Traffic Chaos Asda Roundabout!!

Glenda Powell

Did anyone else witness traffic chaos Sunday morning, traffic was backing up on new bridge because confusion about new route road for Asda, after all the money spent they did not put up any signs as to which lane to go in for Asda or Belmont Road, everyone stuck in the middle, three lines of traffic all going one way. It block Belmont road and Ross road as well!

It's a complete and utter joke, I asked for yellow boxes at the Tesco roundabout and got turned down because we have no lights and here there are yellow boxes everywhere! In fact it's almost impossible not to be stuck in one as there is a yellow box on each exit? Also can someone please explain to me why there is a road coming out of Asda that comes to a dead end? WHY WHY WHY can they not use that road for people leaving Asda wanting to turn left over the bridge? No lights needed just a give way

I sat in the Treacle Mine recently pondering this very thing. As I stared out at the scene of this unfolding bag of rats, sucking on my *** and drinking my ale it suddenly crossed my mind, what's left of it, that 'they', the ones who administer over these schemes are either unqualified and they acquired their qualification from the Internet or they are mad.

It's one or the other. It can't be anything else. I mean, who'd sit down, plan the work, confront the bloody options and then shout out, 'that's the one for me, lets get our lads down there and begin buggering about before some fool changes our minds'.

The entire plan, and I use the term plan in its broadest possible sense, is the work of idiots. If my dear wife, a nosey women if ever there was one, came rushing home and delivered me her plan that was along the same lines as this bag of dirt, I'd embrace her, tell her I loved her and I'd remove her from our home, take her to see the local Trick Cyclist and Id demand they carried out an imeadiately full frontal lobotomy.

Our Colin suggests its a joke! This ain't no joke. This, and all the other schemes that are delivered up to us and shoved down our throats is madness and anyone who says otherwise, disagrees with me.

• 2 weeks later...

How can they say the Asda roundabout is better now, on occasions when there are about six cars waiting for Asda lane you cannot get into either of the Abergavenny lanes. Its been made so much worse. Today I was stuck on the bridge because of the queue to Asda and both lanes were empty to get on the Abergavenny road because cars were waiting to get in the Asda lane where it was still single file before splitting into two lanes then Three.. We never had this before, the Asda lane only holds 3 cars. The road is now worse as they have made the pinch point nearer to the bridge now!!! The Asda lane should have started from the traffic lights at the end of the bridge for this to ever work.

How can they say the Asda roundabout is better now, on occasions when there are about six cars waiting for Asda lane you cannot get into either of the Abergavenny lanes. Its been made so much worse. Today I was stuck on the bridge because of the queue to Asda and both lanes were empty to get on the Abergavenny road because cars were waiting to get in the Asda lane where it was still single file before splitting into two lanes then Three.. We never had this before, the Asda lane only holds 3 cars. The road is now worse as they have made the pinch point nearer to the bridge now!!! The Asda lane should have started from the traffic lights at the end of the bridge for this to ever work.

Wendy this whole junction is a complete joke but I do agree with you, its worse than ever!

The third lane has to be there for people who want to go back into Hereford. The Asda lane is only built so that you can go to Asda, a right turn is not done then because when the lights are green to go into Asda they are also Green to come out of Asda. Adrian I did know it was Colin's Idea, my grammar is bad... I meant by putting the new road in did they know Colin's plan to switch the lights off could than never happen as it would be too dangerous, as it would no longer be a proper roundabout...Any way the new road doesn't work, so can they just change it back to how it was double quick. Or have we got to wait months like we did for the high town reversal? In fact if they got rid of the new Asda lane and made the new third Lane a bit longer it might just have worked. But then it would have only cost tens of thousands instead of hundreds of thousands and we all know how they like to waste money.

For once it wasn't the council, it was the Highways Agency the roads belong to them, but yes I agree a total waste of money, and no it will not be changed back. I said back in 2003 as a new councillor at the planning committee for the Asda application, (the Highway Agency said they would have no objection as long as the lights was put there) that it would not work all we needed was a roundabout I was told I was a new councillor and didnot know what I was talking about, and to sit down. 10 years on my words have come right. They should of changed it to a roundabout this time and got rid of the lights once and for all!

• 3 weeks later...
The Asda lane is only built so that you can go to Asda, a right turn is not done then because when the lights are green to go into Asda they are also Green to come out of Asda

I could be mistaken, but I'm sure that the one and only time I've been in that "Asda" lane, the traffic lights have a 4th light at the bottom, a green arrow signifying a right turn back towards the bridge.

Shutting off the lights would be better for traffic, however, I believe that it would be more dangerous for at least a few weeks because of peoples selfish "just go" attitude.

I also agree with Colin that the "dead end" road from the Asda mini roundabout should go to a left only give way junction for people going back out over the bridge. Those lights stay green enough for about 3 cars to get out or 1 lorry, not to mention that once 2 cars are in the middle lane, every one going up Belmont Road has to join the queue of people going up Ross Road.

I wouldn't mind betting that that "roundabout" has the record for most traffic lights in the country.

EDIT:

I just drove past, there is indeed a right turn green arrow on the Asda lane... what they have done is added MORE lights so that if you turn right, you have about 1 car's depth before more red lights, basically the same as it used to be but they've duplicated the junction and lights.

I did start to count the PAIRS of lights on that one roundabout, but got lost and confused after 18.