Decriminalize Cannabis.

bobby47

Man this is a old debate . Still I'll put my two pennys worth into this. Honestly I think we need harsher penalties for anyone caught with this drug. Now before I get shot down with a hail of fire let me tell you my reasoning

I've grown up in a generation which has been smoking from a young age,a fair few of my friends in their early teenage years partook and I can tell you that out of the 7 I knew well enough possibly one has come out of it unscathed. The rest of them have various personality traits which you could class as extreme,memory loss,paranoia,anger control issues and a few even went down the road of harder drugs.

Now I'm not saying my experiences are typical but I do believe that if there where harsher penalties for possession and dealing then the way things played out with my mates could have been much different

Yep...this has also been my experience and if it were not for the fact that I have seen occasional benefits for the few I would have jumped off the fence moons ago.

i have to agree harsher penalties are the way forward. I have this in the house to the left of me, above and to the right in my block of flats, further three houses in my street, and one of these dealing in drugs. I have reported this to HHL as they are all their tenants. I have been trying to get this sorted for the last 5 years. I have repeatedly told the police, to no avail,a senior officer in HHL told me that " if they terminated their tenancies of people taking drugs half of their properties would be empty" I told her she should be ashamed of herself for saying that. What concerns me is that young children in these properties is inhailing this stuff. In my case I cannot open my windows because of the smell and it is also filtering down to my home. I know some of you may say why don't you move, but why should I be the one to move!. It is about time HHL and the police did something about this.

I've grown up in a generation which has been smoking from a young age,a fair few of my friends in their early teenage years partook and I can tell you that out of the 7 I knew well enough possibly one has come out of it unscathed. The rest of them have various personality traits which you could class as extreme,memory loss,paranoia,anger control issues and a few even went down the road of harder drugs.

Hello solidus snake welcome…at what age did your mates start smoking?

When Bobby introduced this topic he suggested that cannabis was no more dangerous than drinking or smoking which is possibly correct though I do believe it is on a par with both. Once you are introduced to it this extended anorexic rolled up paper becomes your friend. You seek it out for comfort in troubled times of mind,body and soul.But then one day and for some,this little friend gets inside your head, questioning, doubting, this thought provoking little sod creates fears,anxieties and paranoia.

This 'friend' you turned to has turned upon you, and that stick thin, gaunt,aging old chap is no longer astride your finger.....it is you!

Thanks solidus snake 14/15 if they were smoking skunk at that age I'm not surprised they have suffered with mental health issues…but if the penalty had been stiffer would that have prevented them from using it?

It's is easily available as there is a lot grown in this country years ago you could only get hash or other resins as it was smuggled into the UK & was not as potent as want the weed is today & if there's a demand there will always be those willing to supply as the money to be made by the growers can be a considerable amount.…while it is illegal there is no real control over it,because there are no rules,guidelines or regulations so maybe prohibited is not the right way is my thinking.

At lest any taxes raised could be used to help fund the NHS?

I guess there are pros & cons for both sides of the argument!

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/17/heres-why-weed-is-stronger-today-5628029/

Agree Greenknight. A lot of ill people are using it for medicinal purposes with a lot of success. Inexpensive cures for cancer do exist but are systematically blocked by Big Pharma because they come from nature and cannot be patented. Legalise cannabis, tax it and put the money back into the NHS. It's already happening in the US.

Some strains of cannabis can have as little as 0.3 percent THC by weight. In other strains, THC makes up 20 percent of the weight in a sample. Average THC concentration in marijuana is 1 to 5 percent; in hashish, it is 5 to 15 percent, and in hashish oil, it averages 20 percent. THC in recreational doses of marijuana is highly variable and the lower the THC content in the marijuana, the more the user must consume to produce the desired effect. UK "Homegrown" marijuana is low in THC, compared to that of "au natural" marijuana of warmer climes.

In Morocco they only smoke Hashish, with connoisseurs preferential to resin oil!

THC can be extracted from marijuana, or synthesized, as is the case for the approved drug dronabinol. Dronabinol is used to treat or prevent the nausea and vomiting associated with cancer medicines and to increase the appetites of people with AIDS.

The way it is controlled today is not really controlling it solidus because policing it at present is akin to shovelling money into the firebox of a runaway train! As I can't see how the police are winning this one given the amounts being grown in the UK today so giving little need to smuggle it in…being that is the case where is the control as it's already illegal?

While treating those who do develop mental health issues from its consumption that is payed for by the tax payers while the criminal gangs growing & distributed it pocket all the money as it remains illegal where as if it was legal it can be control more efficiently through legislation plus the money collected through taxes can be used to help fund the NHS for treatment not just for that but other things on the NHS too?

But if you want to deter people from using it at a young age then there needs to be better education on its uses & effects but that also costs money

Portugal (I think) took the step of de criminalizing all "hard" drugs a few years ago. Rather than making it a custodial punishment ie prison, they offered rehab and help to addicts to get off whatever they were using. Maybe worth our government looking at this option instead.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/portugal-decriminalised-drugs-14-years-ago-and-now-hardly-anyone-dies-from-overdosing-10301780.html

Decriminalize it, regulate the supply and make some revenue from the sales. If it's grown and distributed properly, then the criminal supply will eventually fall off, as it becomes non profitable. There are (effectively) co-ops in operation around the country, groups of tokers who grow and distribute between themselves, thus keeping the quality the same, and avoiding the criminal funding element by re investing the money into supplies.

Personally, as long as you are over the age of 21, then I see no problem. The biggest issue is where teenagers use it while they still have "squishy" minds that are developing, then it can cause longer term effects. I know a few people who use it regularly and have no issues with it, mental or otherwise, and they all hold down full time jobs - obviously they do not have any while working, only during their own out of hours time.

• 2 weeks later...

I read today somewhere that you would need need to smoke 320 joints (presumably in a day) to obtain a death certificate! However if you were still able to read said death certificate, cause of death would read "Carbon Monoxide Poisoning" not cannabis overindulgence! Who'd of thunk it!!

I read today somewhere that you would need need to smoke 320 joints (presumably in a day) to obtain a death certificate! However if you were still able to read said death certificate, cause of death would read "Carbon Monoxide Poisoning" not cannabis overindulgence! Who'd of thunk it!!

more like if you could be a) bothered to read said certificate and b) if you hadn't used the certificate to skin up with :D

• 2 years later...

I see that the government are at last looking into the use of medical cannabis & would seem that a change in the law which is long over due is coming…next they will have to look at recreational use to if Theresa May wants to find the extra billions in tax to pour into the NHS then legalizing its recreational use could help fund the NHS…we are behind the times on this whether you agree or not Canada are have pass a bill to legalize it…it's also ludicrous to have a ban substance but yet be the biggest exporter of it? As the UK was the main producer and exporter of cannabis-based medicines in 2016, according to the UN's International Narcotics Control Board (INCB). 

• 2 weeks later...