dozen or so die hard posters that adorn these forums. However I've also come to realise it doesn't matter what we say we won't change anything there really is no stopping these people they truly believe they are above reproach.  What I find really astounding is that there really is nothing we can do to change things. Cllr Johnson said it all when he said at the meeting on the 19th 'you speak because I allow you to speak!'

Thank you Cllr it can't be easy to stand up against these bullies!

This thread is bang on and you worked out for your selfs how the administration lacks talent they stopped one CLLR going to that meeting because he can't take criticism and would have been even more embarrassing for the Tories we must get rid of them at all costs and the independents and it's our county need to work together to achieve this there must be a clear choice for the electrate at the next election same old Tories administration or a lndy's and IOC administration that would put the best person in the best job to insure this county is run correctly and I hope Glenda would support me in this aim.

Why wait two years? The council can be petitioned to hold a referendum on whether our district should change to a different form of governance ie to scrap the closed door crony cabinet system and replace it with something else eg a committee lead system.

The minimum number of signatures to support a valid petition in Herefordshire is 7172.

This isn't just forum chatter - this is a valid and legal way to change the way we are governed. It shouldn't be that hard to obtain just over 7000 signatures, should it?

TWG - there is a problem with scrapping the cabinet system and going back to committees. That is the ruling party are allowed/required to have the majority on the committee. So you will get the same outcome as now.

If you want real change they will have to be voted out.

But if you look at the Council make up today what is the alternative? None of the opposition members genuinely fill me with any confidence that they would do much different or be able to manage a p up in a brewery (no disrespect meant Jim). There are a few projects that might not proceed but in the huge overspending area nobody knows how to control spending in social care.

The arguments about development are just as protracted on here as at Brockington.

By pass or no by pass and if you do, west or east? More housing or no housing?You will get 100 different opinions

What you might not like is supported by others (although not usually on the internet!!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we probably have a broken system

I suggested a committee lead system - I don't claim to have all the answers, but we all know the cabinet system has been tried, tested and found severely wanting and open to horrible abuse. It has to go.

Perhaps we consider reverting to a two tier committee system, such as when we had the district and county system. This at least provided for some checks and balances. Perhaps we should consider merging with Worcestershire, perhaps Hereford City could become a District Authority again - there are many options to explore.

I agree with TwoWheelsGood 100% TwoWheelsGood if you're serious, post your idea on the comments section at the bottom of Tony Johnson's letter on the Hereford Times Website along with every forum you can think of! Then post a petition on 38 degrees, let the people decide. I'm guessing you will have your 7,000 + signatures in no time at all! 

My experience of the current administration is none of them can take criticism. 

See for yourselves.

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/letters/10685351.Letter_from_Tony_Johnson__Leader__Herefordshire_Council_says_prudent_borrowing_is_best_for_future/

Still pedalling the myth that the 'Rotherwas Relief Road is creating jobs' I see.