Is democracy dead?

megilleland

Yes 'Uncle Bob' Barnes got a letter last December outlining a very exciting plan for a fantastic sports facility in Ledbury. Uncle didn't think this was relevant to share with the town council (of which he was mayor), the Neighbourhood Plan (of which he was chair), the Sports Federation (of which he is chair) or anybody else, except 'two or three' town councillors.  Mmmh. I wonder who they could have been.

This proposal was sent to Uncle as the Mayor and he was expressly asked to share it with all interested colleagues... nope: it wouldn't be of any interest to anyone he thought.  

This proposal was received just about the time the Cricket Club (chairman Rob Yeoman, Deputy Mayor of Ledbury, and vice chair of the Sports Federation) were seeking planning permission for their own building development to help them get their very own new cricket field. 

Could this alternative plan have meant that planning permission wouldn't have been granted for that proposal, given the potential for a much better plan that would have benefited the whole of Ledbury, not just its cricketers?

It's all very confusing. 

Interesting goings on at Ledbury again.  Basically Ledbury Town Council have dispensed with the team of volunteers preparing the Neighbourhood Development Plan and voted to hire the services of a Cheltenham based company.  Comments must have been getting a bit hot because HT have now closed commenting on the following article

4398139.jpg?type=nile-list&htype=333
Councillors "not made aware" of sports ground discussions

Remember his face last seen on these pages dress in his mayoral outfit

Anyone vaguely interested in this story can read my blog: www.richhadley.net/ledbury-blog/a-triumph-of-stupidity

Thanks Dippy. We're in a struggle with the old guard who want to keep things stitched up for themselves, and a more progressive movement committed to openness, democratic accountability and positive change. It is depressing when you find what you thought were friends and allies swinging in the direction of the most unsavoury and unethical elements in the council. And don't even talk about the blatant bias of the town council office staff in favour of Barnes and his crew. The place feels like a horrible dictatorship. I swear they'd have me and few others done away with if they could. Unbelievable.  

Well, you have a supporter in me, for what it's worth.... which probably isn't much!

You have great tenacity, and a determination to see that decisions made, are for the good of the community as a whole. Not just to suit the few, who have had things their own way for far too long.

It's so difficult when you're up against the mentality of "This is how things have always been done. And we don't take kindly to it being questioned."

But question it you must.

As I said on HT before comments were deleted, if it looks dodgy, feels dodgy and smells dodgy...... chances are it probably is!

(And while you're here, could I just take the opportunity of thanking you, for your wonderful work within Ledbury, at raising money and supplies for the refugees. You're a good man.)

(Thanks for the "Yahoo! " Denise..... just a fleeting visit to HV, but this story was definitely worthy of a comment!)

Thanks Dippy. We're in a struggle with the old guard who want to keep things stitched up for themselves, and a more progressive movement committed to openness, democratic accountability and positive change. It is depressing when you find what you thought were friends and allies swinging in the direction of the most unsavoury and unethical elements in the council. And don't even talk about the blatant bias of the town council office staff in favour of Barnes and his crew. The place feels like a horrible dictatorship. I swear they'd have me and few others done away with if they could. Unbelievable.

Trouble is it isn't unbelievable Rich.

Just when you think you have gathered a fleet of ships flying the pennant of " openness, democratic accountability and positive change" the flags are dropped and the jolly Roger appears and the carving up of the spoils begins.

Real change will come eventually but it's source won't derive from current council processes and it certainly won't be to everyone's liking.