Vandalised picnic benches

twowheelsgood

• 6 months later...

Colin, the bulk of this thread has disappeared, including my original pictures.

I went past the site today and I guess this is what passes as a repair these days under Balfour Beatty. It's very sad to see everything sliding into disrepair and decay.

Whilst I was there looking out over the huge area of uncut grass, it occurred to me that this would make really good organic hay - any farmer should get two cuts off this field through the summer.

Glenda, how about a bit of lateral thinking and offering it to a farmer in exchange for a free cut or two? There'll be usual health and safety ninnies moaning - give them a red flag to wave while the tractor is around.

Seems like a good idea to me - anyone else?

post-858-0-12891800-1402242706_thumb.jpg

post-858-0-92356300-1402242715_thumb.jpg

A good suggestion Two Wheels....certainly one worth following up.

I have asked Colin about parts of threads disappearing, and he says he pressed the wrong button when he was adjusting something!

He has said he will attempt to rectify it when he returns from Corfu!!

That bench looks mighty comfortable to sit down and eat your egg sandwiches......!!!

On my ward walkabout two weeks ago in Newton Farm / Hunderton with BB steward as part of that walkabout was also the fields area (Shaw walkway) where the picnic benches are he took photo's of the benches. He has been on Holiday but back tomorrow I will contact him in the morning to see when this work is going to be done.

• 2 months later...

On my ward walkabout two weeks ago in Newton Farm / Hunderton with BB steward as part of that walkabout was also the fields area (Shaw walkway) where the picnic benches are he took photo's of the benches. He has been on Holiday but back tomorrow I will contact him in the morning to see when this work is going to be done.

What was his response? Coming up for a year now ...

• 2 months later...

Well, well, I cycled past these benches today - oh, dear lord, they've been repaired! About a year of chasing by Cllr Vaughan has finally got them back to usable. What a sorry state of affairs - the amount of effort required to get the simplest of things done  is just absurd. We've lost all sight of common sense - it should be so simple - man walks/cycles all public spaces on regular basis, notes things that need attention, gets them done. That’s how it used to work with direct labour. Now, it's entirely reactive - unless the public report it, it doesn't get done, and even when they do, it still doesn't get done. Witness the ongoing saga reported here about the Great Western Way redundant posts and fly tipping.