River Wye record breaker

ragwert

The other organisation people might not be aware of is The River Lugg Internal Drainage Board - the only one covering parts of Herefordshire.

The River Lugg Internal Drainage Board is responsible for water level management and watercourse maintenance in a defined geographical area which encompasses low-lying land within the catchments of the Rivers Lugg, Arrow, Frome and Worm Brook. This area of rich agricultural land is dependent upon well-maintained drainage systems.

The River Lugg Internal Drainage Board is one of the 112 Internal Drainage Boards in England and they are a member of the Association of Drainage Authorities 

The River Lugg Internal Drainage Board's rateable area comprises 11,171 ha. with 219 km. of scheduled watercourses, which are generally arterial watercourses with more than one riparian owner. Most of these watercourses are subject to regular maintenance with the others receiving attention on a less regular basis, as required.

The largest urban development within the district is the town of Leominster, parts of which are at risk of flooding, with smaller flood-prone settlements at Pembridge, Eardisland, Bodenham, Wellington, Withington Marsh and Hampton Bishop.

Who is responsible for maintaining the watercourses running through my land?

The primary responsibility for the maintenance of any watercourse rests with the owner of that watercourse. This will usually be the owner of the land adjoining that watercourse. Where a channel is marked as an IDB drain, that Board's byelaws apply to it and the Board will often undertake required drainage works. The Land Drainage Act 1991, under which the Boards operate, however, enables them but does not require them to carry out drainage works.

I wonder how many landowners maintain their field drainage - not that it will make much difference in the exceptional circumstances experienced today.

The cost the devastation this disaster will cause to so many companies shops and individuals does not bear thinking about.  Hereford town was nearly on it's knees as it was what this will be do to it I do not know. I trust HC will set up a "Cobra" type committee to get Herefordshire back to some form of normality. It has to be a priority surely. 

Individuals and companies have to know where to get assistance be it finance or some muscle and HC has to be the first point of contact.  

You'd like to think so wouldn’t you, but I'd no longer trust the Council to cross the potholed road, let alone take this on. Why has the £4m+ Yazor Brook flood alleviation scheme failed less than 10 years after building it? It was 'designed' for a 1 in a 1000 year extreme event. This throws into doubt all of the ESG development land along the Link Road. The Council knew it wasn't working even before this - I've been told by Planning. A lot of the lesser flooding could have been avoided if the gullies and drains had been properly maintained - I gave up reporting blocked gullies as nothing was ever done. And so on. At some point, you just pull up the drawbridge.

I had high hopes following the local election results 9 months ago. However, aside from kicking the bypass into the long grass (but at a ridiculous £0.5m cost) absolutely nothing tangible has happened to improve life in the County. Nothing. I appreciate a lot of problems were inherited and they want to fundamentally change policies but it's also about PR with the Council Tax payers, and all we're seeing is press releases for this, that and the other review. From reading the Hereford Times and comments, it seems the initial goodwill is quickly evaporating, because we're not seeing anything tangible on the ground. Do something, anything, no matter how small - turn off one set of traffic lights for instance. As for salary scales for 'Officers' how did that happen? Are these people worth £100k or more for so little done so badly? Of course not, but they're all looking after each other instead of doing the job. A benevolent dictatorship has never looked so attractive.

• Like 2

I went into town yesterday it was empty,everywhere was closing early including the banks,people were stopping in their cars looking at the floods on Greyfriars Bridge, and when I came back to South Wye the Asda roundabout was flooded to about 4ft  into Belmont Road. I was told the old bridge was in a state of calapse, consideration was also was being considered to close Grefriars bridge. On the news it was also said the water around Asda was contaminated with suege.

10 hours ago, Glenda Powell said:

I went into town yesterday it was empty,everywhere was closing early including the banks,people were stopping in their cars looking at the floods on Greyfriars Bridge, and when I came back to South Wye the Asda roundabout was flooded to about 4ft  into Belmont Road. I was told the old bridge was in a state of calapse, consideration was also was being considered to close Grefriars bridge. On the news it was also said the water around Asda was contaminated with suege.

Most of it silly gossip spread through social media Glenda just like the  'its going to rise another 10ft' load on nonsense.