Hereford's High Town set for £2.5m investment

Roger

A Hereford Civic Society colleague has just sent me this note:

Just noticed on page 27 in last weeks HT a disgracefully tiny piece from the BID group (assume its all HT could be bothered to give them, but it is VERY short notice) asking for the public’s views on the city centre!

As this is the heart of the The Business Improvement District group, it would be useful if anyone who has John Jones’ ear could persuade him to a) delay closure of survey – deadline this Friday 5th – and b)  if they would like some help in publicising this extremely important survey around the county’s networks, of which HCS is one.

Another lack of proper consultation.

Can I suggest that it will be a waste of time re-vamping High Town unless the burnt-out River Island site is dealt with. Can you believe we have been looking at that eye-sore for five years?

The owners, F & C REIT, have gone bust so surely the Council now have an opportunity to purchase the derelict site and take control of s situation that us demoralising the historic shopping area?

Can I suggest that it will be a waste of time re-vamping High Town unless the burnt-out River Island site is dealt with. Can you believe we have been looking at that eye-sore for five years?

The owners, F & C REIT, have gone bust so surely the Council now have an opportunity to purchase the derelict site and take control of s situation that us demoralising the historic shopping area?

The Queen was driven past it (fire shell) in 2012 and I think I moaned then that it had already taken too long to rectify the situation.

The first thing I'd do with this £2.5M tho is to pay off/get rid of that squeaky kiddies ride in front of Marks & Spencer .... Adds nothing to the City and is just trash in my view .... 

The Queen was driven past it (fire shell) in 2012 and I think I moaned then that it had already taken too long to rectify the situation.

The first thing I'd do with this £2.5M tho is to pay off/get rid of that squeaky kiddies ride in front of Marks & Spencer .... Adds nothing to the City and is just trash in my view .... 

On the contrary Roger, I often take the grandkids to town and they love going on this ride. I think it is only in during the holidays and seeing their little faces and those of other children cheers me right up.

Lets remember High Town will never be the privately managed elitist Old Marking type shopping centre but a community and civc space accessible for all.

IMO any money available for refurbs should first be spent on St Peters St and Commercial St which desperately needs it. High Town was only done about a decade ago - looks a bit shabby in places though such as the paths with lettering missing.

There are some fabulous photo's of High Town in the seventies on I think it's Old Hereford Pics, which my other half showed me the other week. It looks far better and cleaner then, than it does now! (Even with cars still driving past the Old House!)

And yes, there were trees! A bit of urban greenery makes the world of difference. It softens the landscape no end, and provides shade, when we eventually get some decent weather!

The seating also needs to be looked at. Those metal slatted benches in Eign Gate are the most uncomfortable I've ever sat on...... very unforgiving on the derriere!

I don't dislike the Children's ride, to be honest, I hadn't noticed that it squeaks! But it perhaps would be better sighted slightly further away from the al fresco coffee carts!

Yes Dippy. Some all year round greenery would be good ( not counting the Christmas tree ).

The flower planters should be in soon which helps.

Agree there should be more seating, though this needs to be balanced against street clutter.

Am damn sure what ever happens not all people will be satisfied, all of the time.

Too right!

I've posted previously about the importance of shop fronts/displays as well. The old Chadds building looks horrendous with stuff piled up on the pavement and racks of hi-viz jackets!

A good clean and tidy, a washing of windows and a bit more care taken of window dressing , could all be done cheaply and easily, and would improve the "kerb appeal" of High Town no end.

It would have a very positive impact on city dwellers and tourists alike, who visit Our City!

And yes, there were trees! A bit of urban greenery makes the world of difference. It softens the landscape no end, and provides shade, when we eventually get some decent weather!

I know the trees went to get rid of the pigeons that lived in them. Maybe additional greenery that didn't attract a pigeon to sit on it?

Hopefully we will soon see the handyman in with that the BID team are employing.

I'm not sure if he still does the role (as I'm rarely in town) but Alan Jenkins used to do the handyman stuff in town ~ and opening/shutting the gates in Widemarsh Street. He was very good I thought. 

I know the trees went to get rid of the pigeons that lived in them. Maybe additional greenery that didn't attract a pigeon to sit on it?

I'm not sure if he still does the role (as I'm rarely in town) but Alan Jenkins used to do the handyman stuff in town ~ and opening/shutting the gates in Widemarsh Street. He was very good I thought.

Yes, I know Alan Jenkins - he is still around but BBLP pull him out of the city centre to do other stuff a lot these days.

There is definitely some element of neglect in High Town and the surrounds, so hopefully the additional janitor from the BID will improve things.

Yes, I know Alan Jenkins - he is still around but BBLP pull him out of the city centre to do other stuff a lot these days.

There is definitely some element of neglect in High Town and the surrounds, so hopefully the additional janitor from the BID will improve things.

Or bring back Alan Jenkins? His role wasn't a sweeper upper but he was always about  ..... 

Well I'm all for a bit more greenery and the appointment of a high town caretaker. The pigeons are a pain but earlier this week I watched a daring raid by a female sparrowhawk who trashed in on some pigeon party by the derelict site ( as stated before sadly so long as it's safe there's zip the council can do but be sensible when an eventual planning application comes in!). Occasionally the Perigrines call in but to be honest the Herring Gulls are the problem..they are making a lot of mess.

I don't mind the kiddy ride but that's only because it winds old Roger up so much and it detracts from the constant sewer smell by the HSBC.

Bloody sure one day that's all going to collapse!

I am glad Greenknight referred to the sewer smells in Hereford by HSBC. It has been like that for years but no one else has ever mentioned it and I thought it was only me who found the smells in the City Centre very embarrassing when showing off your home town to visitors. I tell people it is something like in York where to give people the idea of a medieval City they pump rotten smells around the museum there! Also, the smell of drains is very bad often just at the end of Capuchin Lane as you come into High Town. Will BID or Herefordshire Council sort these drains out as part of the centre centre investment plans?

I noticed today that some of the stones that the City Council put down with brass lettering have now been replaced with some smooth black tarmac. Was this left over from another job and BB didn't want to use it on any potholes in Hereford?

Brilliant Slim!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::          :::::::::::::::::            :::::::::::::::::::::::              ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Those brass letters were never going to last long......

We have so many skilled crafts people and stone masons in this county, why couldn't we have had the stones engraved properly, like they have done with the edging kerb stones around The Cathedral?

Aesthetically, it would look so much better...... and would also stand the test of time!

High Town smells???? Church Street, as you go up, between High Town and The Grapes is just awful!

Good to see the BID team have agreed with some of us posters!

The first thing they are doing is a "deep clean" of High Town, with empty shop fronts and windows being given a bit of a lick and polish!

I wonder if they will tackle the disgusting Chadds building??

I also wonder whether the Chadds family will be shamed into contributing towards the costs??

Good to see the BID team have agreed with some of us posters!

The first thing they are doing is a "deep clean" of High Town, with empty shop fronts and windows being given a bit of a lick and polish!

Why can't this basic work be done by people sentenced to Community Service? It's safe work at ground level in a pedestrian zone. I know it's tidying up neglected private property but it's a bigger picture than that. I dunno what a 'deep clean' involves but what's wrong loosing off a jet washer in those doorways and washing the grime down a drain?