Buckingham Pub To Become A Tesco Express

A former Hereford pub could be turned into a Tesco Express according to this article in the HT.

The supermarket giant has bought the lease of the former Buckingham Inn pub and has set the wheels in motion to turn it into a convenience store - creating up to 20 jobs.

The Buckingham on Whitecross Road will go the way of the Game Cock pub after the latter was converted into a Tesco Express on Holme Lacy Road in 2010.

Buckingham.jpg

I can see why Tesco were attracted to this site ... You can easily make that a shop and it has ample parking ...

e4f7.jpg

It will obviously impact on Craig Bradbury's shop which is on Cotterell Street which is probably only 100 yards away ... But my perception of that shop is that it is seriously tired ... Probably handy for getting cigarettes or a paper but I can't imagine it has much of a food selection other than a few staple items ... Plus the parking situation is a bit dire ...

pbce.jpg

I think Craig runs (or did run) Wathen's Newsagents in King Street, Hereford as he seems to have a small empire of these small shops going on. I particularly liked the Mothers Day window display in Wathens last year. It was inspired ... :-) 

jaey.jpg

As mentioned in the HT article there is no issue turning a pub into a shop as regards to planning as you don't need to apply for a change of use. Tesco won't be bothered one bit that they will further saturate an area with another shop as they are purely looking at whether the venture would be profitable. One shop that might get seriously hit is the Co-Op up by bargain booze because that slip road outside the shop is a nightmare to use with a car. Any car customers could easily switch to somewhere more convenient to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Vodka and Malteasers! I'll have to remember that one.

I, too, can see why they would go in there and I think it would be very convenient to all of the people living in the surrounding area. It's quite densely populated and apart from that little old shop, it's quite a walk down to Whitecross roundabout.

Not to mention that the newsagents at the top of the Monument hill has gone, much to my dismay last week as I pulled in for a drink ready for a long journey :P

• 3 months later...

Are these generally the opening hours then for these Tesco Express stores??

They aren't 24 hours are they?

I don't think the opening times are set in stone but 6-23 seems pretty common. The one on Holme Lacy Road is 6-23 as a direct comparison.

• 1 month later...

Well.....according to a banner that has gone up, the new Tesco will open on September 23rd.

There is no information about opening hours, but I guess we will know soon enough!

Is Cotterell Street Street stores still trading? I remember you could go there and buy 10 Embassy from the machine outside ... That was the 1970's tho ... !!! 

Hi Pete,

A chap called John was the landlord for many years.(He would always put out the beautiful hanging baskets that used to adorn the pub.) Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. The pub had quite a bit of money spent on it, and reopened doing food regularly....but it just wasn't enough.

Many of us have done "The Sunday Circuit" around Whitecross.....and folks would always call in at The Buck for a drink...but usually ended up in either The Brit or The Plough.

The Cotterall always had a lot of pub teams to support it, darts, pool,skittles etc. and I think The Buck used to do this as well. But after John passed away, I don't think they kept up with this aspect.

I have no idea if they tried to sell it as a going concern - I don't recall ever seeing any of those "Could you run this pub" banners outside, which often seems to accompany unopened pubs. With The Cott closed as well....The Sunday Circuit will never be the same again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, it's now open for business!

With a free cash point on the outside wall in the car park too!

I popped in for some milk earlier, and a quick look around. Just one disappointment.....the pool table has gone. I think Tesco may have missed a trick there. Keep the pool table I say, or at the very least, the dartboard. It could have made for a very interesting addition to the shopping experience!

• 2 months later...

Sad news.

I have just returned from the funeral of Jane Oates - legendary landlady of The Brit.

She was a wonderful,warm  and caring individual, who spent much of her life making other people happy. I have so many fond memories of Jane and Al during their years at The Brit.....the sing songs, the lock ins, the amazing New Years. A terrific couple, who made everyone feel at home.

The Brit was never the same once they had retired. The turn out today was standing room only, and the wake held at the pub, where for so long she had served us all from behind her bar, a real tribute to her.

Jane truly was an amazing individual.Her loss will be felt by many.

They don't make landladies like her anymore.

R.I.P Jane.....I shall raise a glass to you tonight.

Sad news.

I have just returned from the funeral of Jane Oates - legendary landlady of The Brit.

She was a wonderful,warm  and caring individual, who spent much of her life making other people happy. I have so many fond memories of Jane and Al during their years at The Brit.....the sing songs, the lock ins, the amazing New Years. A terrific couple, who made everyone feel at home.

The Brit was never the same once they had retired. The turn out today was standing room only, and the wake held at the pub, where for so long she had served us all from behind her bar, a real tribute to her.

Jane truly was an amazing individual.Her loss will be felt by many.

They don't make landladies like her anymore.

R.I.P Jane.....I shall raise a glass to you tonight.

Hello Dippy

I just wanted to thank you for your kind words, My mum was a wondeful lady and i know she would be touched to know you came to the funeral and will miss her. She had a huge heart and loved her friends greatly treating most like family.

Thanks again

Jason

Hello Dippy

I just wanted to thank you for your kind words, My mum was a wondeful lady and i know she would be touched to know you came to the funeral and will miss her. She had a huge heart and loved her friends greatly treating most like family.

Thanks again

Jason

My condolences to your family Jason your are very welcome on our forum I just wish your joining was at a better time for you.

My condolences to your family Jason your are very welcome on our forum I just wish your joining was at a better time for you.

A friend / member of this forum found the post by Dippy and forwarded it to me. i am glad to be here and hope read and join in on some lively topics.

Jason

Hello Jason,

What an incredibly sad time this is for you and your family. Your mum was one of a kind. She absolutely made that pub, she and Al were quite a team.

I am so touched that you have taken the time to register, and respond to my post.

You and your family are very much in my thoughts.

Warm regards,

Dippy.x

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...