Junction Changes at Station Approach Hereford

Colin James

Junction Changes at Station Approach Hereford.

The City Link Road works at the Station Approach end of the scheme are progressing well and Alun Griffiths (Contractors) Ltd will be changing the priorities for vehicles exiting the railway station forecourt by removing the mini round-about to assist with construction work.

From the 8 March vehicles coming from the forecourt area will ‘give-way’ to traffic coming to and from the station parking area.

In order to undertake this work Station Approach will require a lane closure for traffic turning onto Commercial Road from 7pm until 5am from 9-11 March inclusive.

From 16 March access into Morrison’s car park for Station Approach traffic coming from the Aylestone Hill junction will also re-open. Exit from the car park will continue to be via the far exit near the Royal Mail building.

Herefordshire Council would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience whilst we deliver the new road.

Morrisons-2_500x354.jpg

Morrisons-1_500x353.jpg

And of course after the road is completed it will make driving through/around so much easier - time will tell.  Just how much is this all going to cost oh yes nobody really knows because the figures were a bit messed around weren't they?

Probably twice as much as it would of cost to vastly improve movement throughout the City 

And of course after the road is completed it will make driving through/around so much easier - time will tell.  Just how much is this all going to cost oh yes nobody really knows because the figures were a bit messed around weren't they?

A lot more than the budget set I expect. I still cannot see how this will improve things, money would of been better spent on another river crossing

So traffic leaving the station has to give way to car park traffic? Surely this is the wrong way round? Logic, Herefordshire Council, waste, madness, doomed etc etc ...

Yes, this will be confusing for some people I am sure, very odd way of going about this.

So traffic leaving the station has to give way to car park traffic? Surely this is the wrong way round? Logic, Herefordshire Council, waste, madness, doomed etc etc ...

Pretty sure there is more traffic coming in and out of the car park 

You are, according to the drawings at least. There is land to be taken from the timber merchants to allow for two lanes to queue at the TRAFFIC LIGHTS. Oh yes.

Seems rather tight.

Cannot for the life of me see why they are putting lights here other than to do what every other set of lights do in

Hereford FK up the traffic.What's wrong with a roundabout.

And I wonder if they can get these new lights working on the ground sensors so vehicles are not waiting on Red when there is no traffic about

like the ones in Blackfriars Street,still not working on the ground sensors.

None of these roads are trunk roads - they are all under the direct control of the Council. We pay for the best and get the worst - this is lazy, complacent engineering which no doubt ticks all the safety audits, but completely screws up the City. Officers should be taking a pro-active view of proposals and briefing consultants on what is required - not the other way round. Similarly they should deb banging the table to get things working when they are broken. Bottom line is that people are not doing the job they are paid very well to do. Where are the Councillors in all of this? Nowhere to be seen.

This couldnt be more different from the original masterplan for the ESG area http://www.esgherefordshire.co.uk/news/masterplan-for-herefords-future-prosperity-unveiled/  . "The whole area is designed to favour walking, cycling and public transport, with a new boulevard linking the railway station to the city centre for the first time since the station was built in 1855. Sustainability is a cornerstone of the development plans. A linear park running through the development, from College Road bridge to the heart of the new development, will create an environmentally friendly pedestrian route and natural wildlife habitat."  

What happened to "sustainability"? With all these traffic lights are the Council trying to create a whole new Air Quality management area with stop/start  cars. As Denise says these people just cannot be qualified to do the job.

The hugely expensive and ambitious ESG was abandoned after just 7 years into its 20 year life - once the money men had bled the Council dry over the OLM, it was quietly put to sleep. Next on the list was to have been the Civic Quarter … No surprise that a new plan is being worked on with no consultation and with more than four quarters … 

• 5 months later...

https://t.co/AncIcuqGu5

New aerial photos of the City Link Road

Thanks for these Denise - it looks like there is still alot of work to be done. When is this road opening?

Also, can anyone tell me what is supposed to be happening about the "Transport Hub" which I thought was being designed outside the railway station? These latest aerial pictures just seem to show huge areas of tarmac - not just the new road but endless car parking around this whole area. Yet when I cycled recently to the railway station there were just 5 bike stands outside, all of which were full. Any chance of any trees to make the area look a bit nicer and less like a huge industrial wasteland ?- or is this how Herefordshire Council will now be marketing our historic City - the land where the money ran out?

Due to open 'end of the year' - it takes a long time to wire up 100 traffic lights and to make sure that none of them talk to each other. The transport hub is a future proposal - you didn't expect that as well did you! It was of course a key part of the ESG Masterplan and should have been delivered years ago.

Apparently on target to open at the end of the year. Not sure what target this refers to though. Signs went up at the start saying that work would start in spring 2015. Demolition was due to take 6 months and the construction would take 18 months. Even taking those as approximates surely it should have been finished by now

Due to open 'end of the year' - it takes a long time to wire up 100 traffic lights and to make sure that none of them talk to each other. The transport hub is a future proposal - you didn't expect that as well did you! It was of course a key part of the ESG Masterplan and should have been delivered years ago.

Did they say which year? 

Herefordshire Council cant be bothered about the value of tourism to the local economy then with the current road layout right in front of the station. Personally I think if I was visiting Hereford to consider opening a big business on Rotherwas I might think the place was 60 years behind the times as the first impressions of the historic City make it look like it has just been bombed by the Luftwaffe. Not finding a route out of the station I would just turn straight back around and get back on the train! 

Looking back at the ESG Masterplan '20 Year Vision', adopted in 2007 (so we're halfway through it ...)

Phase 1, 2010 - 2012

• Commence Station Approach redevelopment
• Construction of link road including land assembly and clearance
(route options under consideration between A-B)
• Land assembly and construction of new car park for Royal Mail,
to south west of existing Royal Mail building
• Establish pedestrian connection between railway station and
Blackfriars
• Widemarsh Brook diversion - route options under consideration
• Initial works at Station Square and transport hub
• Streetscaping to Widemarsh Street

So far behind schedule, they've quietly abandoned this multi-million pound Masterplan (that’s just the fees to consultants by the way) and started again with the Hereford Area Plan and lots of new (different) quarters. More of a job creation scheme than a constructive approach to the future, but that's the way Council's continue to roll with our money.