Question About the New Bit...

Biomech

I see that they have added plants to that middle section of Newmarket Street now. I must admit, it looks just like Milton Keynes, sticks coming out of grey concrete.

aaannnyywaaaayyy...

That middle section is very wide and goes all the way down the road. Can someone just fill me in on why it's so wide the whole length? They aren't expecting/allowing people to use the entire stretch of the road as a crossing point are they? So that people can just cross where ever and whenever they like? I was under the impression that there would be dedicated crossing points, even if they didn't have traffic control.

I attempted to cross this road today - the dust, dirt and noise were dreadful!!

I seem to remember reading that they intended to put "cycle parks" down the middle!

If I have remembered correctly, some of us thought it a bit of a daft idea.....why not at one side or the other? why slap, bang in the middle of the road??

They also promised that it would be "tree lined".

I shall wait and see if they keep this promise!

It's going to be a "linear park and vastly improved public realm which will help to unite the (OLM)  with the city centre."  That’s what it said on one of the master plans, so it must be true.

There will be dedicated crossing points, with traffic control, and you also have the option of chicken running to the middle section to lock/unlock your bike.

Obviously what is being built bears no resemblance to the original proposals, having been 'value engineered' by Stanhope, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Two Wheels,I seem to recall you telling me about some sort of "herding" system??

Pedestrian pens, I think you may have called them!!

Are they still part of the plan now?

I cannot see why the new right turn lane has not been finished yet that is causing traffic build up due to one lane being closed..It look ready for a bit of tarmac.Maybe they have run out of the black stuff filling all the bloody potholes.

Has anyone else noticed that despite the Council and the Hereford Times stating there will still be two lanes in each direction after reporting the stretch would be reduced to a single carriageway there only appears to be one lane going eastwards whilst two westwards towards the Steels roundabout? Perhaps they settled on a compromise.

P.s. Spotted a tied up tree. There are about 8-10.

post-946-0-52106500-1395312726_thumb.jpg

Yes John! You are quite correct!

They are bound and gagged!

I came down Newmarket Street towards Bath Street this morning, and realised that the "sticks coming out of grey concrete" that Biomech alluded to, are in fact the promised trees!

I couldn't see this, when I came out of the back of Maylords the other day!

I came down there yesterday and agree with whoever pointed it out above, there really doesn't appear to be enough width for 2 lanes.
Maybe they are making them super narrow so people are overly cautious and drive slower? Of course, that's not going to bode well with the emergency services, buses and artics that use the roads

Two Wheels,I seem to recall you telling me about some sort of "herding" system??

Pedestrian pens, I think you may have called them!!

Are they still part of the plan now??

The crossing from Tesco (where the old subway was) does appear to have a traditional staggered pen arrangement, although its not entirely clear from the drawings. Bike racks appear to be on the other side of the railings, so you have to walk in the road to get to the central reservation.
The crossing at Widemarsh Gate will be as it is now - controlled by traffic lights - but without railings.

The drawings do show two lanes in each direction but the space for the central reservation has been taken from the eastbound side, making it rather narrow and the westbound side is wider (the same as existing). They're both the same width at Widemarsh Gate.

Evening Biomech!

Just wondering if you have seen the latest "Newmarket Street Update" over on HT?

It says.....works will be finished in time for the Grand Opening of HMP Hereford!

Well, at least that's what I think it says....its about as clear as mud!

It also says Wide marsh Gate will be reduced to one lane whilst they FAFF about with that bit, and Newmarket Street will have 2 lanes Westbound and 1 lane Eastbound, whilst they FAFF about finishing the pavements for the hordes of pedestrians eager to spend their unauthorized overdrafts !

Though that's been the case for weeks now, surely??

Don't know why FAFF has gone all upper case on me, but I don't expect it will cause anyone undue concern, so I shan't even attempt to edit it!!

I may have mis read it but on the FB OLM (or whatever it is called) site it says it is not a shopping centre but 2 roads with 14 shops and that there are 300 shops in the proper town.  With only 14 shops and taking into account the expensive go nowhere link road this makes for 14 very very expensive to build shops.  How on earth are they going to recoup this kind of money.

You won't have a choice roxane, all of the shops from high town are going in there. Once TK maxx, H&M, Fat Face and River Island are in that leaves pretty much the tiny space downstairs in New Look as a place to buy mens clothes. Unless you're slightly older and shop in M&S.

I'll continue to do my non food shopping in Worcester and Cardiff, far more choice.

Edit: Sorry I forgot Next, I forget that because it's "out of town" at the moment, but that's going in the OLM as well. So much for the blatant lies that we'd get new shops and town shops wouldn't be moving.