And if we do leave the European Union.

bobby47

And I believe we will, the Government will have to address the entire process of extricating ourselves from the EU and once more being able to manage our own affairs.

Most pressing will be what to do with the millions of migrants who are here in the United Kingdom and are now tied and bound to our society and our way of life. Expecting millions of people to simply leave or being repatriated to their home country is simply fanciful and unrealistic and so our politicians have to decide on who stays, who goes and who will be able to remain and, more importantly, how it's done and how to do it without causing to much angst and hurt to those who are not British citizens.

That said, when it's all done and dusted and we are no longer required to host these many millions of people, we are going to be required to make some straightforward and even harsh decisions that'll decide who can stay and who must go.

Given that once the money tap is turned off, our public services will no longer be available free of charge and our economy becomes adjusted to British jobs for British workers, I'm sure that many many thousands of migrants will want to leave and go elsewhere where the benefits are more easily available. They'll excercise their right to settle elsewhere within the EU and adjust to a new way of life that's still welcoming to the idea of Free Movement of People.

As for those who've found love, who have children, perhaps with a mortgaged property or even a Council House, then this group must be allowed to remain in the UK. No matter what their employment status is or what type of job they do, this group of citizens should be offered the chance of British citizenship. To act otherwise would be an opposite to the British way of life and the British way of getting things done.

For those who've become economically bound to the United Kingdom who perhaps have created their own business and even employ others then they too should be given the chance to remain and win British citizenship.

Of course, there will be huge numbers who want to remain in the UK who do not want British citizenship. For this group they'll simply have to understand that a Visa to remain will be required and if they do not meet the threshold of what Britain wants and what Britain doesn't want, then they'll have to either stay or go depending on the outcome of their personal Visa application.

And this measure of who stays and who goes isn't just a British problem. The countries of these millions of people must involve themselves and do everything they can to help or even welcome home their people. It is not for us the United Kngdom to be the only ones to help unravel this complicated social conundrum. All the EU member states should be required to help receive their citizens that we are no longer required to host, house, treat, employ and educate. It's as much their problem as it's ours.

Finally, with the introduction of the new living wage and the predictable surge of migrants who'll travel here to the UK to take advantage of this wealth or to get into the UK before we vote to get out then Britain must produce statutory legislation in parliament that's retrospective and allows us to require this particular group to leave without the opportunity of a Visa right to remain.

I know much of what I'm advocating may sound harsh but for us to regain some sort of control and save the NHS, ourselves, our heritage and our right to govern ourselves, clear lines have to be drawn and we must act selfishly and protect our way of life.

Then, once it's done, and it may take years to complete, once again our great nation can look forward and prosper without being dependant upon a fast developing social, economic and political cross between Communistic ideology and Global Capitalism that the European Union is fast evolving into.

I don't think it's practical, or indeed very fair, to clamp down on 2 or 3 million EU nationals who are already here and who've come over perfectly legally. I think we'd have to bite the bullet and accept they're here. That said I would tell the EU people that if they left the Country then they (and their family) would need to apply for a visa which would let them back in. I would set the qualifying bar to get such a visa quite low. But I wouldn't give one to someone who's been racking up multiple convictions here. Also EU people who got arrested for new crimes I would suggest should have their status here reviewed on a case by case basis. Throw out anyone who met certain criteria.

I understand the point you make Roger but once the Vote to leave is done its unavoidable not to then consider who stays and who goes. Once we leave we can't simply ignore the status of millions of people. How do they work without a status? How do they continue without the status of either British Citizenship or a Visa giving them a right to remain? How do they travel back and forth to the United Kingdom without this very status that'll see them pass through our border control points without any difficulty. If we are out of the EU then the millions of migrants will have no legal EU right to live and work in our Country and so therefore the issue must be addressed.

Fairness or otherwise doesn't enter into it. The people this change will affect will have to either be British citizens or be allowed to remain following a Visa being granted and to do that, and it's got to be done, the Government tasked with extricating us from the Union will have to address this very complicated and sensitive issue.

Personally speaking, I hope and know that this demographic will get treated a great deal better than the way Europe has treated the fleeing migrants who've fled their war torn countries but, nevertheless once the Vote to leave is done its unavoidable for the UK not to address the status of the EU migrants.

It's not a case of clamping down Roger. It's nothing to do with it. It's simply a part of the journey we must all take during what will be a turbulent period of our modern history that sees our Country severing its ties with Brussels. We should also remember that the EU promise was/is you can work and live wherever you choose. The EU has never promised a travelling migrant worker a new nationality and a Britsh home for life. If a member state decides they no longer want to take part in this arrangement we should not be ashamed to acknowledge the change and ask 'what happens next'.

I understand that if Bobbys wish ( and mine ) is granted the Govt. have two years to sort it out , if they fail they have to ask ALL of the other EU members for an extension , if one refuses - a can of worms is opened ! Stand by ! It's going to end in tears

From BBC NEWS

The government is spending more than £9m on sending a leaflet to every UK household setting out the case for remaining in the European Union.

The 14-page document, to be sent to 27 million homes, is designed to respond to public demand for more details about the EU referendum by setting out the facts behind the government's position.

Leave campaigners reacted with fury.

From BBC NEWS

The government is spending more than £9m on sending a leaflet to every UK household setting out the case for remaining in the European Union.

The 14-page document, to be sent to 27 million homes, is designed to respond to public demand for more details about the EU referendum by setting out the facts behind the government's position.

