Building Control Warning

megilleland

Aedis Building Inspectors unreachable

Just been caught up in this fiasco after having paid £660 to have an approved inspector check my building regulations affecting a new extension being built for my disabled partner. Aedis the company the inspectors were working through has gone into voluntary liquidation as a result of being unable to secure ongoing insurance.

Aedis Regulatory Services (ARS) was carrying out building control on around 12,000 projects, which is approximately 5% of the construction industry, according to its boss. Housing industry figures warned the wider crisis has "potential consequences for housing supply".

Joe Ayre, managing director of ARS, told Inside Housing: “Without insurance we can’t operate. For six weeks [since it expired], we haven’t taken any business in, we haven’t taken any money in. There’s no light at the end of the tunnel.”

I now have to pay Herefordshire County Council £540.00 to check and verify the work. Considering that there are many people affected who acted in good faith it is surprising that no authority has investigated this maladministration.

Just when you need all the help and assistance in the world you get this added expense and hassle.  When all you need is to get your home right to suit your partner's needs so you do not have to travel to Bristol(I think that is what you said earlier) and get yourselves into  a routine of balancing care and earning money. You are doing all the right things but it would seem you have little back up from the authorities.  This country has become a disgrace.  There is a Stroke Charity at Tupsley but I expect you know that already.

So much for privatisation of public bodies - business will drop it like a hot stone as soon as they're not making enough money and damn the consequences. New house warranties (in lieu of NHBC or Building Control) are suffering a similar fate. Yet there has been talk for some while of privatising planning services - what a feast that will be for developers and their private planner chums. Local Authorities have many, many faults, but at least they are always there (well, for now anyway). My experience of local Building Control has always been very positive, they run a tight and efficient ship (ironically, probably because of private competition). The Planning Department not so much ...

2 hours ago, twowheelsgood said:

So much for privatisation of public bodies - business will drop it like a hot stone as soon as they're not making enough money and damn the consequences. New house warranties (in lieu of NHBC or Building Control) are suffering a similar fate. Yet there has been talk for some while of privatising planning services - what a feast that will be for developers and their private planner chums. Local Authorities have many, many faults, but at least they are always there (well, for now anyway). My experience of local Building Control has always been very positive, they run a tight and efficient ship (ironically, probably because of private competition). The Planning Department not so much ...

Agree. Building Control have been up to get our extension on a forward course. Fortunately I have taken photos of the building stages and these will help me prove that the work is progressing correctly. My partner is in a care home in Hereford until the work is finished hopefully September, although she is returning to the QE for a further operation in the next few months and this will involve more hospitalisation. She has been away 500 days now since her stroke on the 25th March 2018 and been in hospitals in Birmingham (QE & Moseley Hall), Hereford, Bromyard, Bristol, return to Bromyard and now in care home. I gave my job up completely and at present living off my pensions, savings, but things financially will drastically change in the future. I have had a good insight into the workings of the NHS while visiting her nearly every day and a lot of the problems appear to be at the management end. The Tories continuing plans to privatise the NHS will only compound patients and relatives problems. 

An inspector falls: what the building control insurance crisis means for the housing sector.

Notice issued by Oxford City Council

• 3 weeks later...

I have had one experience using a private company (j hai ltd) and that was enough of a bad experience to never use one again.

I had roof timbers inspected and passed by one person from their company then had a final inspection by someone else who said the pitch was to low on the utility roof side.going by plans it was impossible to raise them any higher and the solution was to double felt the roof which meant removing the clay tiles and battens and tiling again.called for another inspection and it was the same bloke who passed the roof timbers in the beginning.:Nervous:.