First Group Buses Hereford

Roger

Ok, I have to apologise for generalising. Both my grandparents were poor, but they were both from the WW2 generation.

I have grown up all my life in villages in rural Herefordshire and all my life I have seen much of the houses bought up by rich (comparatively) people from southeast/London to come and retire here - that's why I think the current generation are all rich, its just what I see around me. 

Anyway, back on topic, A simple means testing for bus passes would seem sensible, similar to what was being proposed for winter fuel payments.

When I go to town on the bus, not often I will admit, but its helpful in that it saves having to park, It can be the case that me and my wife are the only ones on the bus actually paid, that makes the service financially unviable, and I hope to god that these services are replaced with another provider as my wife does not drive and she will not be happy having to be dependant on me to get around.

Herefordshire Council Statement - First Midland bus services

30 June 2015

We are sorry to hear the news of First Midland Red closing the Hereford Depot and the consequent loss of jobs. Herefordshire Council has not reduced any subsidies to First Midland despite the recent budget cuts and most of their services are operated on a commercial basis. Herefordshire Council is confident that other operators in the county will replace the lost services and we will work hard to ensure continuity of bus services in  Herefordshire.

We understand that there will be no changes to services until September 2015. 

I bought my last car 15 years ago, so to get around I use public transport when I need it, otherwise I cycle everywhere, including back and forwards to Royal Mail for work. I have a concessionary bus pass which I find useful, but do not use it very regularly. I used it more in the evenings going into the city, but with the curtailed services, I am loathe to pay for a taxi at £10 to get back to Newton Farm.

On my bike I can get from Newton Farm to Royal Mail in 15 minutes and cycle across the city in 25 minutes. I can also shop using my panniers during the week and do not need to pay parking fees. My bikes have been trouble free mechanically and I do not have to pay expensive service charges as with a car. I have just purchased new panniers to replace my old ones which lasted 16 years. If I see the same usage from the new panniers I will be 81 and hopefully still cycling!

On occasions when I need a car, I hire from Baynhams on Whitecross Road and have found them extremely helpful and reasonable in price. I plan my leisure time to fit in with the use of a hire car and do several jobs to get full value out of the hire . On concessions, I also have a Senior Railcard - day return to Leominster costs £4.70 (normal fare £7.10) and I have just booked a return fare to Poole for £53.45 (normal fare £81.00), plus I can put my bike on the train for free. Of course this is all fine as long as I remain active. I drive enough miles for Royal Mail getting in and out of the van up to 150 to 200 times a day, six days a week, so I do not miss driving or having my own car. Also just returned from Barcelona using a Gatwick Flyer return train ticket for £20.

The council have a Choose How You Move website with some interesting suggestions on how to leave your car at home. The St James area has a car club.

Coming back to bus use in Hereford, I do think that the fares are expensive and cheaper fares would have encouraged more use, especially among the young. Some of the routes seem to have been set in their ways for years. It should all be about convenience. It would be helpful if buses went down the service road along Holmer Road. Also local hop on buses being allowed to travel through the heart of the city ie Widemarsh Street, Broad Street, Bridge Street and St Owen Street, plus a transport interchange at the Railway Station, could drum up more busines from commuters and students.

Basically Hereford is too small, a tram system would be prohibitively too expensive, there are only about 10 operations running in the UK, all costing hundreds of millions of pounds to build and all running at a loss (see Edinburgh for worst case scenario). If our Council are going to build miles of new roads then allowing space for tram tracks would be a better idea for future use.

The only way to get less traffic on the city roads is to do something with the school run. We all have a routine in our daily lives and hopping into the car every day is considered by many to be the only way to get about, or in Hereford's case sit in a traffic jam.

I am sure an independent local bus operator will fill the gap left by First Midland. The council already deal with these operators.