Leave campaigners reacted with fury.

Yep 9 million of tax payers money on what's nothing more than a propaganda leaflet for the vote to stay in rabble.

Yet more proof Cameron is taking the pi*%.

Yep 9 million of tax payers money on what's nothing more than a propaganda leaflet for the vote to stay in rabble.

Yet more proof Cameron is taking the pi*%.

In fairness the Govt. position is to remain in. And they were elected with a majority by us.

The EU has never promised a travelling migrant worker a new nationality and a Britsh home for life. If a member state decides they no longer want to take part in this arrangement we should not be ashamed to acknowledge the change and ask 'what happens next'.

I would love to know what the Polish dentist thinks that I'm aware of ~ she has lived with her family around the corner from me in Moreland Avenue for the last ten years or so. I doubt she is any sort of burden on our society and she is actually enhancing it. If she had letters thru her door suggesting she needs to get a visa or persuading her to change her Nationality I'd be pretty disappointed. 

Jesus Roger! Throw me a bone here! You are one of the brightest in our pointless blogging toolbox so stop pretending to me and yourself that you don't grasp my point. You do! If we leave the European Union, and both you and I desperately want it to happen, then your dentist friend who I'm sure is a delightful loving and genuinely gifted tooth extractor will not be able to remain here under the old rules.

The bloody 'old rules' will no longer apply. This wonderfully gifted dentistry genius will be required to secure their status in our City of Hereford by some other means and it's this bloody means that you and I are nudging one another about. That's me bloody point Roger!

Today this dentist, this remarkable cavity filler, incisor extractor and creator of numb gums can do all these wonderful things because of the EU and it's free movement of people that entitles the dentist and anyone bloody else to live and work in Hereford.

Once we vote to leave and the mechanics are put in place to remove ourselves from this bucket of boll.ocks we call the EU, then this lovely dentist will no bloody longer be able to excercise their EU bloody right to live and work in Hereford because we'll have raced through the door screaming, 'free at last. Thank God we are free at last'. And so, for your neighbour to continue her trade and fiddle about with your upper and lower jaws, she'll be required to get permission from the State to remain and work in the UK.

It's bloody logic. It's all fairly straightforward as far as I can see.

Whether or not this lovely gift to dentistry welcomes a letter through the door that makes mention of British Citzenship or a Right To Remain Visa, is irrelevant. It's got to happen if we leave the bloody EU.

My warmest regards Roger.

You can't get away from the fact that if we leave & I believe we will leave too (fingers crossed) then there will be upheaval but it's a price worth paying in my opinion because if we don't leave…we are screwed…as there will be no way we will ever be allowed another chance to get out in the future,because we will be governed from Brussels so it simply won't be possible (well not without a armed struggle?) while our parliament is diminished to that of a local authority with our voice becoming that of a distant echo…you've only got to look at the Eurovision Song Contest to know this given that we nearly always come last or there about's!

As for those EU peoples who have made a choice to live & work in the UK I feel they are most welcome to stay…so I do not have a problem with that…as we will always need people to help fill jobs…after all there are a lot of people working here who do not come from the EU to work also…so how will they resolve this? I expect there will have to be some sort of amnesty for those that come from the EU who wish to remain so either offered citizenship or applying for a visa to work?

What about the ones who cam in before their country joined the E.U, will they be told to go back as well? Be a bit unfair considering they had to fight tooth and nail to here in the first place and yes I do know of a polish woman  that had to go through hoops to get here.  She does get annoyed about how easy it is now fdor people to come to live and work over here.

I am on the side of getting out of the E.U, we should have been asked years ago, but I do worry about people who  have made a effort to get here and not just flashed a passport/I.D card and walked in.

there will be upheaval but it's a price worth paying in my opinion because if we don't leave…we are screwed…

The referendum was offered as a 'carrot' in the last Tory Manifesto in order to gather more 'swing' voters' .... To get another five year term. I doubt there was anyone thinking in their outfit that (with that bold promise) they would ever be likely to lose it. I doubt anyone at Tory HQ was thinking of an exit strategy. They just wanted to get another five years ..... 

In fairness the Govt. position is to remain in. And they were elected with a majority by us.

I would love to know what the Polish dentist thinks that I'm aware of ~ she has lived with her family around the corner from me in Moreland Avenue for the last ten years or so. I doubt she is any sort of burden on our society and she is actually enhancing it. If she had letters thru her door suggesting she needs to get a visa or persuading her to change her Nationality I'd be pretty disappointed. 

I'm pretty sure there are well over 100 Tory MP's who want to leave the EU Roger

Interesting points.  I talked to a neighboring Polish family only two days ago as I noticed a "For Let" sign had gone up. A nice family. I asked where they were moving to, and the answer was that they were leaving Britain to go to Germany as the guy's job at Sun Valley was under threat, the job in Germany paid more and he was expecting Britain to leave the EU and was afraid they would be "kicked out" and be homeless so better to leave now. He told me that there is a rumour being spread around Sun Valley about redundancies and deportation. I did say that I doubted the deportation bit, but his reply was that he did not want to risk it with his young family so had accepted the job offer and leaves at the end of the month. So sad really, nice polite people who have settled here, children go to local school and speak fairly good English (better than my Polish!) and both working The parents, not the kids. I did not ask if he knew who was doing the scaremongering but then, that's his business.