Riverside railings need repairing as a matter of urgency

Hereford Voice

The riverside railings were severely damaged during the floods of early 2020 and again this year.

IMG_1250.thumb.jpeg.3cb7a8a9031ca99f78a3f3077652a51a.jpeg

As you can see from these photographs the railings are clearly unsafe and look like they could fall into the river at anytime.

IMG_1252.thumb.jpeg.895c586740aa99738345ed6ce1478bac.jpeg

IMG_1254.thumb.jpeg.f5978a5280d8275e4ff58b6ead02e4c5.jpeg

The gap that has been exposed is clearly dangerous even though Herefordshire Council contractors have placed barriers across but this needs addressing as a matter of urgency and we will be pushing the Council for an answer this week on when the public can expect these railings to be repaired.

They do seem to pick & choose what needs to be repaired or replaced & I'd of thought these barriers would be top priority.
Take the barriers that were knocked down on the Starting gate roundabout a month ago and were replaced within three weeks and the same type of barriers in Belmont Road going to Waterfield Road that were knocked down before Christmas and still not been done.

This access of Wye Walk to Asda direction or onto Salisbury etc was closed after the flood in Feb 2020. I know the Manager of the Kindle Center flagged up this lack of access for all walkin clients of theirs. I do not know when they opened access and put the barrier up but it is now 12 months with a unsafe solution. But it is POOR that uses the Wye Walk as access around Hereford. Hereford Council have spent ££Ms for the B4224 road closure which happened on the same day. I question the Council priorities.

On 16/02/2021 at 00:03, ragwert said:

They do seem to pick & choose what needs to be repaired or replaced & I'd of thought these barriers would be top priority.
Take the barriers that were knocked down on the Starting gate roundabout a month ago and were replaced within three weeks and the same type of barriers in Belmont Road going to Waterfield Road that were knocked down before Christmas and still not been done.

Presumably the Starting Gate work was done by Highways Agency as it's the A49T. Local work, BBLP can't be bothered, they freely admit they work on a reactive basis - until there is a volume of complaints, they'll ignore it.

I would like to add that damage to this area started way back in 2018, the large fencing areas was only placed there in 2020 who  responsibility is it, the The environment agency, the council, the Forestry Commission for allowing all the trees down the river,  as somebody suggested that sarky comment they placed on a post I placed on Facebook, 

On 20/02/2021 at 11:45, twowheelsgood said:

Presumably the Starting Gate work was done by Highways Agency as it's the A49T. Local work, BBLP can't be bothered, they freely admit they work on a reactive basis - until there is a volume of complaints, they'll ignore it.

BBLP are commissioned by the Council to work on a reactive basis, I don't think that's the fault of BBLP but a fault of the Council and/or Central Government for not adequately funding the highways network.

On 23/02/2021 at 11:42, retrographics said:

I would like to add that damage to this area started way back in 2018, the large fencing areas was only placed there in 2020 who  responsibility is it, the The environment agency, the council, the Forestry Commission for allowing all the trees down the river,  as somebody suggested that sarky comment they placed on a post I placed on Facebook, 

The EA are responsible for the river banks I believe but these railings will be the responsibility of the council.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, twowheelsgood said:

Perhaps we'll get an absurdly over engineered, inappropriate and expensive concrete wall like this £2.6m one at Fownhope, in the middle of an AONB. I've already been told 'lessons will be learned' from this fiasco, but they never are and certainly never will be whilst the tail is wagging the dog.

IMG_6115.jpg

First time I have seen this eyesore. Good grief who is in charge of this appalling abomination 

• Thumbs Up 1

That's the nub isn't it - no one is in charge, at least from the Client side, charged with 'best use' of our money. Plenty of chiefs mind you, with their fancy job titles, it's just that they're not very good at their £100k pa jobs, they don't care, they get paid anyway, no one will sack them, jobs a good 'un for them. We're two years into the present Council's incumbency and still no sign of the election pledge to review BBLP's contract - if ever there was a reason, this must be it.

16 minutes ago, twowheelsgood said:

That's the nub isn't it - no one is in charge, at least from the Client side, charged with 'best use' of our money. Plenty of chiefs mind you, with their fancy job titles, it's just that they're not very good at their £100k pa jobs, they don't care, they get paid anyway, no one will sack them, jobs a good 'un for them. We're two years into the present Council's incumbency and still no sign of the election pledge to review BBLP's contract - if ever there was a reason, this must be it.

Very true.

But even if the Client side were in charge what are the chances they would have considered the impact on the AONB or even consulted their conservation team. Answer = nil.

I weep for the future of this County with the self aggrandizing of the Councillors (whoever they are) and the under performing Chief Officers

• 2 months later...

Here we are again with local social media pages highlighting this issue yet again as nothing has been done.
I'm sure some of Herefordshires Councillors are reading this so are any of you able to give some update as to when this is going to be sorted out.