Astons Coaches

DRM Coaches

George Youngs

H&H

Lugg Valley Primrose Travel

Sargeants Bros Coaches

Stagecoach C&G

Yeomans Canyon Travel

Notice that First Midland contracts were to run from

Hereford -Early mornings - 31/08/2008 to 05/09/2015 (City routes)

Hereford Area - 03/08/2014 to 31/08/2019 (County routes)

Is there a cancellation clause?

I bought my last car 15 years ago, so to get around I use public transport when I need it, otherwise I cycle everywhere, including back and forwards to Royal Mail for work. I have a concessionary bus pass which I find useful, but do not use it very regularly. I used it more in the evenings going into the city, but with the curtailed services, I am loathe to pay for a taxi at £10 to get back to Newton Farm.

On my bike I can get from Newton Farm to Royal Mail in 15 minutes and cycle across the city in 25 minutes. I can also shop using my panniers during the week and do not need to pay parking fees. My bikes have been trouble free mechanically and I do not have to pay expensive service charges as with a car. I have just purchased new panniers to replace my old ones which lasted 16 years. If I see the same usage from the new panniers I will be 81 and hopefully still cycling!

On occasions when I need a car, I hire from Baynhams on Whitecross Road and have found them extremely helpful and reasonable in price. I plan my leisure time to fit in with the use of a hire car and do several jobs to get full value out of the hire . On concessions, I also have a Senior Railcard - day return to Leominster costs £4.70 (normal fare £7.10) and I have just booked a return fare to Poole for £53.45 (normal fare £81.00), plus I can put my bike on the train for free. Of course this is all fine as long as I remain active. I drive enough miles for Royal Mail getting in and out of the van up to 150 to 200 times a day, six days a week, so I do not miss driving or having my own car. Also just returned from Barcelona using a Gatwick Flyer return train ticket for £20.

The council have a Choose How You Move website with some interesting suggestions on how to leave your car at home. The St James area has a car club.

Coming back to bus use in Hereford, I do think that the fares are expensive and cheaper fares would have encouraged more use, especially among the young. Some of the routes seem to have been set in their ways for years. It should all be about convenience. It would be helpful if buses went down the service road along Holmer Road. Also local hop on buses being allowed to travel through the heart of the city ie Widemarsh Street, Broad Street, Bridge Street and St Owen Street, plus a transport interchange at the Railway Station, could drum up more busines from commuters and students.

Basically Hereford is too small, a tram system would be prohibitively too expensive, there are only about 10 operations running in the UK, all costing hundreds of millions of pounds to build and all running at a loss (see Edinburgh for worst case scenario). If our Council are going to build miles of new roads then allowing space for tram tracks would be a better idea for future use.

The only way to get less traffic on the city roads is to do something with the school run. We all have a routine in our daily lives and hopping into the car every day is considered by many to be the only way to get about, or in Hereford's case sit in a traffic jam.

I am sure an independent local bus operator will fill the gap left by First Midland. The council already deal with these operators.

Astons Coaches

DRM Coaches

George Youngs

H&H

Lugg Valley Primrose Travel

Sargeants Bros Coaches

Stagecoach C&G

Yeomans Canyon Travel

Notice that First Midland contracts were to run from

Hereford -Early mornings - 31/08/2008 to 05/09/2015 (City routes)

Hereford Area - 03/08/2014 to 31/08/2019 (County routes)

Is there a cancellation clause?

And this is the problem because at this time most transport systems are publicly funded and I can only see this funding going one way and it sure isn't up. Subsidized travel will be gone and sadly so will many current local bus operators who can only function based on these subsidies.

So ..no tram, no buses it's just the push bike or car and what you will use will depend upon distance,health or wealth. ...a tradegy yes but a reality quite possibly.

Of course the council's solution will be a poison pill.." let us build more houses and just maybe ..maybe we will allocate more funds for alternative transport schemes" I can see this coming regarding their response to the proprietary new road objections otherwise known as SC2 relief road.

• 3 weeks later...

Bus services continue in Herefordshire

21 July 2015

Two Herefordshire bus companies have stepped in to ensure the continuation of services to passengers once First Midland cease operations in the county in September.

