Deteriorating road surfaces shake up cyclists?

megilleland

Back on my bike and cycling across the city. Newton Farm to Bodenham Road daily and surprised the roads are as bad as they are for cyclists. My list includes tree roots beginning to lift the surface of Great Western Way, Canonmoor Street (pitted road surface and nice pothole just before Edgar Street), Blackfriars Street from the traffic lights to Widemarsh Street (forcing you to cycle in the middle of the road to find a smooth surface), Canal Road (patchwork of repairs), Southbank Road leading into Bodenham Road (pitted and rough surface - a real boneshaker downhill on the return). I suppose no problem if you are on a BMX and running wide tyres.

How's your ride - nice and smooth?

I was talking to a couple from Cheltenham who were staying at Poston Peterchurch with their caravan for a couple of days and they said the roads oh the roads what on earth has happened. The caravan certainly did not have a smooth ride. We have grass growing up through the cracks in the roads the other side of Kingstone. Absolute disgrace.

11 hours ago, megilleland said:

Back on my bike and cycling across the city. Newton Farm to Bodenham Road daily and surprised the roads are as bad as they are for cyclists. My list includes tree roots beginning to lift the surface of Great Western Way, Canonmoor Street (pitted road surface and nice pothole just before Edgar Street), Blackfriars Street from the traffic lights to Widemarsh Street (forcing you to cycle in the middle of the road to find a smooth surface), Canal Road (patchwork of repairs), Southbank Road leading into Bodenham Road (pitted and rough surface - a real boneshaker downhill on the return). I suppose no problem if you are on a BMX and running wide tyres.

How's your ride - nice and smooth?

That route is smooth when compared to Folly Lane especially on the downhill at speed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2019 at 11:12, megilleland said:

Just cycled down the resurfaced Yazor Brook route, Lovely surface. Shame that some idiots thought it would be a good idea to throw the contractor's wire panels and cones into the brook.

That's been widened and resurfaced to a very good standard courtesy of Section 106 monies from the redevelopment of the old school site for housing, with a link bridge though to that housing over the brook. It shows up a lot of other cycle paths in the City for the run down and/or badly designed things that they are. The Great Western Way is a fantastic facility, years ahead of its time when it was opened, must have carried millions of journeys, yet it's in desperate need of upgrading, proper resurfacing, lighting and cctv. The cost is absolute peanuts compared to new roads. The riverside path was very badly surfaced by the Council and is unpleasant to ride. The new greenway is covered in graffiti from end to end - a bad oversite not to have put cctv in when it was built. Such a shame to see a flagship facility so abused and no effort at all to clean it up (it took over a month of complaining to get some highly offensive wording dealt with - BBLP didn't even bother to clean it, just painted over it).

• Like 1