Rone & Atkinson

bobby47

Some weeks ago, Councillors Paul Rone(no embarrassment is intended) and Andrew Atkinson put forward a motion for Councillors to take a cut in their pay packet.

My initial reaction was to hurl bile and phlegm upon these two lads suggesting that it was a political gimmick designed to win favour from their constituents and upon the pages of the Hereford Times, I kicked them as hard as I was able to.

Then, after giving it some thought, which is what I should have done in the first place, but because Im dull I didn't, I realised that this was no gimmick. It was simply two young lads choosing to do things in a different way. They simply wanted to raise the issue of huge and unsustainable salaries that exist within the Council and set an example in the hope that others would follow.

Im given to understand that when these two lads tabled their suggestion within the Council Chamber they took a kicking from all who were in attendance.

I am aware of the views of Councillor Powell but Id like to know what our other Councillors think about the Rone/Atkinson proposal and explain to us why these two lads didn't receive any support for what was a thoroughly good and well intended suggestion.

I'd like to know what our Councillors think about this issue and why it was that their suggestion was met with hostility.

My view is that these two lads tried to break the mould and thought in a different way which is what I now want from our local leaders. I want free thinkers who are prepared to think outside the old ways of delivering democracy and approach local issues in an entirely different way. I believe, after some reflection, instead of hurling shouts of 'gimmicks' and other choice words of derision, I should have said, 'well done'. I'd be very grateful if our new Councillors would take the time to explain their views on this issue and perhaps shed some light upon why it was that they were subjected to a political kicking.

My warmest regards to you all.

I was also in agreement to take a 10% cut in our allowances, some might say that it is easy to say this when I wasn't at the meeting that is why I wrote a piece in the HT supporting them. That said I would expect all the top managers, cabinet members and officers to take a cut in their salaries at the same time and what money was saved should go into frontline services such as children and adult social care.

Thank you so much for your reply Councillor Powell. I am looking forward to hearing what the other Councillors have to say and just in case this issue slips off the radar, Im going to post something once every few days so that this topic appears noticeable and the other Councillors don't miss out expressing their view upon this issue.

I was appalled to hear how they were treated after suggesting that. They were mentally kicked in the face for trying to do the job properly and, in my opinion, the reaction and comments from fellow councillors was nothing short of threatening. I quote;

{they made} “one hell of a mistake†{by asking}

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/10573785.Herefordshire_councillors_claim__allowance_cut_vote__was_a_big_mistake/?ref=rss

Bobby47 wrote

I am aware of the views of Councillor Powell but Id like to know what our other Councillors think about the Rone/Atkinson proposal and explain to us why these two lads didn't receive any support for what was a thoroughly good and well intended suggestion.

That is a very good apology Bobby , appears that the "other Councillors " who were very quick to chastise publicly Cllrs Rone/Atkinson are very slow in giving their reasons - or perhaps they are forming a Committee or Sub Committee to give a collective reply . Personally ,I believe that they are hiding under their stone and afraid ,singularly , to reply to a simple question.

Ubique, We've simply got to be patient my good and old friend. Time is on our side. It's all a matter of time. We wait patiently. Eventually, one of our Councillors will follow Councillor Powell, grasp the nettle and offer up a view. We've got all the time in the world. Mind, if Im sitting here next Pan Cake bloody day still waiting then I'll have formed the view that they are burrowed in and they ain't keen to come out and talk about this issue.

No, Im very confident that our new colleagues will think, 'this is an important issue and one worth discussing with our constituents'. They'll comment. Im sure of it.

Councillors could propose to take a 10% cut and be identified on the Council website in the same way their party is identified. For example Councillor Atkinson (VRP)  The acronym standing for Voluntary reduction in pay. It would certainly earn the respect of the public and you never know it might even shame the others into following suit?  Probably a really stupid idea but I'm nothing if not consistent! :tongue_32:

One councillor we can be sure won't pitch up here is Cllr Philip Price, Cabinet Member Highways & Transportation. At a meeting last week with two of the Edgar St lime tree campaigners, they were slightly stunned to be told that he didn't "give a sh1t" what local people thought because he's 65 and not standing for re-election. Just coasting then, happy to take the coin. Staggering that he was offered the position, took the position and intends to keep it, despite his deplorable attitude.

Cllr Price is a Non Executive director of Hoople Ltd.

• 10 months later...

I have just read that Andrew Atkinson will stand down as Councillor at the next election, as he has been selected to stand as the Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Wrexham, which is his home town.

Regardless of his political colours, I think he was essentially a good bloke. I recall trying to persuade him to stand as an Independent, at a time when just one less Conservative Councillor would have had an impact.....but he was having none of it!!