Yeoman’s Canyon Travel will be providing Hereford area services both commercial and subsidised at similar times to the existing First journeys and DRM will be covering journeys on service 420 Hereford – Bromyard – Worcester.

First Midland currently operates the majority of commercial services in Hereford urban area comprising the following services: 71 Credenhill, 72 Bobblestock,74 Newton Farm, 75 Belmont –Tupsley,78,79,79A,88,88A Hinton, Putson, Redhill, Saxon Gate, Rotherwas.

It also operates a council contract which includes the following services: 426 Bodenham, 437/477 Tillington, 446 Eardisley/Almeley, 453/454 Fownhope/Woolhope.

Cllr Paul Rone, cabinet member roads and transport said, “I am pleased that local providers have stepped in so quickly after First Midland announced they are pulling out of the county. It’s comforting to know that none of the current services will be disrupted.

I’d like to thanks Yeoman’s Canyon Travel and DRM for their commitment to ensuring passenger disruption is avoided.â€

The closure of Hereford depot was announced together with closure of other First Bus depots in Bracknell and Newcastle-under-Lyne in the Potteries as part of First Midland’s review.

Herefordshire Council

While i am pleased that Yeomans is going to carry on with the services, nice to have a local company, i do think this is a opportunity missed to integrate the transport in Hereford. so let someone buy  a day, week or month ticket and that allows then travel in the city for that amount of time.

it will not happen in Hereford as we are so far behind any other place, other places got a far better transport system. You never know it may take some of the cars off the road.

I was speaking to a bus driver today and I asked him what he was going to do in regards to employment he said he is to close to retirement which is next year, and he couldn't do the shift paterns at Worcester,he also said some of the drivers are going to work in Worcester, but said that the service in Hereford city as we know it will change, in regards to frequency of buses.

I must say that I am quite pleased that most of the First Midland drivers and the Companies single decker buses are moving on .

Mrs U and I have , for the last 10 years used the bus from our village to the City at least once a week , we have found that since First Midland took over our route the drivers , in the main have driven at a speed which we considered to fast for the road conditions in a bus that we called a bone shaker . I accept fully that there are some very good drivers but ......... ( what is my expertise in judging the standard of driving - I am an Advanced Driver )

Looking forward to Yeomans taking over the route - should never have lost it in the first place .

• 3 weeks later...
16th August in Hereford Times Letters

IT was fundamentally wrong last time, when car parking charges were increased by Herefordshire Council in order to bolster the adult services budget, and now this stealth tax is being imposed upon us yet again. (On-street parking charges on way?, Hereford Times, July 30) Car parking charges are simply being used as a cash cow. This is wholly wrong since, as I understand it, it’s against the rules of local governance for profits to be used outside of the service area in which they have been generated.

It is fairly evident the only interest the administration seem to have with car parks is the ability to raise revenue, and now they intend to raise a further £1 million with this new review.

Penalty charges have already raised £1.5 million in the last year alone. Parking attendants are required to attach at least seven penalty notices a day.

I call for city car park charges to be ringfenced to be spent on bus services to and from the city since congestion is essentially a city-wide problem, and I would call upon all our city residents to engage with their local councillors to identify which of the services should be maintained by the city, for the city.

The market towns have demonstrated that they can accomplish a proper and beneficial management of their car parks and it is seen to be working. Our city council should be allowed to do the same.

Public transport must be evidentially cheaper than the car for it to be a viable alternative. It must be regular and reliable, so any additional car park charges should be used to provide and maintain the bus service as a cost-effective alternative to the car, and it must be convenient to the shopper and especially for the night-time economy.

Most city councillors would want to see the Hopper bus returned to service our city. Do please get in touch with your local councillor and give them your opinion.

CLLR CHARLES NICHOLLS Bobblestock Ward Hereford

• 4 weeks later...

What the hell is wrong with this city? Get a local company to take over the bus service and then they put the price up, even on bus routes they was doing before First pulled out.

