New Speeding Fines

Colin James

Below is a chart of new speeding fines and penalties that have come into effect this month. Although I see the need for people to reduce their speed this again is aimed the working person doing well! 

This is not a level playing field at all! 

Example 1: 

Worker 1 earns 150 per week drives at 75 mph on motorway will be fined £75

Worker 2 earns 400 per week and drives at the exact same speed as worker 1 will be fined £200.

Example 2:

Worker 1 earns 150 per week drives at 42 mph in a 30mph will be fined £150

Worker 2 earns 400 per week and drives at the exact same speed as worker 1 will be fined £400.

How is this fair?

NEW SPEEDING PENALTIES 240417.jpg

It is not fair is it.

The incentive in the UK is not to work, the person who has worked and climbed the ladder to a little bit of success is treated much worse.

Based upon your examples above these two drivers could be racing each other and one is penalised more than the other,  I am surprised nobody has kicked off about this, so what happens if you are on benefits? PLEASE do not tell me that no fine applies.

From my understanding there is no minimum £100 fine. The important point, apparently completely missed, is that the new guidelines only apply if court proceedings are instituted.

The 36/30 example is ridiculous. 36/30 is a speed awareness course or otherwise a £100 fixed penalty and 3 points endorsement. 36/30 doesn't involve court proceedings and an income based fine - and it won't in future. The only reason 36/30 would go to court is if the accused didn't pay the £100 fixed penalty or wasn't eligible for a fixed penalty - because he has 9 or more points within 3 years of the latest offence.

The new guidelines are near identical to the existing guidelines - but only the highest category changes from Band B to Band C.

Drive at speeds up to and incuding 95/70 and the police will offer you the chance to pay a fixed penalty. Absolutely nothing to do with your income. The same applies to speeds up to and including 49/30. This is not changing.