Council Farms

Denise Lloyd

I'm sure I've seen a map somewhere this week (was it H Times website, a piece about selling off Council-owned farmland?) that shows where the SC2 route would go through a large area of Council owned farm land. So if they sell it to developers that's where the first area of new housing will be!

Does anybody in the council cabinet actually realise that Herefordshire is a rural, farming community???

These farms are incredibly important and valuable assets.

They are also pound signs in some folks eyes. Greedy, grasping and desperate for a quick fix and a fast buck.

It will be nothing short of shameful, if these farms are sold off, and the tenant farmers booted out.

I'm sure I've seen a map somewhere this week (was it H Times website, a piece about selling off Council-owned farmland?) that shows where the SC2 route would go through a large area of Council owned farm land. So if they sell it to developers that's where the first area of new housing will be!

Council land shown inside blue outline:

post-2-0-38855900-1434144142_thumb.jpg

It would interesting to know the thoughts of the tenant farmer assuming it's land from one council owned farm. Even if SC2 fails the farm could still be sold off though this is under some kind of scrutiny committee which I think Council Sebastian Bowen is involved with. I believe they have put a price on farms in Herefordshire of between £30-£50 million.A similar sell off in Staffordshire has gone away for now.

I wonder if this tenant farmer has been promised anything in terms of compensation should either the farm be sold off or cut in two by the road?

Surely if the Council need to reduce their debts and save money, cancelling the Southern Link road would save us and the Country over £27million? There doesn't seem to be any benefit from this road as it just increases traffic on the A49. However, this map seems to show that the benefit from the road is that the Council must be carving up Grafton, Callow and Belmont for turning their own farms into large housing developments. Someone else told me that that Council own "Hospital Farm" on the edge of Burghill which is where the last section of the Western Relief Road is to go through high grade agricultural land to the north of Roman Road. I couldnt understand why this new section of road was required when the Council have already upgraded the Roman Road but if they are looking to sell all their farms for housing development all is now clear why they haven't renewed any agricultural tenancies.