Not just 5p opr 10p, oh no, 20p more expensive now. from town to college Green I just paid £2.00 instead of £1,80. i tend not to use the bus much as it is, I use my legs, so I will be using a lot less, just buying small bits at a time.

No wonder people do not use the buses and the city comes to a standstill most days, I think that what the council wants so they can spend our money on roads that do nothing, so they can build more houses. if people got any sense they would not come to live here. Hereford used to be a nice place to live, but over the last few years it have become a dump, with a council that do not care about the city itself as long as big business is cared for.

I can understand why youngsters go and never come back, they got sense.

What the hell is wrong with this city? Get a local company to take over the bus service and then they put the price up, even on bus routes they was doing before First pulled out.

Not just 5p opr 10p, oh no, 20p more expensive now. from town to college Green I just paid £2.00 instead of £1,80. i tend not to use the bus much as it is, I use my legs, so I will be using a lot less, just buying small bits at a time.

No wonder people do not use the buses and the city comes to a standstill most days, I think that what the council wants so they can spend our money on roads that do nothing, so they can build more houses. if people got any sense they would not come to live here. Hereford used to be a nice place to live, but over the last few years it have become a dump, with a council that do not care about the city itself as long as big business is cared for.

I can understand why youngsters go and never come back, they got sense.

My daughter came in last night and told us the bus fares had increased by 30p (449 route) - no signs on buses to warn people, or notices in the papers, they have just done it. No wonder there are hardly any bus users on rural routes it's cheaper to use a car at £6.90 return!

Moan  Moan  Moan.  All it seems to me is that a firm stands up and delivers a service and decides to charge a bit more for doing it. Wake up people!!  If they are the only ones delivering the bus service, they can charge what the hell they want. If you don't want to relieve the Hereford traffic problem then take your car, pay 2-3 pound for parking, plus your petrol costs and suffer. Yeoman's have given 30+ people jobs. Their families are, I suspect, extremely grateful. Herefordman75 and Adrian Symonds wind your necks in. Be grateful.

The days of a "free of charge"or "subsidized services" are long gone. I,m pleased that other companies have stepped in but the long term future of such services has to be in doubt because of the cost. It's great getting on a bike if your local, but one day the mind and body start to fall out over the realities of putting foot to the pedal!

The future of community/village public transport lies with locally based village share schemes but that takes a few committed individuals and sadly people will moan about what is ....but do nothing about contributing to a positive solution.

Moan  Moan  Moan.  All it seems to me is that a firm stands up and delivers a service and decides to charge a bit more for doing it. Wake up people!!  If they are the only ones delivering the bus service, they can charge what the hell they want. If you don't want to relieve the Hereford traffic problem then take your car, pay 2-3 pound for parking, plus your petrol costs and suffer. Yeoman's have given 30+ people jobs. Their families are, I suspect, extremely grateful. Herefordman75 and Adrian Symonds wind your necks in. Be grateful.

Personally it doesn't bother me how much the bus costs, I drive and cycle to work (8 miles each way). However, it's those on low paid jobs that are the ones who suffer. When they have to spend nearly a third of their wages per week on transport costs, it starts to bite for them. It's all well and good for you "townies" who have the luxury of being a short walk/cycle/bus ride away (with nice regular services every half hour in some cases), but for those of us who live in the outlying villages, it's very expensive to use public transport.

hereforman75. you say, in your post,that it's cheaper to use a car at £6.90 return. So stop moaning and use your car! I choose to live where I do, and you choose to live where you do. Stop moaning. BTW, we get a bus every 15 minutes past my front door. One advantage of being a "townie" eh!

It is not really a small increase, £2 now just to go into town from the college estate. I do not drive,  so if I go shopping, you know this shop local thing, not that is much in town that is local, I got to get a bus to go home or a taxi and with the amount of traffic getting a taxi is getting more expensive.

People need to moan, give it time and Hereford will come to a standstill and even less people will want to visit here, saying that I wonder why people want to anyway.

Still I live in town, so I can walk, I just watch the silly ones stuck in traffic.