CITY CENTER CHAOS FROM 10th OCTOBER

lpusseycat

It will cause chaos as traffic won't be able to turn left towards Newtown Rd from Blackfriars St, so it will all have to go along Newtown Rd to access Widemarsh St. Now we all know how bad the traffic can be around Pizza Hut/College Rd bridge at normal times, so with the extra volume from Blackfriars St as well, it will have a knock on effect. Made worse by the fact it will be in the run up to Xmas, so there will be extra traffic on the roads as well.

To me it would have made more sense to have allowed access from Blackfriars St as far as Play Planet/Plumb Centre, as that is the end of Widemarsh St where most businesses are located. Doesn't make sense to do the entire length, it's not as if there is any work going on by Wickes.

It will cause chaos as traffic won't be able to turn left towards Newtown Rd from Blackfriars St, so it will all have to go along Newtown Rd to access Widemarsh St. Now we all know how bad the traffic can be around Pizza Hut/College Rd bridge at normal times, so with the extra volume from Blackfriars St as well, it will have a knock on effect. Made worse by the fact it will be in the run up to Xmas, so there will be extra traffic on the roads as well.

To me it would have made more sense to have allowed access from Blackfriars St as far as Play Planet/Plumb Centre, as that is the end of Widemarsh St where most businesses are located. Doesn't make sense to do the entire length, it's not as if there is any work going on by Wickes.

I tend to notice that nearly all people who go down Blackfriars St turn right or left then right into Coningsby St.The road will be access only up to the new road from both ways so people can access places like Wicks/Play planet etc.

I know i'm being pedantic and irritating, but is there any way somebody could change the thread title to "Centre" rather than "Center."  I know, i know, I should get a life, but it's spelt wrongly...  Sorry.

I think you will find it can be spelt (spelled) both ways Clarkster  :Grin:

I am sorry for the spelling error which seems more important than the issue at hand.Anyone who has been at the Newtown roundabout at 5pm will know what it is like from a traffic point of view and to have a one way system through the xmas period will no doubt make a huge impact on traffic.On a saturday during a normal week is bad enough we will see congestion on a large scale when this starts.

I am sorry for the spelling error which seems more important than the issue at hand.Anyone who has been at the Newtown roundabout at 5pm will know what it is like from a traffic point of view and to have a one way system through the xmas period will no doubt make a huge impact on traffic.On a saturday during a normal week is bad enough we will see congestion on a large scale when this starts.

I am afraid lpusseycat, is right it will be double double chaos.

I recon lpusseycat may well be right, it will be chaos. With Christmas shopping, weekend shopping, rush hour traffic be prepared for a jolly good traffic jam. Thank you Hereford Council. More congestion, more traffic fumes and pollution. Abergavenny will be the place to go shopping, or Monmouth.

Sorry IPusseyCat, it's me, not you!

You are right of course, there will be chaos.

Add to that, the inevitable accident somewhere along any number of routes and there will be traffic chaos of epic proportions.

I think somebody should monitor the traffic news and be prepared with a hot food stand...  Hot dogs, or something like that...

Or, maybe turkey rolls and (non-alcoholic) mulled wine.  Ooh, festive!

Off course traffic will get worse - that is what Herefordshire Council have been trying to do for years!

If they solved the traffic congestion then they wouldn't be able to justify spending so much money on building brand new roads. Councillors like cutting ribbons on brand new roads with a nice photo opportunity. Perhaps they just like cutting - e.g. bus services, social services, library services, etc. I expect there will be Cllr Johnson and his merry men to cut a ribbon on the new "Link Road" though where it is going to and from is beyond me. I was hoping we were going to get a new transport hub so buses would drop people off/pick up at the railway station. 

As I have said this Council are looking to make the traffic worse in Hereford. My friend tells me it is because the Council are about to launch a consultation on the "bypass" in late October. This at the same time they are cutting library services and recognising that people who want to use libraries will need to travel into Hereford, probably by car, as public transport will also be cut. Am I the only one who can see no joint working across Herefordshire to improve things for the average County taxpayer? There is certainly no effort at joined up thinking. If library services are being cut and centralised mainly in Hereford then transport into the City Centre from the villages needs to be improved not cut. The elderly, young people and disabled all need public transport as many don't drive cars or have access to one. I wish this Cabinet would try and get around without their big cars and Council fuel allowances and start providing transport that everyone can use. 

Don't know if it is related or not, but the traffic coming in at Belmont Tesco roundabout has been backed up past the Callow turn both yesterday and today at 7:45am, usually it's still at the roundabout at this sort of time most mornings - could be the altered light timings causing the backlog, or just the Widemarsh street works, not really sure, just seems unusual to me.