Hereford's Belmont Rd Flats Demolished

Colin James

Yes,they are knocking down all the flats between now and 2017 and replacing them with 2,3,4 bedroom houses some to buy some to rent. There will also be 14 1 bed bungalows that I asked to be built for our elderly residents, there are  2 blocks of flats one block is being built in Beattie Ave as we speak, they are 4 storey 1 and 2 bed in same block, and another block the same in Broxash Drive. I have seen inside the houses they are bigger than I thought, the tenants from the flats who have moved into Vortex Way are very pleased with the new houses.

Yes,they are knocking down all the flats between now and 2017 and replacing them with 2,3,4 bedroom houses some to buy some to rent. There will also be 14 1 bed bungalows that I asked to be built for our elderly residents, there are  2 blocks of flats one block is being built in Beattie Ave as we speak, they are 4 storey 1 and 2 bed in same block, and another block the same in Broxash Drive. I have seen inside the houses they are bigger than I thought, the tenants from the flats who have moved into Vortex Way are very pleased with the new houses.

While this is good news surely there will be less homes if they are replacing the blocks with houses?

There were 194 residents living in the flats with 259 houses being built, 130 of those are for HHL tenants. Some people said they wanted to move away from Newton Farm and were given three  choices of properties to choose from and a sum of money from the government (not HHL) for loss of their home. 19 people had bought the flats in Kilvert Road which they sold back to HHL at the going rate. Leaving the tenants  that are waiting to move into the new houses. The bungalows will be built between 2016/17. for any elderly person who wishes to move into a bungalow. The flats that have the shops underneath at the Oval are NOT coming down but will have high standard refurbishment inside.

There were 194 residents living in the flats with 259 houses being built, 130 of those are for HHL tenants. Some people said they wanted to move away from Newton Farm and were given three  choices of properties to choose from and a sum of money from the government (not HHL) for loss of their home. 19 people had bought the flats in Kilvert Road which they sold back to HHL at the going rate. Leaving the tenants  that are waiting to move into the new houses. The bungalows will be built between 2016/17. for any elderly person who wishes to move into a bungalow. The flats that have the shops underneath at the Oval are NOT coming down but will have high standard refurbishment inside.

Will the appearance of The Oval flats with shops underneath have an exterior makeover ... ? Always thought they looked awful ... 

Roger - yes they will have a makeover.

Greenknight - the Oval regeneration started in 2012, with the developers, Keepmoat got the contract with design of what the properties would look like. then HHL had to apply for government funding and eventually a planning aplication was submitted and approved hence why the actual demolition of the flats only started last year.

Roger, the property that I live in is 60 years old, but like the Oval flats they are PRC (pre-reinforced concrete) properties and the faults in the structure had gone beyond repair. The people living in these flats deserve a home that is dry and warm, and for many the first time they have had a garden of their own for their children to play in safely. Would you like to clarify your statement " we all know why all that got built ".

Having seen the artists impression of these new homes, I can honestly say they are a huge improvement on what is currently there....they look lovely. They will make wonderful homes for many families.

(By the way, Colin.....great pictures once again!)