Bedroom Tax

Glenda Powell

I have heard today that some elderly residents have got confused as to who has to pay and who does not in regard to bedroom tax, if you are over 65 like myself you do not pay. Or If you live in a property that now doesn't meet your needs and you wish to move into something smaller. Please contact me and I will help you!!!

I have heard today that some elderly residents have got confused as to who has to pay and who does not in regard to bedroom tax, if you are over 65 like myself you do not pay. Or If you live in a property that now doesn't meet your needs and you wish to move into something smaller. Please contact me and I will help you!!!

There is no 'bedroom tax' ... It's just that the Govt. are not giving you free money to rent a property with a 'free' room ... The money run out  ... Been in the news since about 6/7 years ago ... 

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Wow....that's amazing Councillor Powell because I have already started helping a couple with their Housing Benefit because they are not getting what they are entitled to....and they live in the Newton Farm Area too

Are they the couple I told you about Councillor Powell? 

Wow....that's amazing Councillor Powell because I have already started helping a couple with their Housing Benefit because they are not getting what they are entitled to....and they live in the Newton Farm Area too

Are they the couple I told you about Councillor Powell? 

Oh no here we go again...

Thank you for the brief explanation CVP at least now I know my mum is safe, I was a little confused but she is 72 so all good. 

• Guests
Guest smartieno1
Oh that's really odd because as everyone can see..... I have clearly copied you into the e-mail below: 

Philip Smart <smartieno1@googlemail.com>
15 May (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to benefitsgpowellBill
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr Norman,

I have no idea if you knew or not but the Council were involved in a case that involved a disabled couple, who needed separate bedrooms and were therefore exempt from the Bedroom Tax.  I was contacted by another couple yesterday from Newton Farm who want me to help them because they are being charged the Bedroom Tax despite the fact that they need separate bedrooms due to medical and/or disability issues.

I have no idea why the Benefits Team or your legal team have not taken the opportunity to review every case of disabled couples who need separate bedrooms, do you?

Can you also confirm what you would like me to do to help this couple challenge the potentially erroneous decision to charge them the spare room subsidy or bedroom tax?

Yours truly,

Phil Smart

And you are copied into Bill Normans response back to me:

Norman, Bill
16 May (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to GlendameBenefits
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr Smart

Thank you for your email.

If you let me have details of the couple in question (assuming they wish you to act on their behalves) I will ask one of my lawyers to discuss with Benefits. It is probably unlikely that the matter will previously have been referred to legal.

Regards

Bill Norman 

Bill Norman

Solicitor to the Council 

Tel: 01432 260200

email: bill.norman@herefordshire.gov.uk

Therefore I am interested to know if it is the same couple because it would make sense for us to work together.... to help this couple and if it is not perhaps you might like to allow me to deal with the matter as I already have the attention of the Council's Solicitor?

Oh that's really odd because as everyone can see..... I have clearly copied you into the e-mail below: 

Philip Smart <smartieno1@googlemail.com>

15 May (2 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to benefitsgpowell, Bill, Frank Smith
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr Norman,

I have no idea if you knew or not but the Council were involved in a case that involved a disabled couple, who needed separate bedrooms and were therefore exempt from the Bedroom Tax.  I was contacted by another couple yesterday from Newton Farm who want me to help them because they are being charged the Bedroom Tax despite the fact that they need separate bedrooms due to medical and/or disability issues.

I have no idea why the Benefits Team or your legal team have not taken the opportunity to review every case of disabled couples who need separate bedrooms, do you?

Can you also confirm what you would like me to do to help this couple challenge the potentially erroneous decision to charge them the spare room subsidy or bedroom tax?

Yours truly,

Phil Smart

And you are copied into Bill Normans response back to me:

Norman, Bill
16 May (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to Glenda, me, Benefits, Frank Smith
cleardot.gif

Dear Mr Smart

Thank you for your email.

If you let me have details of the couple in question (assuming they wish you to act on their behalves) I will ask one of my lawyers to discuss with Benefits. It is probably unlikely that the matter will previously have been referred to legal.

Regards

Bill Norman 

Bill Norman

Solicitor to the Council 

Tel: 01432 260200

email: bill.norman@herefordshire.gov.uk

Therefore I am interested to know if it is the same couple because it would make sense for us to work together.... to help this couple and if it is not perhaps you might like to allow me to deal with the matter as I already have the attention of the Council's Solicitor?

Oh behave, anyone could type that, have a look, I have just added my name to the email too.

I am not being funny here but smartieno1 you seem hell bent on trying to provoke and I notice you have thing about trying to trip up CVP? You do not need to flex your muscles on here, you could of simply just sent her a polite pm. I once had a lot of respect for you, I can see you are keen to help others which is a good quality, but you just appear to enjoy trying to prove how clever and wonderful you are and how terrible and useless anyone in authority is and how you could do it so much better. We all have a moan but there was no need to reply directly in the manner that you have for all to see, what's that all about? 

Just to confirm why I did not receive the email is simply because my council email system has not been working for 5 days therefore I cannot access any emails from council or constituents. Most constituents pick up the phone, stop me in the street, on the bus etc they prefer the personal contact, although I do contact anyone who sends an email by the same evening I received it. I receive between  100 to 150 emails a week so I have to keep on top of things.

Just to confirm why I did not receive the email is simply because my council email system has not been working for 5 days therefore I cannot access any emails from council or constituents. Most constituents pick up the phone, stop me in the street, on the bus etc they prefer the personal contact, although I do contact anyone who sends an email by the same evening I received it. I receive between  100 to 150 emails a week so I have to keep on top of things.

So are you saying that there is no point in emailing you Cllr?

I do however agree with Frank's comments to smartieno1, no need to be personally attacking other people who are equally trying to help others, particularly those people who have been elected. A simple phone call or private message would of done the same job. 

We all complain about the council and some of the stupid decisions made but a lot of your more recent posts come across as  quite personal, I notice that you direct a lot directly at Cllr Powell, it has just turned a genuinely kind topic into one full of unpleasantness. 

Bill, I have been told by council that the fault would be fixed tomorrow, so anyone can then email me if they wish. I time manage myself and answer all email whoever they are from on a daily basis, because there is nothing more frustrating as to not knowing what is going on or unanswer emails. I send an initial email or make a phone call to the resident advising them I have received their message if I have been able to deal with the matter on that day I advise the resident what the outcome was or that I need to look into the matter further either way they know whats going on and I am on the case.

Smartieo I have noted Mr Norman reply to you, (as you have put it on this website) and that he asks you for the people details I hope you will do as he asks so that he can passed the matter onto the benefits team to deal with or he may contact me as the elected councillor for the ward to advise me of the outcome!